“Rita is an institution as Alderney's premier restauranteuse”
Review of The First and Last

The First and Last
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Alderney
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2013

After a long delay we once again went for a meal with friends and were greeted by the lovely Rita. The service was excellent, aware but not invasive. My filet steak was all I would expect with a delicious poivre sauce. There was a plentiful supply of vegetables to go. Afterwards I had a delicious blackcurrant sorbet. Rita was in attendance occasionally to check on our comfort.

1  Thank roger f

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our first visit many years ago was a very pleasant accident. After a long, slow Channel crossing from the Solent, we came across friends in the harbour who thoughtfully went ashore and booked the closest restaurant they found whilst we removed the first six inches of salt from our faces and tried to tidy up. The dinner that night was superb and we have never experienced anything else since then.
Our most recent experience last month was excellent. After another superb dinner (crab bisque and perfect steak), we found ourselves the last to leave, and Rita's bank card machine wouldn't oblige. Knowing we were sailing to England first thing in the morning she just said "please pop a cheque in the post". We visit no more than once a year, so we are not exactly well known. We were contemplating other establishments (perhaps not on Alderney) that would have marched us up the road to the cashpoint machine.
Well done to the First and Last and keep it up!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Other reviews have commented on the decor which is a little dated. However the food was very good and the service was friendly and efficient. The prices were sensible and we would go again.
Make sure you book a table upstairs as the view across the harbour/bay is absolutely beautiful.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I will start by quashing the previous bad review on here. The decour is perfectly in keeping with the surroundings, that of a seaside restaurants. Is it modern and contemporary? No. If you want that walk 5 feet across the road and overpay for it there. It is however cheerful and light hearted.
Musty? Well clearly that persons highly developed sense of smell, evident by his Sancerre comments, picks up on this musty smell. I however did not and even if I did would put it down to the fact this restaurant faces the sea, after the monumentous barber wall it is the first building being hit by the elements.
Everyone here is enthusiastic about the place, it is evident from the reception and the service all night. I do not want some dunce bouncing around me for my entire meal. I want polite, courteous and attentive. Exactly what we received

Now for the food. It is not trying to win a Michelin star. On an island such as Alderney I demand sea food. I see no point in visiting a place such as this beautiful island and not. The menu is not printed in fancy calibri font on off accrue paper. It's hand written and simple. Any chef worth his salt will tell you lobster is best at its most basic. We enjoyed a fantastic Thermidor and garlic butter both shared between 2. And trust me you can easily screw up a thermidor
To start a lovely potted haddock. Delicious. The strawberry ice cream my fiancée had was the best homemade ice cream I had had and the tiramisu was again homemade and delicious. Our wine was both reasonably priced and perfectly lovely.

Was it cheap? No. Was it good value for money which in my book is far more important. Yes it was. On a previous visit to the island we did visit across the road and paid more for frankly a lot less

Now the view. Alderney is stunning. We where extremely lucky to get a window view upstairs and outside was a choppy and dramatic back drop.

Go. Only the Georgian in town comes close and they do not have the views

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Agree that the haddock ramekin is amazing. Also enjoyed the lobster Thermidor. Thoroughly recommend the meringue for pudding.

Would have given 5 stars but I felt all of the food was served slightly too hot.