“Best place in the city”
Review of Boathouse - CLOSED

Boathouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: There are few more attractive places to eat in Cambridgeshire than looking down the river Ouse as you enjoy a meal of fine British cuisine supplied with the Boathouse’s unique European twist. The inners of the restaurant calmly reflect the tranquillity of the riverside setting, but whilst you relax you can also peek at the chefs hard at work in the open plan kitchen, perhaps cooking up the locally caught eel which often features on the Boathouse’s a la carte and light lunch menus. Service is friendly and efficient, the wine list is extensive, and the Boathouse is delighted to host occasions ranging from a quiet lunch on the riverbank to a cheery evening feast.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place in the city”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

It was third time I was here and I came with my best mate for lunch more like wine and shared few little dishes for 4 for 10£ which has been really tasty interesting flavours and well seasoned! Local cider with 2great wine pinot grigio and and muscat from south France!!! Great waitress-and she always veen serving me!!! Great day!!! Thanks

Shropshire
“Enjoyable evening”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

First night in Ely. Four of us had a very enjoyable meal. This was servd by a smiley, helpful waitress called Heather. Vegetables were included with the main courses, although the men added chips as well!

It was at least open on a Sunday evening so deserves extra praise for that.

1 Thank CravensShropshire
Ely, United Kingdom
“A shadow of it's former self.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We ate here for lunch. It was a lovely sunny day so we sat out on the terrace overlooking the river.
The tables were grubby with peeling varnish, and the chairs were too low so you ended up at an awkward height to eat. If you were really short your chin would be on the table!
The sullen waitress was totally disinterested, and we felt she was only there under protest!
We ordered wraps and chips, and Pimms and lemonade to drink. The Pimms was served in a pint beer glass with a slice of lemon in it, that was it
The wraps we're dry and tasteless.
We have been here many times over the years, and have noticed recently it sliding downhill.
We won't return until changes hands, or someone realises why they're losing custom.
A shame.

2 Thank MrsC186226
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good value, but changed ownership”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We went on a hot summer's day, and it was lovely to sit outside along the riverside with drinks, and lunch was fab too. I had the fish pie, and there was a nice amount of prawns, haddock and salmon - nothing fancy - but the mash and cheese topping was good, as was the sauce. My friends had fish and chips, and sausage and mash - all traditional dishes, but well cooked. However, ownership has changed to the proprietor of the competitor - the cutter inn - so it remains to be seen if standards hold up, but I hope it will.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Chris C
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“A disappointment”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband has been ill and as a thank you for my care and attention (!) he wanted to take me out for lunch. Our two favourite local restaurants were full so as we were going to the wonderful Topping & Co bookshop I suggested The Boathouse not knowing it had changed hands.

The restaurant was empty when we arrived which was surprising for 1pm on a Saturday.

The Manager who it turned out was from The Cutter Pub looked ill at ease, I don't think it was quite his scene! We opted for a mixture of starters I opted for Cheese Straws and a fishy dish, my husband for haggis and pork scratchings. The cheese straws were not that nice, the outside hard and the middle too soft.

For my main course I chose beef in a wrap. The beef was tough and impossible to cut with an ordinary knife let alone bite. The chips were enormous but good and it was served with some
salad. My husband opted for the beef suet pudding, no potatoes but it looked quite nice. I had to 'unwrap' the wrap to try and cut the meat. I may as well have chosen a veggie meal as the meat was inedible. I did tell both the waitress and the manager that the beef was too tough to eat, who both said that it depended on the cut of the meat. No reduction in cost was offered.

The pannacotta pudding was the best part of the meal and my husband's ice cream looked nice.

The restaurant did get a little busier, the sun was out and there was some passing trade.

It is a lovely position by the river, but parking is an issue as there is only a very small car park within close proximity and another one a fair distance away which is not that big either. This was an October day goodness knows how easy it would be to park in the summer.

I left feeling very disappointed, they will certainly have to do better to maintain the standard that Cambcuisine have set.

We were recommended other establishments by a member of staff in the bookshop, so despite the lovely river view, which incidentally one can only see from a couple of tables we will probably not return.

1 Thank HoptonCintra