“Great food!”

Cuisines: European, French, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Be sure to try the cakes and pastries! The welsh rarebit is good as well. Local hangout with a refined and different approach to food.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Waited about 40 minutes for heated up egg and bacon pie with green salad and got pie with potatoes. Couldn't be bothered to complain as was so hungry. Pie wasn't that great and neither were the potatoes... take home cake was nothing exciting either. Generally poor.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

In my long ago student days I would occasionally buy Fitzbillies' wonderfully sticky chelsea buns and I'd read about the new incarnation in the Guardian so I went in with high hopes. It was all a bit of a disappointment. The simple style of the conversion, all hard surfaces, makes it unpleasantly noisy. The quality of the tea was good and the scone was OK but the service was slapdash. It took so long to come back and tell me that the cake I'd ordered had run out that I'd nearly finished my tea. When the waitress brought my replacement, she slapped it on the table and turned her back before I'd taken in what I'd been given and my calls after her asking for butter were ignored. Combined with the noise, the overall impression was school canteen with above average food (for a school) and failed to justify the relatively high prices.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am a big fan of Chelsea Buns, and so I was intigued to find a restaurant in Cambridge that claimed to have 'famous' chelsea buns. On entering Fitzbillies I was disappointed by the decor which beyond the initial service counter seemed uninspiring and cold, I was expecting a cozy tea shop, however the staff were friendly and welcoming and more than made up for it. I decided to try the sausage roll which has apparently been made to the same recipe for donkeys years and it certainly did not disappoint! The chutney served with the roll was wonderful and the sausage roll was probably the biggest I have ever eaten. I did of course have a chelsea bun for 'pudding', it was very nice and although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say I loved it, the sausage roll and chutney however I REALLY loved!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My parents were visiting for their Wedding Anniversary, and on the way back from a lovely punt on the River Cam, we came across Fitzbillies. As I had heard such great things about this place since I moved to Cambridge, I could not resist to take them in for a coffee. Very bad decision!!
On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff at the bakery counter who appeared far too busy to assist us with anything at all, so we went through the the cafe area at the back. We waited about 10 minutes and were shown to a table by probably the only member of staff able to crack a smile.I did mention to her at this point that we only wanted hot drinks, however it took another long wait, whilst others members of staff busied themselves putting up chalkboards and ignoring us, until I actually asked the girl putting up the chalkboards behind us to take our order! She was not happy about this!!! I work in the hospitality industry and can say it was frankly embarrassing the way she shrugged her shoulders and looked unimpressed when I asked her to take my order!!! No apology for the fact we had been ignored!Our teas and coffee arrived very promptly, but at this point to be honest I wish I had just left as it only got worse.
On leaving there was no service staff around to ask for the bill so we went back to the bakery counter, as we wanted to take some pastries away, and the girl at the counter said we would need to locate our order from the waitress as she couldnt find it on the till. Sadly the waitress was no where to be found, so we went through the ordeal of waiting whilst the disorganised team attempted to find our bill (for 2 teas and a coffee!) which wasted another 10 minutes!!!
Whilst I can see why the place is so famous for its pastries and home baking, the place is sadly not functioning well as a cafe so I recommend opting for the takeaway option if you plan to visit!!!

1  Thank CambsKG