“Good food and nice service”
Review of India House

India House
Ranked #222 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Berlin, Germany
“Good food and nice service”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I visited this restaurant with big group of friends (12 people) which was good because I could try many different things.

Service:
Waiters are very friendly, wellcomming, patient to answer all our questions and gave us some great recommendations depends on our wishes. Despite the place was really busy and we were many people we didn't wait for too long, just max 15 min while eating some indian crispy bread (well its similar to bread;) with different sauces.

Food:
everything I tried (4 different mains) was very good. Different types of meat, menu is various, great mango lassi.

Prices:
Totally fine. Mains are around 6-7GBP or you can order set menu (some apperatif, main and soft drink or beer) for 11GBP. Don't forget to add 10% to the price, it comes on the bill.

Atmosphere:
Quite nice music and decoration, but it didn't feel really cosy. I would say rather just a place to eat and not for some special occasions)

Recommended for big groups as they have comfortable tables to sit together and you don't have to wait for too long (at least we didn't:)

• Visited November 2012

cambridgeshire
“Good service but mouldy Paratha bread!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

2nd time visiting here. First time we were impressed with the service so came back.
Food was generally nice enough, and service again was really good.
However, on closer inspection of the Paratha bread I had half eaten I noticed it had mould growing on it!!
I told the manager and they took it off the bill. If it was my restaurant I'd have not charged for whole meal.
Completely put off going back to India house and as there are so many other Indian places in cambridge there is no need to.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bloody good! I tell you”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went to this place after my car broke down after my graduation in Cambridge. The owner was was very helpful. He came and assisted us and we were invited to come and dine in this delightfully decorated establishment. Our orders were taken quickly by the wonderful staff and the food was bloody good I tell you! Good price and excellent value for money. The lamb was delicious...melt in the mouth. The Gulab Jaman was particularly good. Will go again for sure. Cambridge's best kept little Indian secret.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank TerryMardy
IndiaHouseCambridge, Manager at India House, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hi, thank you for your valuable feedback. we appreciate your honest comments. I hope that your car is in good order and we hope to see you in Cambridge again soon some time.
Many thanks
Cambridge, UK
“Good Food In A Friendly Atmosphere”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went here as a family on 21 September to celebrate my husband's birthday. Had a good table overlooking the mill pond. There is ample free parking nearby in the evening. Staff were welcoming, friendly and attentive. We enjoyed our meal and were particularly impressed with the starters. The main courses were good as well. The meal was reasonably priced and there was a varied menu. We have eaten here before and will do so again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank BetsyJK
Cambridge
“Rude to students”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We arrived as a group of students and were greeted by initially very friendly staff and immediately shown to a table in an extremely nice and classy modern setting. 10 minutes after sitting down the waiter came to ask what we wanted to drink and when we requested tab water, the waiter smirked while writing this down.

Ten minutes later another waiter came to us to tell us that there would be a 45 minute wait for the food - this was before we had even ordered. He asked us again what we wanted for drinks. We asked for tab water again. Twenty minutes later our tab water still hadn't arrived, and we had now been waiting for forty minutes, so one of us stopped a waiter on his way to another table and asked again.

Meanwhile, we had noticed 2 other groups coming in after we had been there for about 40 minutes - a group of two middle-aged couples as well as a small family of 3. By the time we finally got our tab water, they had already started their meals and had been served drinks almost upon sitting down. We would only receive our food after about an hour and a half of sitting down. It was clear that we had been ranked of the "lowest category" because they knew we would probably spend less. As cherry on top of the cake they then also brought the wrong dish for one of us, but not wanting to make a fuss we let it be: it looked incredibly tasty anyway.

Their food itself was really quite delicious - though the portions are extremely small. The spiciness of their curry was just right. Food-wise India House really is good quality. Price/Quality wise it appears very advantageous, though I think most of their profit is made from the £3.88 rice that is necessary with any dish (between £8.50 - 9.50) you order. However this is customary to many restaurants and overall it is still really a remarkably good deal.

And no, as written in a review below by someone who claims 'to know the owner' - and whose only two reviews are of this restaurant, including a promotional picture of their special offer punt meals - we are not being stingy - most students are in debt and living on a rather small allowance: going out to a restaurant is a special occasion for many of us. Therefore it is really disappointing being treated like third-rate citizens simply because we didn't order the £20 bottle of wine. The four of us still spent more than £60, which is still quite reasonable.

Either way service should be exactly that: service. And it would be good to know that one receives good service regardless of how much one thinks one can profit from you. I do not go to a restaurant to be looked down upon but rather to relax and have a good time.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Hugh R
IndiaHouseCambridge, Manager at India House, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am truly sorry you felt my front of house team made you feel like this. Our policy is to provide equally high quality prompt, attentive friendly service to All of of our customers be it student or celebrity. I am going to be honest that I did receive a similar comment in regards to one of my staff who was then dismissed immediately as this will not and should not be tolerated. I am pleased to hear though you enjoyed our food and I hope that you could try us again sometime and give me personal feedback on the evening.
Many thanks