“Great little boozer”

Ranked #108 of 711 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A genuinely lovely old city centre pub with a good selection of real ales. Also does large portions of food which is pretty good value if a bit basic. Well worth a pint or two.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is just a fab little pub to pop into when you don't feel like cooking. So long as you can get a table then you are well away.
The food is prepared using simple ingredients, and always cooked and presented beautifully. Chili-con-carne, fish pie and steak and mushroom pie are among my favourite meals I have had here.
The pub also stocks a great whiskey menu as well as real ales

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Good beer, well priced and tasted fab. Food was nice without being stunning, though as we arrived near closing time for kitchen, the menu was limited. A good base for a session.

1  Thank David J
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Good beers, cosy, friendly service. Good beers, cosy, friendly service. Good beers, cosy, friendly service.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I used to love this pub. When I first started going here about 5 years ago the food was excellent and good value. How times have changed! Clearly they no longer have the same chef as the food I was served recently was simply inedible. I ordered the "chunky beef chilli" which I realised was a mistake as soon as it arrived. It looked gristly and watery - confirmed with the first mouthful. I tried 2 further mouthfuls before sending it back. I then had to choose something else. My choice was "no longer available" despite being on the chalkboard of specials and this only 20 minutes after the service had begun. I then chose a "rump steak with whisky sauce". I asked for it medium. this arrived after about 20 minutes. (Just how long does it take to take to cook a steak medium?!) It was very rare and drizzled with a thin gravy without the slightest taste of whisky or much else. At this point I was losing patience and decided to leave. I should say that we did enjoy 3 different very good ales but I shall not be returning to the Free Press again for food anytime soon.....

3  Thank celticsoul7