“Not quite gastro-pub, more Bohemian rhapsody”
Review of The Punter

The Punter
Ranked #147 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Not quite gastro-pub, more Bohemian rhapsody”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Restaurants that handle problems well always make an impression and the Punter did. We were a group of nine and the food was generally pretty good, my whitebait were exceptional, and the service was prompt and friendly. Trouble was two of the main courses were almost inedible but a quiet word and they were immediately replaced. Full marks. It was lunchtime so we weren't into drinking much but there is a decent wine list and a choice of wines by the glass. I've been before and I like this place.

Visited January 2014

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellence blighted by occasional minor disasters : -”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

" Punters " has long been my first-choice for eating out in my home town - the " House Bitter " is very good , and food , with very rare exceptions , even better .
However it has to be said that things do occasionally go wrong - I recall a bottle of Pic Poulet which arrived at blood-temperature , and a potato which had apparently escaped the attention of the cook . That said , the wine ( even though opened ) was replaced without demur with a bottle appropriately chilled , as no doubt would have been the potato had I asked for this to happen .
In my experience the service has always been cheerful and helpful .

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Dear Mr 'Oi' Man”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Sunday 29th Dec 2pm
Having spent a wonderful day on the punts in Cambridge with my family who were visiting from Birmingham. I recommended taking them to the Punter having enjoyed the setting and atmosphere previously. We had a wonderful service at first. As we were leaving I noted that there were charity sweets with a £1 donation. As my young nieces were with me I thought I would buy them a little treat for the walk back to the Grandparents.
I put my £1 in the box and then selected a bag of sweets. (by the way there was nobody covering the bar or serving at the time)
Next thing I know I hear a rude 'Oi' coming from the kitchen and maybe some more words though I couldn't tell as at the same time I had a waitress running up to me, who asked rather forcefully whether I had paid for the sweets. Though give her her due she was far more discreet than Mr 'Oi' Man.
What a pleasant manner of service! I was so disgusted by Mr 'Oi' man's tone and the general dealing by the young service individuals on a delicate subject such as this, that I tossed the sweets back to the counter and left.
It really left a bad impression as they had obviously jumped to their own assumptions. Such a pity for a nice pub.
Mr 'Oi' Man you really let the team down and the charity I had donated to. Well done for your lack of judgement.

“Best food in Cambridge”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have been living in Cambridge for almost two years now, and the punter is by far the best restaurant in Cambridge by all means. The staff is friendly and the food amazing! I have eaten there more than 10 times and have never been disappointed. This is the best place to eat in Cambridge

“Festive meal - not!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A group of almost 30 people attended a Christmas lunch (all meals were pre booked) - the food was cold, over salted , meals were sent back, vegetables promised did not materialise until the 3rd time of insisting, no Christmas crackers or cheer and all for £30 per head!! This is the worst Christmas meal I have ever had, poor service and overpriced. The organiser accepted a refund of just £50 but this equated to less than £2 per head. If on my own, I would have refused to pay. I am attending a dinner dance that includes a glass of fizz on arrival, 3 courses, mince pies/chocolates and coffee, a festively decorated room/crackers/party poppers and dancing until midnight at a fabulous venue for the same price. Please do not go here!