“Versatile restaurant within a stone's throw of Kings College”
Review of Fitzbillies

Fitzbillies
Ranked #2 of 12 Dessert in Cambridge
Cuisines: European, French, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

During a weekend in Cambridge we had dinner, tea and coffee here so we must have liked it!

We started with Friday night dinner. The dining room is transformed by night by low lighting and candles and has a lovely atmosphere. The menu is interesting and has high points - the beetroot and goat's cheese salad and the asparagus with egg and low points - a tastless chicken in pastry and potato dish. In fairness when we were asked how we had enjoyed the food we did point this out and were offered free desserts. Overall the food was good the atmosphere lovely and despite what others have said we found the service attentive and friendly and had no complaints.

We followed with tea the next day before Evensong at Kings Chapel which was a treat. Wide range of tea and cakes and scones and cream. No complaints at all!

We finished with coffee the next day in the attached cafe bar after a long walk around the Backs. Delicious coffee and friendly service.

Overall we enjoyed our visits and it is well worth a trip here.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the first time I've written a review for Tripadvisor and I'm aware that its murky territory and can be used to ruin many independent restaurants. This being said, I felt I had to write up how awful the service was today. I went for lunch with two friends, both young girls. We were pointed to the end of a long table and then the waitress walked off, no menus, only two chairs. After eventually finding a chair and sitting down we waited for ten minutes for anyone to serve us, when we asked for a menu they said there wasn't one and that it was written on a blackboard on the other side of the restaurant. This is fair enough as the menu changes daily, but it meant we had to get up and walk through the very busy restaurant, standing in the way of the clearly inept front of house staff as they ran around the restaurant.
After checking out the specials board we waited another ten minutes before someone came and took our drinks order. In this time three other tables had been served ahead of us, all of whom had been seated after us. Perhaps we looked like we weren't going to spend very much money as we were young, either way we were totally ignored. When our drinks finally came they didn't bring milk for the coffee as we'd requested and all the glasses were boiling hot, having just come from the glass washer. We waited another ten minutes to have our food order taken, all the while trying to get someone's attention. Eventually I asked the manager if we could order and she seemed pretty embarrassed and sent someone over. We were seated by the pass and I could see food coming out of the kitchen and sitting there for at least ten minutes, getting cold, even after they had called service. We were quite understanding as I overheard that it was our waitress' first day, however management should have been aware of how chaotic the whole place was and seen to it that we had our order taken. I've worked in a few restaurants and recognise that it can be hectic, especially on a Saturday lunch time, but this does not excuse how terrible the service was in general. The ethos behind the restaurant and the food itself both seem great, so it's a real shame that the service was so poor.
I almost felt like telling all the people queuing outside not to go in. I really hope they get their act together because this place has real potential.

2  Thank atorra
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Fitzbillies is fine, but given all of the hype its received on various travel websites and tourist books I was expecting more. It's not a huge place, so if you plan to enter it's doors at meal time expect a wait.

1  Thank xtalguy_11
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I stopped off at fitzbillies for a light lunch on a day trio to Cambridge and were very surprised. We enjoyed a fantastic meal, I ate a great cold pie and a delicious seasonal salad, all topped off with an indulgent Chelsea bun sundae. I always think a mark of a good restutant is the patron on-site so it was great to see Tim Hayward buzzing about keeping his ship in order. Really did enjoy it, great food by any standard.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just visited for breakfast on Sunday morning, service good and food/drinks very nice. Not many people in mid morning but by the time we left was getting very busy. Food on deli looked very fresh, overall a good experience so would visit again.