“Best meal we have ever had!”
Review of Midsummer House

Midsummer House
Ranked #4 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Best meal we have ever had!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Booked for my boyfriends birthday at the end of October. We opted for the 1st sitting and were the 2nd table in.
The staff were friendly, and knowledgeable and as the evening went on it filled up nicely with a good atmosphere.
We like our food and every course made the other half smile which was my intention. We had the market menu and flight of wines, and we're really impressed. I'm not a fish lover yet the Skate was my favourite course, followed by the desserts!
For a special occasion I couldn't recommend midsummer house enough.

• Korean first
Worcestershire
“Beautiful Birthday”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Midsummer House last weekend as my birthday treat.

We were the first guests of the evening (I use the word 'guests' because Midsummer is so intimate you really feel like you are visiting somewhere beautiful and homely for dinner). The staff made us feel wonderfully welcomed although I do agree with another guest that it might have been nice to have our aperitif in the bar before sitting at the table.

I cannot fault one moment, nor one mouthful from the moment that we sat down to when the door closed. It may seem like an extravagance, but I promise you it will be worth every penny!

Best bits:
- Daniel Clifford signing my menu and wishing me many happy returns
- the exceptional food and wine we experienced
- the friendly, professional staff
- how beautiful the conservatory looked with the fairy lights deep into the night
- knowing what was coming next, but not how it would be served (each course was like a mini present wrapped up in a bow!)

Quirks:
- it amazed me how knowledgeable the staff were about each and every course
- having a red wine served with cod (gorgeous!)
- how 'invisible' the service was (I'm sure there was a water spirit topping up my glass!).

Cranks:
- nothing. not now... not ever!

• Visited October 2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Midsummer House”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I went to Midsummer House with my boyfriend for his bday present.
Wow! Where to begin! The food was perfection, the staff were friendly and helpful.
From the amuse bouche to the lovely dessert, it was clear there is something special about this restaurant.The food was, of course, superb. I can't really name a favorite dish because they were all so excellent!
Daniel Clifford is a great Chef preparing outstanding dishes that you would expect from a 2-michelin star restaurant.
Of course it's not an everyday thing, but as a special treat I would recommend it every time!!!

• Visited October 2012
Little Dunmow, United Kingdom
“A great night in the best in town”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

If you want the best then midsummer will be the only place to go. I have been going for years and it's at it's best now. Tours around after dinner. Chefs coming out to finsh the food at the table. Daniel Clifford has got it so right at the moment. Keep up the good work bravo midsummer team

1 Thank Debbie F
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Great venue - food average”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I joined a party of business colleagues in the private dining for a midweek dinner. The location, the room and the service were all impeccable but the food was good but not great. I doubt you would ever have a bad meal here but whether it is always exceptional enough to warrant the price you are asked to pay has to be questioned.

I suspect that we would have all done better to be in the main restaurant and been able to order from the a la carte menu rather than the restricted private dining menu. As we had spent over £100 a head for the evening it might have meant a greater wow factor.

• Visited September 2012