“Absolutely fantastic”

Ranked #3 of 701 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

From making the booking enquiry I was excited- the lady was helpful & efficient
On arrival the magical journey began; I had wanted to visit for some time, so my expectations were high- and I was not disappointed
Great food, great service and a fantastic experience all round
The 7 course taster menu was sublime- plus all the extras, a great chance to try some exquisite food

1 Thank RedCatSarah

• Korean first
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited to celebrate Mrs T's 50th Birthday. Outstanding service, food, wine matching and experience....we were even offered a tour of the kitchen in mid service (without us asking) and met the main man himself....truly memorable. I'm so glad this place is only an hour away....we will return!

• Visited January 2014
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We have yet again been blown away by this amazing restaurant. The food is brilliant, the service attentive but not overly do and the wine scrumptious. Thank goodness we have somewhere excellent to go.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Falling short...”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went for the ten course menu with the recommended flight of wine. It was all quite interesting with some of the courses being more challenging than others. The scallop and beef courses were particularly memorable although unfortunately too many of the courses just didn’t work, in my humble opinion. It’s not that I fault the chef for being creative, but the hot mushroom, coffee and chocolate dish really turned my stomach and whilst some of the wines were matched beautifully with the food course, unfortunately just too many of the wines missed the spot.
The service was good, and the waiting staff provided detailed explanations of how the food was prepared, as well as describing where each of the wines came from. We didn't feel rushed at all at the table and we headed upstairs to the little bar area afterwards which was all very pleasant - although £10 for a short glass of brandy and coke is difficult to justify.
Only one gents toilet (and one ladies I believe) upstairs. Found myself queuing for the gents toilets which is rather novel – which was finally vacated by two giggly females!? I believe that this restaurant is one of only twenty in the UK to hold 2Michelin stars, and because of this perhaps my expectations were too high as I felt that both the food and wine fell somewhat short. I have eaten at single star restaurants which I believe to be far superior. The venue itself is lovely however, providing a perfectly pleasant space to eat in.

3 Thank Mike4ope
London
“All mouth, no trousers”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

The food was adequate and well presented, but less than a week later I can't recall a single dish - it was neither distinctive nor memorable. We are happy to pay these prices for great food, but here the service and each dish colluded to create an overall impression of pretence coupled with a lack of passion. We are still looking for a decent restaurant in Cambridge.

Visited February 2014