“dreadful service”

Ranked #294 of 691 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: An thrice award winning restaurant offering the cuisine of the State of Kerala in South India. Indian food that is very different to that available in the normal High Street Indian Restaurants in the UK. Fresh fish, prawns, vegetables and meat cooked with a deft touch with spices. Not all of our dishes are hot, we offer vegan, vegetarian dishes and gluten -free breads. Air-conditioned, with disabled access and disabled toilet. Group menus arranged on request.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“dreadful service”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We waited over an hour to be served even though we had asked when we came in as we had 2 small children. The staff were totally unhelpful. The food was tasty, but our lamb dish had 2 tiny pieces in it-very poor value for money. I will not be returning. They are obviously not learning from their customer comments.

• Visited April 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High on taste low on quantity”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but last nights meal leaves me compelled to. We went for the meal deal 2 courses for £14. This turns out to be anything from the menu but at the chefs discretion how much be will provide you with. I remember from a previous visit that the mains are small but the £14 two course special is ridiculously small. They came in separate bowl/cups that was befitting of a side order.

Left hungry and disappointed. PS I'm not a fat bstd.

• Visited April 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My Indian friends like this restaurant, and the food is good but unfortunately the service is terrible. We had to wait nearly an hour just to get our starters, and the delay went on from there. I would not go there unless you have an evening to fill.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank pncambridge
Wroclaw, Poland
“Good but somehow missing something”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The food is nice and with a not so usual menu from south west India. Some of tbe dishes are really nice, make sure to try the vada as starters. On the down side the atmosphere is really not so great, maybe is for the lack of decorations or for tbe lights too white to make you feel warm and cosy. The service is also very polite and timely but somehow frigid. The value is OK, but for the same price I would probally choose another indian place... I will return here any.tme I will feel like an alternative indian but I won't make it my "usual" one

Cambridge
“Food was OK, but it's not great value”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've been to Rice Boat several times now and it's simply failed to win me over. People insist that it's fantastic, but I've been unimpressed.

The service is OK, the food is good, but the value is bad and there are much better options in Cambridge. If you want as good Kerala food for cheaper, it can be found elsewhere.

A friend went there for a large birthday gathering and they gave a set menu of 20 GBP - the food would have cost less to be ordered separately and because some members of the party were not taking part in the set menu (dietary reasons), they were asked to move to a corner of the table (i.e.: apart from partners, etc). The restaurant also required that anyone who did not show up be charged anyway - though this did not happen to us, it still felt unnecessary.

I'd understand if this restaurant was above and beyond others, but the attitude and complexity of such actions is not warranted for a decent restaurant. Be happy that people are coming to give you business.

• Visited February 2013