“Good but not all good.”
Review of Midsummer House

Midsummer House
Ranked #4 of 705 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were looking forward to a great experience, we took the park and ride and arrived early. Very good service, friendly and helpfully staff who made us feel relaxed . We started with a glass of wine and the hors d'oeuvres were really good as we're the first and second courses. We had picked the £60 menu so didn't get a choice of main course and it was liver. Unfortunately this was full of sinew and was impossible to cut with a knife. I guess we were reluctant to complain because we were in such a well renouned place but it wasn't even up to transport cafe standard. The dessert was superb, and the wine very good despite being the cheapest bottle at £45. We had a bit of a shock when we got the bill to find we had paid £12 for a small glass of wine but hey ho that's life.
A great experience but we will wait for two months to get in La Gavroche next time.

There are newer reviews for Midsummer House

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We visited (2nd time) on a cold winters evening and it's a bit a trek from anywhere you can park. But it's Cambridge so you expect that! You couldn't fault the welcome and the way we were politely seated with minimul fuss. That sums the service up for me, it is very efficient and courteous without being in your face. They will chat if you want to or vice versa. My mum (her 60th) was 'enjoying' the flight of wines and managed to spill/smash a glass. 3 staff came out of knowhere, cleaned up, poured a fresh glass, smiled and retreated in literally 10 seconds - BOSH, that's what I call service!

The food is great, I won't go on, go and try it. All had the tasting menu, scallops, sweetbread and brill were fantastic in particular, couple of bits that weren't my thing (goats cheese with horseradish). Flight of wines was good and they took the time to talk about them further if you wanted to. I feel the flight offers better value as the wine list is extensive but extortionate. Other contributors seem to agree.

Really feel that they need to do a bit more with the interior. The conservatory just doesn't quite cut it. I am sure in the summer it is different but they need to address the slightly surgical feeling going on. We also had that cringe moment when what must of been D.C's or the owners mates turn up and they got the tour round the kitchen etc. in full view of the diners. Turned the whole experience a bit celebrity.

I agree you get what you pay for when it comes to food. Must be me but nothing jumped out at me that put it above a single star restaurant. If I could rate it 3.5 stars over 3 I would as the service is excellent.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've read a number of reviews for Midsummer House, and it certainly divides opinion. My wife and I are firmly in the "rave review" camp, having had a lovely 10 course taster menu to celebrate her 30th birthday.

The menu, dubbed "Tase of Midsummer", comprised very interesting and delicious starters, mains and desserts. The scallop was sweet and well-cooked; the Iberico pork shoulder with apple was absolutely exquisite. I particularly enjoyed these dishes, but the whole ensemble was a real treat.

I would certainly recommend it for special occasions - the prices do not encourage regular visits unless you happen to be Richard Branson. Our table gave us a clear view of the kitchen, although I'm not sure one of the chefs having a blue plaster administered to a cut finger should have had it done in full view of the customers!

The staff were attentive, chatty and friendly. They were open to answer any questions about the food and generally treated us very well. All in all a very pleasant experience.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Six of us headed here for lunch following a friends recommendation and I was blown away by the lunch we had here! We selected the four course lunch menu and were indulged in almost eight courses with all the little extras we were spoiled with. Each course was spectacular, and I can only describe the pork belly raviloi as a taste of heaven and the pistachio souffle is to die for.

The staff were polite and attentive throughout our four hours lunching here, and it was one of the most enjoyable dinning experiences I have ever had.

I will be back and bringing everyone I know with me : )

1  Thank DonnaArmstrong
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Let's be clear, it is not cheap, but then it is a michelin starred restaurant so why would it be. The setting is lovely, being on the river and next to the green. The welcome is warm and friendly, with excellent service throughout. The good was varied and each dish on the tasting menu was lovely. The wines are pricey, only a couple of bottles under £40 and the water is £5 but like I said it is to be expected.

TIP = There is a large window with viewing into the kitchen but it is very, very bright and distracting. Ask to avoid this area is you are wanting a more intimate experience.

1  Thank 00_traveller_00