“Lovely evening”
Review of Backstreet Bistro - CLOSED

Backstreet Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Lovely evening”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We've been meaning to visit this restaurant for a long time so decided to try it on our wedding anniversary and we weren't disappointed.
It was a Saturday evening, quiet when we arrived but very busy later on.
Food quality (and quantity!) was excellent and service also was good.

• Visited April 2013

“Great food and service”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to the Backstreet Bistro with my boyfriend and my parents for dinner on a Sunday evening. I thought the menu was a tad expensive, but I guess about normal in Cambridge. Between us we ordered the duck, beef bourguignon, vegetarian eggplant and lamb burger - and I have to say all us of thoroughly enjoyed our meals. My mom, the vegetarian, is normally quite fussy, and she said her food was amazing! I also have to mention the service was really good. The waitress was very attentive and we asked for some more clotted cream with our desert we got a huge bowl full (without being charged extra for it)! All in all I would def come back.

• Visited April 2013
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We really liked this restaurant as it was good, reasonably priced and in our neighbourhood. Unfortunately, they seem to have fallen on hard times as the prices have gone up and the quality of the food has gone down.

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great food but service needs some work”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime with a table booked for 12pm. We had intended to go for Sunday lunch to celebrate a birthday. When we arrived just after 12 we were told that we couldn't order from the lunch menu as the brunch menu was the only one offered until 12.30pm. Firstly, this wasn't mentioned when making the reservation (had we known this we would have booked for 12.30pm). I was expecting them to at least say to us to look at the lunch menu and order drinks and then by the time we ordered we could have lunch, they just seemed to expect us to order breakfast even though we just said that we had all had breakfast already and wanted lunch! So we ordered some drinks and waited what was just an extra 10 minutes by now to order from the lunch menu. It should be noted (as it doesn't say on the website) that there is no children's menu. 2 of us ordered duck and were then told "we don't have any duck left, were you not told that before?" I question the logic of asking this since why would we order it if someone had already told us before! When we ordered drinks they seemed to take some people's orders and then went to get them and then asked other people rather than taking everyone's drink order and then getting them altogether. I ordered a glass of white wine which was the only drink order she took at this one particular time and she came back with red. We had tea's and coffee's when we first arrived and these were left on the table rather than being collected until the waitress literally couldn't fit anything else on! When I had to ask for some amendments for the child in our party I felt like it was an inconvenience for them, the portions were far too big for a child and I was disappointed they made no attempt to try and accommodate the child eating with us. My dessert (a potted cheese and chutney) came well after everyone else so they had pretty much finished by the time mine came. The food itself was very tasty (with the one exception of the the Beef Bourguignon which was very chewy and not tender at all) but they need to get some service training for the staff, perhaps someone more experienced to supervise? In addition to this one of the waitresses was wearing some very tight, see through leggings with a short top, the sight of her bending over the table opposite us was not very appealing while eating and struck me as not very professional, if it was my restaurant I might want the staff wearing something a little more appropriate. The chef here is clearly talented but they need to work on front of house to bring the whole experience together. You should also note there is very little parking nearby, as it is a residential area.

• Visited March 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
“Great brunch, but better book in advance”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I went there with 2 friends for a Sunday brunch. We didn't book but we have been equally offered a table under the condition to leave in 1hr, which is more than fair. In one hr we have been very kindly asked to leave even if many tables were still empty: but I am sure they had very good reasons!
The food is nice, My croquette really good, w! The selection of teas instead is below the expectations, maybe better to ask for a coffee.
The place is very nicely decorated, don't forget to check the ceiling!
The area is very quite and residential, it doesn't feel like being so close to Mill rd! On the other hand it is very hidden, quite difficult to find, but parking has not been difficult. I will surely try it at dinner as well, but this time I will book in advance.