“A special place”

Old Fire Engine House
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“A special place”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place was a real "find" - and quite close to the cathedral. We did not have a long wait in the bar. The restaurant , accessed via the small, busy kitchen, had the intimacy of an old-fashioned but airy private dining room and the lady who served us was charming - chatty and helpful although we could see how busy she was: the place was full. The meal was absolutely delicious &
we would recommend having coffee outside . The garden is lovely - with a little secret part behind the trees.
Upstairs is a gallery with work by local artists - and in the bar is a picture of the fireman who were based here (a nice touch)
All in all, a memorable visit.

1 Thank pamadele

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Home from Home in a amazing way!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I ate here last week with another couple. We were delighted by the whole evening. The Old Fire Engine House is beautiful and full of charm with some quirky twists. You go through a standard front door to be greated by the only waitress in the building. This lady works her socks off from start to finish. We were taken through to the bar to have an ice cold wine and a beer. It was a lovely evening so we were offered a seat in the garden to look over the menu. The garden is a delight. we ordered then went into one of 2 possible dining rooms.

The food was of the highest order with the Sea Bass stealing the show. The service remained perfectly all the way through.

The waitress then asked if we would like seconds or try anything else off of the menu!! What a great touch!! I had a little taster of the chickent dish which was almost as good as the sea bass.

The desserts were heavenly.

I will be visiting the Old Fire Engine House for years to come!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank KevIn W
cambridge
“Really good”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a reservation at 7:30 for dinner to celebrate our 2nd weeding anniversary. We where greated as if we where entering a friends house for dinner with a lovely welcome and a 'what can I get you to drink' attitude. We choose our food and sat down in the bar for ten minutes after which we where seated at our table, We had to walk through the Kitchen to our table. We sat down in a lovely room surrounded by art works (all for sale) and a beautiful old stone floor. Our food was excellent with no compliants! After I had finished the rabbit on my plate I was asked if I wanted some more meat! Graciously thinking it might just be the dregs from the pan I said yes. A couple of minutes later half a Rabbit arrived!! Myself and my wife really enjoyed ourselves great food and great service. The traditional sherry trifle was amazing too!

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Charming restaurant with good food and service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A charming restaurant with outstanding quality of food and excellent service about a five minute walk from the cathedral.
We were a party of four and all pronounced our food delicious. I had the salmon, others had the chicken. We all had the gooseberry and apple crumble for dessert and it was out of this world. A quite good choice of wines was very reasonably priced.

Overall, an excellent choice if you are in Ely.

Ely, England
“Consistently lovely!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went to TOFEH for my birthday a few days ago, the 25th anniversary of my first visit when we first moved to the area.

It never lets you down; quality, consistency and even some of the staff from the first visit, have given great service on many occasions during the 25 years.

We both had very good trout with horseradish to start followed by pigeon and bacon casserole. The pigeon was actually a whole bird, beautifully cooked, and when seconds were offered we received another whole bird each! My partner had the Cambridge Burnt Cream for dessert and i had my favourite ice cream with chocolate sauce and nuts, both of which were delicious.

There have been many pretenders to the crown in Ely over the years but, for me, none have compared. Locally people may sometimes say it is rather expensive, or nothing much changes,but my view is that both topics are easily answered; the prices reflect the quality of what is provided, everyone is always offered extra, and local,seasonal food is repetitive of course. Open kitchens, which you walk past on your way to the tables, tells me there is nothing being hidden or covered up; can the same be said of some chain restaurants with vast menus being offered?