“Amazing scenery but over-priced”
Review of The Cutter Inn

The Cutter Inn
Ranked #10 of 118 Restaurants in Ely
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This place is pleasantly situated right on the bank of the river-with amazing views of the boats and surrounding country. But the food and drinks are very expensive and, whilst nice, it's difficult to agree with £13 for chicken in BBQ sauce and cheese. The staff we're friendly and service was quick but the prices let the Cutter down.

There are newer reviews for The Cutter Inn

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked as a treat for a birthday,wish we hadn't bothered,should have know as soon as we arrived,table booked for 7 people and when we arrived we were shown to a table for 6,when we commented on this we were told by the surly waitress oh well one can sit on the end and preceded to put up another place on the end of an already smallish table,not good enough!! why when you have a table booked for a certain number do they not have your table set for said amount,we did ask to move to a bigger table but was told all the other ones were booked up later,after some huffing and puffing we did eventually get moved to a table that they pulled together with the help of a more helpful member of staff,ordered food which I have to say arrived promptly,starters looked good,bit bland but alright,then onto the main course,nicely plated pub grub at best,if it wasn't out of the deep fat fryer it was little more than cold,if food is supposed to be hot make sure it is,one of our table had breem fillets and they were the smallest I have ever seen and at £ 16 I thought this was a joke,she even got asked if she wanted to add any extra dishes as the fillets were small,should have been given one not asked to pay at least £2.95 for a few veg to fill their already meagre portion,needless to say wont be going back,was in the catering business for 35 years and feel they are just going on the rep of being in a lovely setting,but really need to up the game as don't expect they will get many repeat customers.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have just had one of the worse Sunday lunch's ever - all the more disappointing because I had invited relatives from the USA to join us there. Embarrassing and disappointing.

Specifically - the meal took an hour to arrive (I could live with this if at had been wort waiting for), broccolli was uncooked, potatoes tasted mouldy, "nut loaf" was devoid of any nuts and was covered with a piece of goats cheese not mentioned in the menu, and the meat eaters found the meat was incredibly tough.

We did complain and got a 10% discount - but they need to up their game as I'm not tempted to come back. The staff clearly didn't believe there was anything wrong with the food or simply didn't care, they were just going through the well practiced motions with the refund .

I'm a bit worried because I hear that the excellent Boathouse restaurant opposite is being taken over by the same chain (TLC inns) that run the Cutter....soon Prezzo will be the only place to go for food in Ely....

Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was my birthday and my partner asked what restaurant i would like to go to for a meal, having recently been to The Poets House Hotel, i decided to go for The Cutter as the only other time i had been there before was for a set meal at Christmas
The food was excellent we both had steak and on the menu it gives you the choice of steak, how you would like it cooked and then what sauce
For the starter i wish there had been a little more of it!!!!
The only downside for me was when asked would i like anything else mustard, mayonnaise etc, it comes in the bottle or jar!!!!
Also i would double check your booking as my partner rang the restaurant to confirm the time and they said they had no record of the reservation, but lucky they were able to fit us in

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a late lunch at this old inn on the banks of the River Ouse, It has obviously been refurbished recently and the large restaurant is modern, extremely smart and unfussy. There weren't many diners by the time we arrived so we were able to eat by the window overlooking the river.

A comprehensive menu included homemade soup, pie and curry "Chef's ... of the Day" along with many other options. The food arrived very well presented and was, without exception, absolutely delicious. I notice that they do also have Gluten Free and Children's menus. Service was brilliant and I really couldn't fault the place. Great thought has been put into the décor throughout the inn even in the spotless loos!

We really enjoyed the whole experience and would certainly highly recommend the place - we look forward to revisiting on any future trips to Ely.