“Go!”

Ranked #4 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
London, United Kingdom
“Go!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Put simply, "Go". Aside from the unique location, which sets this restaurant apart from many other city-based Michelin *rd enterprises, the food is a joy to behold. There is no 'parading peacock' attitude from the chef(s), staff or the food and that puts the diner instantly at ease. The menu is tasty yet technical, but don't be put off by the technical aspect because that is where the skill lies, that is the experience. Given the quality of food and the excellent service I thought it very reasonably priced. Go and enjoy it!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank H P

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A real experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are many amazing restaurants in the world - but many, as you can tell from their over opulent décors and snotty staff, overpoweringly know it! Midsummer House is totally different - you feel like your walking into a family home with the warmest of welcomes. The restaurant has all the little touches in toe, from the turning of the spoon on your dish, the always amazing wine pairing and the incredible view into the real life kitchen. But beyond all this beauty lies taste: Pineapple sorbet filtered for pureness and a wood smoked celeriac hand carved at the table........ the place leaves me even more sure that eating is the best thing to do in the world.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Allaboutlunch
“Our best ever dining experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having eaten at a couple of 1 star restaurants, we were looking forward to eating at 2 star midsummer house.

We were definitely not disappointed. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and the dining room had a fantastic atmosphere. We started off with a gin and tonic upstairs in the bar before we went to the table and we had a glass of wine whilst eating. The sommelier was friendly, very knowledgable and helped to recommend a wine to go with the food, as well as a desert wine towards the end of the evening.

I cannot express how good the food was. My partner and myself both agreed that the venison course was definitely the best course we had eaten in any restaurant. We also particularly enjoyed the scallops with Granny Smith apple.

The staff were very kind and they went out of their way to make sure that we had an amazing time. We were even offered a tour of the kitchen before our final course. It was really great to see where and how all this amazing food was made and it was a nice touch.

Midsummer house definitely lived up to the '2-star expectation' and more. Thanks again to everyone for a fantastic evening.

(Our booking was on 2nd November 2012)

1 Thank Bhughes13
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Best meal we have ever had!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Booked for my boyfriends birthday at the end of October. We opted for the 1st sitting and were the 2nd table in.
The staff were friendly, and knowledgeable and as the evening went on it filled up nicely with a good atmosphere.
We like our food and every course made the other half smile which was my intention. We had the market menu and flight of wines, and we're really impressed. I'm not a fish lover yet the Skate was my favourite course, followed by the desserts!
For a special occasion I couldn't recommend midsummer house enough.

Worcestershire
“Beautiful Birthday”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Midsummer House last weekend as my birthday treat.

We were the first guests of the evening (I use the word 'guests' because Midsummer is so intimate you really feel like you are visiting somewhere beautiful and homely for dinner). The staff made us feel wonderfully welcomed although I do agree with another guest that it might have been nice to have our aperitif in the bar before sitting at the table.

I cannot fault one moment, nor one mouthful from the moment that we sat down to when the door closed. It may seem like an extravagance, but I promise you it will be worth every penny!

Best bits:
- Daniel Clifford signing my menu and wishing me many happy returns
- the exceptional food and wine we experienced
- the friendly, professional staff
- how beautiful the conservatory looked with the fairy lights deep into the night
- knowing what was coming next, but not how it would be served (each course was like a mini present wrapped up in a bow!)

Quirks:
- it amazed me how knowledgeable the staff were about each and every course
- having a red wine served with cod (gorgeous!)
- how 'invisible' the service was (I'm sure there was a water spirit topping up my glass!).

Cranks:
- nothing. not now... not ever!

• Visited October 2012