“Re stay”
Review of The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Specialty Lodging in Ely
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at castle lodge last year and it was very clean ,but i I have stayed again last weekend a group of ten of us came down from Manchester for a stag night,we stayed in newly refurbished rooms with en suite they were immaculate brand new ,Tina the manageress was lovely considering we were a little rowdy,it's a million percent I would defiantly stay here again 10 outa 10, the new rooms with ensuite are boss
Great price to ,the new management have really made a difference the guest house is fab ,great price to highly recommended see u next time I'm visiting liverpool Alan

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Normally stay at the Lamb Hotel but it was booked out for bank holiday weekend. Tried the Lodge based on review by others. Lodge being progressively refurbished by enthusiastic young owners. Still a bit rough around the edges but getting there. I would have given it three stars except the my bed mattress was one of the most uncomfortable i have ever slept on, and I travel a lot, so it only got two stars. Hope the mattresses are next on their refurbishment program! Within walking distance to central Ely.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We wanted to see Ely and this hotel gave us the accommodation we needed for a reasonable price. It is a 3*** guest house in a convenient location. When we arrived we was greeted by someone who didn't look like she really wanted to be there. On the phone I was told the price was £80 for a double room with breakfast, on arrival it was £85! The room was nice and comfortable with plenty of tea and coffee. My only suggestion would be they really need towel rails in the bathroom. We had to out the hand towel on the sink and when we had a shower we had to balance the towel again on the sink. However all we wanted from this hotel was a base to sleep so for the price is great. The breakfast the next morning was lovely and plenty of it. The staff in the morning were very friendly. Overall I would recommend this guest house to anyone wanting to explore Ely which is only a five minute walk.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank busymum74
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I thought this place should have an 's' added to the sign - it seems more like a hostel than a hotel.
The owners are friendly and very informative about the area, the breakfast is fine, there is a licensed bar and it is close to the city centre. However, it feels very casually run and if you are squeamish about dust, tired decor or the odd hair in the shower it is not for you. The room I had shared a shower room and toilet with other rooms on the second floor (although I am not sure about rooms on the other floors). Luckily, I am used to less luxurious facilities as I stayed in quite a few holiday hostels when I was younger, but they will have to clean it up to get more stars. Actually, I think the place is in transition with newish owners so don't rule out as they may improve it as time goes by. It is also not too expensive for a single room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank BenjaminBear
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I had to come on and write a review as I completely disagree with the last reviewer. My recent stay was with the new owners and I found them nothing but firendly and polite.
My room was basic but clean and well equiped.

The location is great for a visit to Ely City centre as the Cathedral is only a few minutes away and the River not much further!

I found this hotel to be fairly priced, family friendly, with a homely atmosphere and the breakfast was wonderful, friendly waiting staff and more food than I could manage!

On speaking to the new owners they seem to have already done alot of renovation and intend to do more soon, I will be booking again and can't wait to see what other improvements they have made!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank R B
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Have been staying at the castle for a couple of month whilst contracting in the area. When i got here work had just begun on refurbishing this lovely, quite large building. The new owners who had only recently acquired the hotel are a lovely couple and also very helpful. They have a pride in their work and the hotel itself. the refurbished bar and entrance corridor/ reception have improved greatly. The bar has a nice friendly atmosphere. Also they have started doing some lovely meals which are usually homemade and also very accommodating as some nights we could not sit down to eat until after 10pm due to our own work commitment. But this was never a problem in fact it seemed to be a pleasure.

Many thanks.

Graham

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank graz126
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel has recently changed hands. The new owners are making improvements and have begun by decorating and re-furnishing the dining room and lounge bar area. I stayed two nights recently and they made me feel very welcome, going out of their way to make my stay comfortable. The full cooked breakfast was excellent quality and service exemplary. In time I think this will be a first class place to stay at a lower than average cost.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends