“Great Sunday Roast”

Ranked #18 of 110 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A delightful pub and restaurant idyllically situated on the banks of the River Great Ouse, just north of Ely in Littleport. All of our food is freshly prepared and made on our premises from the very finest of locally sourced ingredients. We supply an range of cask beers including guest beers from local micro-breweries. We can cater for all occasions from a romantic meal for two to weddings, christenings etc as we have a fully equipped function venue.Riverside seating is available on our large decked area plus private moorings are available.
Cambridge
“Great Sunday Roast”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We met some friends for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The service was efficient and very polite. The food came quickly (we had our 2 kids, so that was a bonus) and was really tasty. Sometime you go for a roast and it's bland, dry and over-cooked, but we got tender meat, nice veg and perfect roasties, which make a Sunday roast! The puddings were generous and tasty. We'll go again and i'm sure we'll take others with us.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never fails to impress”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

On Sunday (May '13) we went for our second visit to the Swan for an impromptu Sunday lunch with friends & family, having previously been for an evening just with friends. Both times I cannot fault the place. The food was lovely (I can certainly reccomend the roast beef followed by the pavlova) and portion sizes were spot on. The belly pork & fish&chips also seemed to go down well given by the empty plates all around the table. The kids loved the landlord Tommy, who made us all feel very welcome. I can't wait to come back in the summer (if we ever get one) to have a sandwich on the terrace on the river. Highly reccomended if you are in the area or passing on a boat.

Ely, United Kingdom
“First visit excellent, second was my last.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited the place December 2012 and had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch with excellent service and overall was very pleased with the experience, however second visit was no where near so good, service was completely lacking, think they had a big party in and everyone else seemed to get forgotten, food even though I order same as last time was 50% inedible and went back. Why the big variation ?

• Visited March 2013
Stansted
“Enjoyable Lunch”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My friend and I returned the the Swan for lunch today after having visited once a year or so ago and liked the riverside setting. We tried to visit when it was closed for refurbishment so were keen to see how it had changed.
We were pleasantly surprised. The décor and comfort felt just right for a 'foody' pub; we were in the bar but the dining room looked very pleasant also.
The choice of ales and wine by the glass was good and the food menu for 'light bites' gave plenty of choice. It was good to see a hygiene rating of 5 too!
We were greeted by pleasant, friendly staff and did not have to wait too long for our food to arrive. We both chose the ciabattas. I had smoked salmon, cream cheese & avocado filling which was very fresh and what is called by one reviewer as a 'strange concoction on a bed of lettuce' was the tastiest home made coleslaw I have had in ages presented on an iceberg leaf. There was no problem with my friend asking to substitute the nachos and 'slaw for just a side salad which was nicely presented not just the token leaves some places serve if you don't want the menu 'standard'.
I would recommend the Swan and if the weather is warm would suggest a seat outside on the patio by the river to be idyllic.

Wendover, United Kingdom
“Differing reviews”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

As you would expect we all have different experiences, depends on many things of course.

I have eaten here twice, one Sunday lunch where the food was excellent and once when they opened for evening service at 5;30 (food not served until 6). The second time we ate outside as it was a lovely evening (Tuesday 7th May).

Had the vegetable quiche for starters which was very nice, the accompanying salad could have been better presented and possibly the offer of some dressing wouldn't have gone amiss. I had the lambs liver for main. It was well cooked, the bed of potato could have been a little more on the creamy side as described. Veggies were cooked well and still crunchy. My partner had the cajun chicken linguine. which was very tasty and quite spicy.

All in all two decent meals. A perfect setting in the sunshine. There was also a Swan (or two) and a River - so it did what it said on the tin... ;-)

2 Thank Cassler