“Warm welcome and delicious food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sala Thong Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 677 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

When I was a postgraduate student at Cambridge this was a favourite restaurant and one of Professor Stephen Hawking's haunts. The early evening deal of main course, side dish and pudding is a great deal at £9.90, the tapioca is especially good, but try anything, it's all delicious. Good choice also for vegans and vegetarians, and friendly efficient service. They also do punt picnics from the nearby Granta pub.

1 Thank jejr100
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to give our restaurant a lovely review. You have been coming to our restaurant for many years now it seems . We look forward to seeing you in the future .

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've recently organised a hen weekend for my friend in Cambridge, and as she is such a Thai food lover it was a no brainier to book a Thai restaurant. This restaurant had been recommended to me by a friend who works in the area, so I thought I'd give it ago. When I called to book a table a really friendly lady answered and as I told her the occasion she recommended we also book a punt,which they are happy to organise for you. Thinking we eat then have a trip on the punt I was very excited, but she then told me they can organise for the food to be put onto the punt as we are(punted) around. So now I'm even more excited!!! They were so helpful with the organisation of this for me, I was really grateful. As far as I'm aware there are
set menus to chose from for this experience, which we done. We arrived on the day not knowing what to expect and was lead just a few meters away to our awaiting punt, it was already set out beautifully with cutlery,ice buckets glasses etc THEN THE FOOD ARRIVED!!! OMG!!!! So much and what a selection the food was by far the best Thai I had ever eaten, and my 10 other hens agreed. We literally couldn't eat it quick enough, and to say we made everyone else punting that day jealous with our banquet (they had dried up sandwiches and warm cava) was an understatement. Really amazing food and such a lovely experience. I've since been back with my children just to eat the food and again everyone agreed it was delicious.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi, thanks for the lovely review we are glad your Hen party had a lovely experience . And that you have returned since your punt trip.we look forward to seeing you again if you are in Cambridge.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food - Authentic, Thai food at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but such was the quality of the food I wanted to make a point on this place. I took my partner to Cambridge for the weekend and we stumbled across this restaurant at the end of the river after taking a nice walk, being lovers of Thai food we decided to try it out. It was quite a busy afternoon but we managed to get seated promptly. The restaurant is cute over two floors and is staffed by local Thai staff which gives it a nice original feel. I've been to Thailand and many Thai restaurant but the food here is with out a doubt some of the best I've tasted in the UK. A good selection of original dishes and authentic ingredients. The food came out in good time, was freshly cooked and the staff were attentive even though the restaurant looked full. It wasn't over priced as many restaurant these days tend to take advantage of the average customer.

I will surly re-visit this restaurant if we come back to Cambridge and I would happily recommend you gave it a try if you like Thai food. :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi , thanks for the glowing review. Hope to see you visit sala thong in the newr future
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Delicious food Average ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The food is almost always delicious. Sometimes the wait can be quite long, especially if you are seated upstairs, but most often the food is worth the wait. The ambiance leaves some to be desired, but again, the food makes up for it. Gets quite busy on weekend evenings, so book in advance.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Aranya S, Owner at Sala Thong Restaurant, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hi , thanks for taking the time to write a review for our restaurant we really appreciate it.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fresh meat , tasty sauce”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

It wasn't a busy afternoon, so reading others review on the service it could be true. There was only one waitress serving the whole restaurant that afternoon but slowly customers are coming and it did get busier. However , I can 't fault the food. The meat were fresh, tasty sauce and vegetables was cooked perfectly tasty. I would recommend the beef curry, peanut chicken and choi sum garlic . Would go there again if I'm visiting Cambridge :)

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi, we are glad you enjoyed our food and would revisit the next time your in Cambridge.