“reat place for a family get=together”
Review of The Willow Tree

The Willow Tree
Ranked #106 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Bedford, United Kingdom
“reat place for a family get=together”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

There were 6 of us on a Sunday evening family meal,. We all had great time and the food was consistently good. We were in no hurry, and wanted a lazy relaxed eveming. I think that anyone in a rush would have beena bit exasprated. We found the size portions good and were suprised at the complaints by kateb. The waiting was rather slow,, but if you attracted the serving staff ,they canme promptly. I was a pleasantly suprised at the total cost ,and felt by cambridge prices it was good value

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Incredible atmosphere and good food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for a pub or restaurant outside of Cambridge with a nice garden to enjoy the weather and we ended in this lovely restaurant where I was totally pleased of the experience!
The atmosphere really cosy and romantic, the personal service really nice and good food!
The starters are quite normal, nothing spectacular, but the main course and the desserts are incredible! Really really good!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“You can't always get what you want”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I recently went to see the Rolling Stones and the title of their encore neatly summarises our experience at the Willow Tree on Friday 2 August. Having enjoyed excellent meals on two occasions in the recent past, I recommended the restaurant to three friends with whom I was meeting up for an evening meal. We arrived 30 minutes early for our table which had been booked for 8.30pm. We were given menus at 8.30 but it was only at 9.00 that someone came to take our order, after prompting. During the half-hour wait one of the three mains on the specials board was removed. Just as the manager was putting pen to paper to take our order, a waitress removed the remaining two specials. So - no specials available and as a result two of our party had to change their order. We ordered four fish & chips from the main menu. Five minutes later the manager returned to tell us there were only three portions left, so one of our party chose a steak instead. A further ten minutes later, a waitress was sent to tell us that there was actually only one portion of fish & chips! The setting is nice, the food is good but on this occasion the experience was marred by poor management - not dealing with tables when booked, not ordering in sufficient food and poor communication between the kitchen and the waiting staff. We were offered a complimentary bottle of wine, and bread and olives, but we still were unable to have either our first, or indeed second, choices of food. It seem quite appropriate that our bill was accompanied by humbugs.

2 Thank David A
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very good food but the portion sizes are now tiny!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went for a sunday lunch recently and ordered the burger. I have been to the willow tree and ordered the burger before and it was about twice the size previously. My parents had the roasts and they also commented on the portion size. The food is all very good just getting smaller and smaller....
I am female so the reduced size burger was about right for me but if i had been with my brother and he'd paid £10 for that small burger and 9 chips i think he would have been slightly miffed.
The food is consistently good and I have been a number of times before but I was shocked at the portion size now.
I do think the Willow Tree is still trying to be the Eltisley which is excellent but it does not quite have the smart decor (Willow Tree is now due a good clean and lick of paint) or super sharp staff.
The staff are friendly when they finally speak to you but all seem to be stood behind the bar doing nothing and when you arrive/ go to pay no one acknowledges you which I find a bit rude.
All in all great food but expensive for the portion sizes and let down by the decor/ staff.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank kateb7201
Cambourne, United Kingdom
“Not your average pub lunch”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Our party of 8 (and baby) lunched here to celebrate my wife's birthday. Arrived on time for our booking but our table not ready despite restaurant not being that busy. Staff rallied round, drinks were served and we were soon seated.

After this initial 'blip' all went very well. Service leisurely but friendly and the food fantastic. I enjoyed every mouthful and everyone else also had only good things to say.

Will certainly go back ... once I:be saved up a bit.

• Visited July 2013