“I Can See the Attraction”
Review of Backstreet Bistro - CLOSED

Backstreet Bistro
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Some Cambridge friends, who we had offered to take out to dinner, chose this, so we arrived with no preconceptions. It is in a VERY "backstreet" position, with parking several hundred yards distant. The restaurant used to be a shop knocked together with a terrace house, opposite what used (years ago) to be a builders yard. Springy wooden floors shook the place a little as people walked about, especially when a very large gentleman dining nearby walked by the table.
The menu (bound in wooden boards) was fairly full, with the average starter being about £8.00 and the average main course about £15.00. There was a good choice of things and veggies were fairly well served by it. We found the food good, on the whole, prices typical for Cambridge, but a trifle expensive for the rest of the country (outside London). My only real reservation had to to with the wine: I ordered a glass of Malbec (driving, I didn't want to have any more than one glass). I suspect that the bottle had been open for some time, as I would expect an £8.45 glass of wine to have more aroma and savour than that glass had.
Desserts were appreciated and were c. £6.00 per person.
There was no opportunity given to add a tip to the bill in paying by card: it had to be what cash we could scrape together at the table.
It was pleasant enough, but I am not sure whether I shall ever be back; though the friends who suggested it tried to press an advertising card for the restaurant on me, I left it on the plate.
Service was decent and the place had a good atmosphere.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place looks absolutely lovely both in the inside and out but it really lets itself down.

The menu on offer does not really stand out from other places in Cambridge and the food is not great. The boys in our group were burger lovers and they were underwhelmed by their meal - poor quality meat, no flavour. I personally had a Schnitzel - the veal was tough (I mean, how do you get tough veal?!) in places and over-seasoned - I suspect trying to cover up the cheap quality. Baby potatoes were crushed, over-boiled and heavily seasoned with large quantities of herb butter - defeated the whole point of going for baby potatoes. The afters were very bland and not worth the calories.

The ladies' restroom is well stocked with all kinds of wipes and serviettes as well as hair spray and body spray but the back of the kitchen does open out directly onto the door going straight into the toilets - YUK!

The whole meal was saved by the friendly staff and their great service - they did try to make it lovely for us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We finally paid a visit to the Backstreet Bistro and went strategic. We've never had room for a desert before because of the generous portions and this time we were determined. So, 1 x shared mese and a starter and we were set for cheesecake. Missing out on a main was a real hardship, but then again missing out on the cheesecake would have been a real shame too.

The upshot is that the quality and size of the portions are up to the usual high standard as was the service. The Backstreet Bistro isn't the cheapest venue, but you can taste the quality of the ingredients and the portions are very generous. It's just somewhere we go for a real treat - it's not a 'too tired to cook after a long week on a Friday' venue.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We've been meaning to visit this restaurant for a long time so decided to try it on our wedding anniversary and we weren't disappointed.
It was a Saturday evening, quiet when we arrived but very busy later on.
Food quality (and quantity!) was excellent and service also was good.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to the Backstreet Bistro with my boyfriend and my parents for dinner on a Sunday evening. I thought the menu was a tad expensive, but I guess about normal in Cambridge. Between us we ordered the duck, beef bourguignon, vegetarian eggplant and lamb burger - and I have to say all us of thoroughly enjoyed our meals. My mom, the vegetarian, is normally quite fussy, and she said her food was amazing! I also have to mention the service was really good. The waitress was very attentive and we asked for some more clotted cream with our desert we got a huge bowl full (without being charged extra for it)! All in all I would def come back.