“A tea for every occasion, relaxed, good books (and coffee)”
Review of Samovar Tea House

Samovar Tea House
Ranked #2 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Ely
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Ely, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A tea for every occasion, relaxed, good books (and coffee)”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I like this place. I'm a local and so I go a lot and enjoy the friendly atmosphere. Although I'm a coffee drinker (and they do good coffee) I've now ventured into unknown tea terrain. I like a Darjeeling with something else (?) but Sophie and Marta are tea experts and so can advise.

The gluten free brownie with vanilla ice cream is delicious but there's plenty of other homemade cakes. They are one of the few places you can get sourdough bread in Ely (toasted with liberal amounts of butter).

I should mention that the place is very pretty, they selling charming little teapots, teas and other tea essentials.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jo B

cambridge
“I'd visit every day if I could!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I love this tea house. It is my favourite restaurant in Ely. Sofia and Marta are what make it so special. They are always friendly and attentive. I also really appreciate their help in selecting a new tea to try, otherwise I'd probably always have vanilla or jasmine! :) They are so knowledgeable and always suggest a tea I love. I have even converted my husband from a tea to a coffee drinker.

The cakes are fresh and delicious. Although, I would like to see them vary the choice a little more but that perhaps because I visit too often. The chocolate and beetroot cake is fab as is the lemon drizzle. My favourite was the blackcurrant Victoria sponge - it would be great to see that more often.

Lunch is always Lovely. There is a nice selection if soups, paninis and sandwiches. Ingredients are fresh and tasty.

It would be wonderful if one day per week they would open a little earlier at 9am. A group of mums often meet for tea after school drop off at 8.30am so at the moment we have to stick to nero's as an hour is too long to wait around. We would definitely go to samovar tea house instead if it opened 30 minutes earlier!

Can't wait for my semi regular visit tomorrow morning.

Visited May 2013
SamovarTeaHouse, Owner at Samovar Tea House, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Really glad you like our cakes and you enjoy coming to our shop. It's a good idea about opening earlier. We are actually in the midst of planning an earlier opening, with more breakfasty items. So, watch this space (check out our facebook page etc) for more info of when this will happen.

Happy tea drinking.
Sofia & Marta
Ely, England
“Truly delightful”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Such a refreshing change from the horrible generic coffee houses that currently blight the town centre. The owners have crafted an entirely original concept based on traditional Eastern European tea houses. The concept started as a stall on Ely market so I am delighted that they now have a permanent home. The food is delicious - freshly prepared and baked - with some delicious and unusual selections - today I had chocolate and beetroot cake. There is an extensive tea menu including their own blends, which can also be purchased. The ambience is very relaxed - there is a library where you are encouraged to browse and swap books and all pots of tea come with extra hot water to encourage you to relax and linger. Coffee is available for coffee fiends, but with an original twist - Polish and Russian coffee and for chocolate lovers a superb white hot chocolate. The opening hours have recently changed so they are closed on Mondays but open later in the week. This would be a good spot for a weekend brunch, and also for business meetings during the week. You can also purchase here all the tea making accoutrements you could possibly want. I predict they will need bigger premises very soon.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank GhengisKitty
SamovarTeaHouse, Owner at Samovar Tea House, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you so much for a lovely review. We're delighted you enjoyed our little shop so much!

Many thanks
Sofia & Marta
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely charming tea house”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Dropped in here on a day to Ely on the recommendations here and had a good time. A lovely, charming tea house with a good range of teas, light lunches (sandwiches, soups, and a variety of daily specials) and cakes, perfect for catching up with friends. The atmosphere is relaxed, decor slightly mismatched but very homey and rustic feeling. I spent a very happy afternoon there reading and drinking tea and did not feel chased away or pressured to leave, which was brilliant. A great little place to hide away in and recharge. Will definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Pit Stop @ Tea House”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited for the first time today for a light lunch. Internally the place is decorated superbly, love the retro feel and relaxed atmosphere. The ladies looked after us very well inside and really did want feedback on the food, the pride being taken in the food/drinks and wanting peoples thoughts is truly underestimated. I keep clear of the big chains and I'm delighted Ely now has this establishment. I will compare to peacocks, as most local people who use one will try other and appreciate both. The selection of teas is as good, and the cake is on a pare aswell. I would defiantly recommend the beetroot & chocolate cake, delightful. My girlfriend and I will definitely be returning and since there is more cake I wish to try, I won't be complaining.

I would expect this place to get much busier once people become aware of the quality. Congratulations to the owner and staff, please try and keep your individuality.

• Visited April 2013