“Wonderful Location”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ely
Leicestershire
“Wonderful Location”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The location of this hotel could not be better, virtually next to the cathedral. The rooms are a little tired and not really as clean as they should be, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was disappointing, with Juices and pastries not replenished during the service and no coffee refill offered and the cooked food over done and rather tasteless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We're sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at breakfast. We will use your thoughts to look to improve in that area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Located in the heart of the City of Ely its position could not be better. Our room was spacious, quiet and had a very comfortable bed. Whilst generally clean, the mouldy shower curtain should have been replaced a while ago. Breakfast was a mediocre affair, nothing special here, juices were from concentrate and the advertised pastries were absent. Overall, nothing special, but would stay again if we needed the location.

• Stayed March 2013
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your stay. We're sorry that you didn't find it a completely satisfying experience.
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions across the last 3 years on business trips and on each occasion I have found the stay pleasant with the odd one or 2 down sides. As it says in the title I think the rooms could do with a little TLC, especially the bathrooms. Other than the rooms the service and restaurant/pub are of a very good quality, reasonably priced and the food is very good in terms of quality and quantity. Breakfast was a little dissapointing but adequte.

Also on a seperate note I have seen reviews stating the staff are rude, I have always been made to feel very welcome and found all staff to be helpful and polite.

I will be using the Lamb again for future trips.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks for your kind words regarding your recent stay and the welcome you received from the staff at The Lamb.
UK
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been using this hotel for several years now, preferring the price, character and location it offers over some alternatives in Cambridge. It is only a 3* but normally offers reasonable value for money - until this latest stay.

No major single issue, just lots of smaller ones, but all contributing to a less than satisfactory experience.

The food has never been more than average but I made the mistake this time of accepting the recommendation of the barman - 8oz rump steak with a free drink when I had originally asked for 6oz sirloin. Only half the joint was edible and the wine as bland as any I've tasted (maybe they can only shift it as a 'deal'). This after my 1st choice of starter was, for the 2nd consecutive time 'unavailable' even in the early evening. I then ordered fruit crumble but after waiting 15-20 mins reading the sole newspaper in the bar rack, decided they'd forgotten me so retired to my room. 15 mins later, and half an hour after ordering it the phone rang advising me it was ready. I declined.

Breakfast consisted of the driest, greyest rag masquerading as scrambled egg I have ever been presented with. BASIC! (No marmalade available as usual.)

The previous evening someone had trodden large, very unsightly clumps of mud up the stairs and by 11:00 the following morning no-one had thought to clear it up. Did no member of staff use the stairs for the intervening 16+ hrs?

At least the bed was comfortable & my room one of the better decorated ones, though the bathroom was small. The room looked reasonably clean but I'm glad I spotted the grime lurking in the bottom of my cup before I filled it with tea.

I think I shall give Cambridge another go...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We are sorry to have read your thoughts on your recent stay. The team will be disappointed and will react to your observations and thoughts
to improve things, and we'd hope you would notive this if you have the opportunity and wish to stay again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Ely hotels

cheshire
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were in Ely for a friend's 60th birthday. We booked 4 rooms at a very good rate for dinner bed and breakfast for a 2 night stay. Although it was bitterly cold outside the hotel was warm and staff very friendly. It is an old coaching Inn so is full of character. Rooms are en suite to a good standard.Food was good and real ales served. plenty to do in the town. Cathedral is stunning. There is an excellent cafe in the Cathedral grounds"the almonry". Wicked Fen About 20 mins South of Ely is well worth a visit

Room Tip: There are some rooms worth an upgrade eg four poster.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hermioneCheshire
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are really please that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. The team here will enjoy reading your thoughts and we hope you have the opportunity to visit Ely in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel decor is very sorry and in much need of an upgrade, staff are poorly trained and at times blatantly rude. Service was poor and bar poorly stocked - when they ran out of something during my stay it was not replaced.
Breakfast was just adequate but nothing special.
Availability of hot water depended on what time you were willing to get up to shower. Best before 6:30 am or after 8:30 am.
Overall, and I could offer lots more comments, it was a very disappointing stay for me. since I am a native although have lived away from Ely for many years.
I will not be returning to the Lamb - unless there are radical changes

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Notlob1
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lamb. We do believe that the views of our guests are more important than any other measure we could use to judge ourselves. Whilst not pleasant reading your review has been discussed at a recent team meeting and we're confident that some simple but critical lessons have been learnt and that we can improve what we do as a result.
Aveley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed for one night. Room was clean with more than enough milk/sugar/tea etc which is often lacking in 3 star hotels. The breakfast was passable & the staff were very pleasant. It's a 3 star hotel & my partner paid £60 so we wasn't expecting The Dorchester, however, we were pleasantly surprised. Only downside which is worth mentioning is that the pub opposite has a very late licence, therefore we were blown out of bed twice during the night by people standing outside shouting & bawling. I would stay here again if I was in the area, but wouldn't want room 18 or 19 because of this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We'd like to offer our thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lamb. It's from our guests thoughts that we learn the most about what we do and how we do it so it is invaluable. We hope to see you again in the future.