All reviews copper bath valet parking the study afternoon tea crisps beautiful hotel wine list dining room free standing copper large walk in shower master room boutique hotel birthday treat cream tea sandwiches wow factor small things
Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

Lovely hotel, excellent afternoon tea and breakfast. Beautifully cooked.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The heating was hard to control and the windows didn’t open. Too hot!

The French barman thought rather a lot of himself and was slow serving us. He needs to learn the importance of serving customers and understand he is there to serve!

Would recommend!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
Customer_Champion, Front Office Manager at Poets House, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Poets House, I am pleased you enjoyed the afternoon tea and breakfast!

It is very tricky to gauging the temperature throughout the building to ensure that everyone is comfortable – we have noted your comments regarding the temperature in your bedroom and also in the Study lounge. Reception are available to help with such matters 24 hours and would have been more than happy to help adjust the AC setting in your room to help make it more comfortable for you.

We have also taken on board your comments with regards to the service in the bar.

Thank you again for your review and we hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Poets House in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed January 1, 2018

We stayed here New Year's Eve and wow what an amazing hotel. Our room was one of the most comfortable, luxurious and relaxing we have ever stayed in.

We dined as part of the New Year's Eve celebrations, the food was exceptional as were the cocktails and entertainment. We found the staff to be friendly.

We often visit Ely and Poets House we will definitely be staying there in future.

Room Tip: Suite 8 with a spectacular copper bath in the room
Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Customer_Champion, Front Office Manager at Poets House, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of your stay at Poets House! It was lovely to welcome you to the hotel and the team will be delighted with your comments.

We wish you a very Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

With kindest regards

Reviewed December 31, 2017

Lovely hotel, very well presented and breakfast is good. Heating control in bar area and bathrooms needs checking as it was far to hot.

Barman / Cocktail Waiter need addressing as a matter of urgency. He is rude, unapproachable and difficult with customers. He really lets the hotel down.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled with friends
4  Thank James G
Reviewed December 27, 2017

Just spent the Christmas break with my family at Poet’s house. Great ambience, beautiful rooms with feature copper baths, one of which was certainly a highlight of my stay! Tasty plates of food with a very well paced Christmas lunch and staff on hand who were both pleasant and obliging, with nothing being too much trouble. A really relaxing break in a very individual, little gem of a place. I would highly recommend and definitely re-visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Ely Cathedral
Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Mandy S
Customer_Champion, Front Office Manager at Poets House, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2017

Dear Mandy

What wonderful feedback! We were delighted to welcome you to the Poets House and very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, cuisine and service.

The team will be most motivated to learn of your feedback.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Poets House in the near future!

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 22, 2017

I booked a room, breakfast and dinner at this hotel for my wife as a surprise Christmas treat. Unfortunately, from the moment that we arrived to the moment that we left, there was one word that was continually used by the staff. SORRY!

This is the story of our visit...

1) On arrival, we checked in and the receptionist was about to give us directions to the offsite car park when I checked that we had booked the Valet service. She checked and yes. Sorry!

2) We went up to our room and it wasn't the room that I had booked. It didn't have the bath in the room. The surprise Wow factor that I had hoped would impress my wife didn't really happen. Back down to reception and the room was changed. The receptionist confirmed that yes there was a note on my reservation stating this. Sorry!

3) We booked dinner for 7.30pm so went down to the bar at 6.45 for a drink. Although warmly welcomed, and assured that we would be collected for our meal, it took twenty minutes for my wife's cocktail to arrive. There wasn't any Pimms. Sorry! We are just checking elsewhere. Sorry! When it did arrive, it was in a teacup. Now I am no cocktail expert but I was sure that it shouldn't of been in a teacup. My wife didn't want to spoil the night so she asked me not to make a fuss. (more on this later!)

4) At 7.55 pm, we asked the waiter if our table was ready in the restaurant. He asked for our names again and then went to check. Sorry!

5) On his return, we were taken into the dining room that had a number of empty tables. Sorry!

6) Our drinks were brought with us by the waiter, including my wife's untouched cocktail, and placed on the dining table. The original bartender noticed and came and asked for some feedback on the cocktail as he had never made it before. I had just paid £6 for a cocktail that tasted disgusting and that the bartender had never ever made. Surely if something is on the drinks menu then the bartender should know how to make it. I'm sure you can guess the response. Sorry!

7) At the end of the meal. my wife ordered a desert and I ordered a coffee. My wife's desert arrived but no sign of the coffee. I asked the waiter and he said that there had been a problem with the till. Sorry! My wife had finished her desert before my coffee showed up (15 minutes later). We decided to take it back to the room and not to visit the bar again as we had originally planned. I couldn't stand any more waiting!

8) At 5am in the morning we were awoken by a bin lorry directly outside our bedroom window.

9) At checkout time, I was asked if our stay had been good. I was completely honest and said no it had been a little disappointing. The ladies at the reception listened carefully and said that they would remove the cost of the cocktail. When looking at the bill they said that we didn't seem to have been charged for the drinks so the staff may have already deducted it. It was only when I arrived home, and on closer inspection, that I noticed all of the drinks, including the cocktail, had been included in the dinner bill.

10) On arrival, we had booked for the valet service to bring our car to the reception at 10am. As we were leaving I was handed a set of car keys that were not mine. Now I drive a Dacia Duster and the keys were for a top of the range Range Rover that was parked outside. I would of been happy with the swap but I doubt the Range Rover owner would of. When I pointed out that they keys were not mine, the same answer... Sorry!

11) We then had to wait twenty minutes whilst our car was brought around to us. Sorry...again.

Now, this was supposed to be a treat for my wife and much as we enjoyed each others company, it didn't feel right to be charged just over £300 for one night bed, breakfast and dinner with such a catalogue of waiting around. I cannot fault the staff as they are polite, hard working and a credit to the establishment but the systems that you would expect to be in place in a four star establishment are absent.

Would I visit again? No
Would I recommend this hotel? No
Do I wish that there was some sort of system to demand a refund on a nights stay in a hotel? Yes

£300 is a lot of money for one night and as such I would expect a higher quality service and not to hear the word SORRY so much.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank andy h

Dear Mr Hudson

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Poets House, it is always disappointing to receive negative feedback, our team work hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their experience with us and clearly we have fallen short of our own expectations during your stay.

We have taken note of the points you have made and would like to assure you actions have been and will be taken to try ensure such errors are prevented in the future.

We would hope you may allow us an opportunity in the future should you return to Ely to welcome you back to Poets House

Kind Regards