“A lovely B&B with a friendly welcome!”

Baileys at Springfields
and 1 more site!
Baileys at Springfields
Ranked #18 of 34 Ely B&B and Inns
London
“A lovely B&B with a friendly welcome!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I'd like to start by saying the review below is absolute nonsense - we appear to have stayed in the same room only a matter of days afterwards and our experience was completely different.

The accommodation is very clean and comfortable, Mrs Bailey (no relation) was friendly, welcoming and cooks an excellent breakfast.

The location is very convenient for a visit to Ely.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bails182

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I just stopped here for 2 nights. I really wish I hadn't.

Where to begin?

The decor was very very pink, my girlfreind called it "chintzy", to me it reminded me of staying at your nans house, if she last decorated in the 80's. Many of the fixtures and fittings have a wholly DIY feel to them in the way they are produced. A vast array of knick-nacks, bows, unnecessary soft furnishings, so many in fact that they are obviously a pain to clean or dust properly. There were old thank you cards on a shelf to the owners. This seemed to go beyond weird, and became just plain odd.

The corridor and room smelled damp when we first arrived, though the next day when more people arrived they used a little air freshener to mask the smell.

The heating in the room seemed to be turned off on the first night, though again this was turned on the next day when more people arrived.

There was no hot water to the sink in the ensuite to begin with, though again this seemed to be turned on when more people arrived the next day. We improvised and used the small kettle as a source of hot water for washing and so I could shave.

The bed was really hard and uncomfortable, and one of the main reasons I was glad to leave, I am now home writing this and currently feel exhausted after having stayed here, not the restful break away we were hoping for. Both of us also suspect the bed was narrower than a full double.

The breakfast we didn't try as it has to be ordered before half eight. When we go away, we want to relax, have a little lie in, but as will be seen later, this is against the rules. My girlfriend also didn't like that you are sat round a big table and forced to interact with strangers at an early hour.

Having the en suite double room that was next to the shared bathroom for the other rooms was not a fun experience. I was first woken at about 05:30, by people unlocking the mortise lock on the door to the bathroom (I think this door may be sticking from the sound of it), clomping round, the sound of the occupants then urinating, washing hands, the noisy plumbing and the extractor fan, were all amongst delights of having other people staying. This continued at irregular intervals of between 5-30 minutes through to after 9am.

The tv simply did not work for the duration of the stay.

Whilst there is an abundance of a wifi network, there is no broadband internet to back this up, it's slow and in this instance I'd highly recommend they turned this facility off or stopped offering it as a facility. It's simply too slow to be of any real use.

The tea and coffee 'facilities' consisted of tiny kettle, tea/coffee/sugar etc. The milk however had a small jug covered with a knitted lacework cover, which got taken and filled with milk. Call me old fashioned, but having essentially an open jug that can gather dust, of unrefrigerated milk left out is not the right way to store milk. Either offering a small refrigerator to store fresh milk, or offering uht milk pods/powdered milk is the only way ahead on this front.

Now to our bathroom, besides a lack of hot water, the floor is covered in the same pink carpet as the rest of the room. This is simply unhygienic. A vynal or tile floor would be more suitable. The top of the shower has a coving round it, I couldn't figure out if the dark stains/marks were either just dirt or mould that had been badly painted over. The real finishing touch of course was the used disposable razors in a small glass over the toilet.

There is also the issue of payment:- cash or cheque only, this is 2014 in a bit over 3 years cheques will be obsolete, this business needs a chip and pin machine as a high priority to come into line with modern practice. Also we noted, no receipt was offered for the cash payment I made, this seems a little irregular.

Finally there are the rules you must comply with, amongst which:
No shorts in the dining room
No food is allowed in your room (prepared or "take-away")
You have to be out of your room by 10am each day.
No washing or hanging if clothes in your room (I have yet to do my laundry in a b&b, I tend to take clothes that are clean with me)

I was hoping that at £85 per night, this would be a premium experience, sadly this was not the case. I feel realistically this place is over charging for a poor experience. Because of all of the above I hope I never have to stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EvilSpud
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Since the start of our stay we felt welcome and well cared for. At first sight the place is just so lovely, beautiful garden and the interiors show so much care for details, the room was decorated with taste and spotless, very comfortable and with everything one could possibly need.And with such a nice view of the lovely garden, with all the cute bunnies running around!
The lady who runs the place is friendly and oh so very helpful, it makes you really feel at home even if just for a couple of days.
The breakfast was impeccable, plenty of choice and perfectly cooked. If we ever go back to Ely we already know we'll be staying there for sure!
I just can't praise this place enough!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Isildur1984
Den Bosch, Nederland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I really loved this place.
Everything is done with so much attention and so much love!
It is so very English, so lovely.
The lady who runs the place is very, very friendly and helpful.
I really recommand this place!

Room Tip: Any room is good at Sprinfields.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monicaaa888
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My 88 year old Mum and I stayed for two nights this week; I don't think there could be a more thoughtful and helpful hostess than Dawn, who made our stay a real pleasure.

The rooms are very comfortable, incredibly clean and I cannot think of anything which could have been required and wasn't. Perfectly cooked breakfast, together with juice, fruit, cereal, yogurts. great poached eggs, got the method from Dawn, will be having a go at those tomorrow! Fresh milk in a pretty jug for our bedtime tea, with biscuits, a selection of perfumes in case we had forgotten our own, magazines, books, lots of very useful and high quality toiletries - a real home from home! would we stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: All three rooms have garden views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosemary B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and it was perfect for my requirements. I had a twin room which was spotlessly clean. My bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets and bedding were immaculate. The room also smelled lovely as there was a beautiful fresh rose in it. Tea and coffee along with sugar, sweeteners and biscuits were available and fresh milk was provided as soon as I arrived.
The bathroom is not ensuite but was only next door for my own use and I had my own access key for it. All toiletries were provided and again, the bathroom was spotlessly clean.
I had contacted the owners to inform them of my arrival time and this was no problem at all. Breakfast was at a large dining table so you do have to speak to others, but as I was travelling alone, this was nice as I was introduced to the other guests and we were then able to chat during breakfast.
It's right on the road but the rooms are very quiet with lovely views of the garden and I enjoyed watching the birds in the morning, using the guidebook provided. Wifi is available and there was even a taxi number in the room so everything was provided.
The rooms have a separate entrance with your own key which is nice as you can come back late and not feel like you are disturbing anyone. Make sure you take the torch (also provided) as it's very dark along the driveway from the road!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ScottishTeacher
Moorestown, NJ
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at Sprinfields for two nights last month when we first arrived in Great Britain. The Baileys were very considerate and helpful hosts, telling us the exact position on the outskirts of Ely to get the best photograph of the Cathedral; downloading a 'tour' of local Dorothy L Sayers sites (a great British detective novelist and theologian); and making me a lemon-and-honey 'hot drink' for my laryngitis (very soothing and effective!). Our room was bright, carefully furnished, and the beds were comfortable--firm enough for senior backs. We chose a room with a private bath across the hall; the bath was large and very well appointed. We had delicious breakfasts, visiting with other guests, and never felt rushed in any way. We would love to return to Ely, and will definitely stay again at Springfields. Many thanks!

Room Tip: We saw only our room, which had a private bath across the hall. We liked it very much. The setting...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple