“Special - makes a welcome change from all of the chain restaurants”

De Luca Cucina & Bar
Ranked #23 of 683 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: De Luca Cucina and Bar is a modern Italian restaurant in the heart of Cambridge City offering great quality food at affordable prices.Perfect for a quick lunch, a romantic evening or group night out, we cater for all tastes and wishes.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Special - makes a welcome change from all of the chain restaurants”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I ate here on a date on a Friday evening. We had booked a table for eight but we probably didn't need to as it was busy but not packed.

Food: I ate a salmon pasta dish which was one of the specials for my main course. It was really lovely and the salmon tasted as though it was good quality. The guy I was with had stuffed chicken breasts which he said were really nice and I personally thought that the dish was presented well.

For dessert I had a trio of sorbets which were so refreshing! I really enjoyed then but avoid if you don't like sour things. The guy I was with had a chocolate torte which again was presented to a high standard.

Service: the service was really good. We were told how long our main dish would take and checked on. We were offered drinks when we needed them. The staff were smiley and one of the waiters was having a long conversation with the couple on the table next to us.

Atmosphere: nice decor in the restaurant giving it a modern yet romantic feel. The kitchen is open so you can see all the chefs at work. There is quiet background music which suits the feel of the place.

Cost: desserts are 5 or 6 pounds and main courses range from 10 to 15 pounds. Steak costs slightly more.

I would certainly visit here again! It was lovely!!

• Polish first
Cambridge
“Great mojitoes, very good food though service not that attentive”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

De Luca is a little out of the main centre though convenient to where I live and close to other bars and restaurants. Three of us booked a table for a birthday meal just before Christams. The mojitoes were very good though not cheap and we were all very happy with our food. Great squid crisp not limp, fantastic tasty pancetta risotto and great tiramisu (that's what I had) The service was okay but we did feel as three older women that the waiters were more interested in serving the younger people around us. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and I would recommend the restaurant. The cocktail bar area is fun and the atmosphere zippy and lively.

1 Thank annemarie10
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Nice food, shame about the service”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked an early dinner as part of our family's seasonal treat to a meal and then the local panto. The atmosphere was understandably lacking as it was quite early for dinner, but this was not helped by the generally careless attitude of the staff who, with the exception of our first waiter who at leas made an effort to smile and engage with us, left us to pretty much to our own devices. We don't want to be fawned over but, with practically no one else to see to and at these prices, staff could have at least asked us about our food and been more prompt to change plates. (Unfortunately, our first waiter seems to have left halfway through our meal as it was the end of his shift.)

I also did NOT like the bill coming with the waitress having scribbled on it what a 10% tip would be. I can do my own maths!

The poor service was a shame as the food was generally excellent, especially my sirloin steak which was aged properly and cooked perfectly medium rare. The vegetarian starter was tasty and generous, and the fish was very good as well. The only average dish was the melanzane which was a cheesy mush.

Happily, Cambridge has other Italian restaurants to choose from, so we'll not be back

2 Thank Strozzapreti
deluca_11, General Manager at De Luca Cucina & Bar, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Many thanks for the review. Your views are important to us.

I apologies that the service you received was not up to the standard that we are known for. During December with the high volume of Christmas parties, some of the smaller tables must of fallen through the cracks. We have regular team meetings, so this review will be discussed and actions taken. I'm at least glad that you found excellent.

I hope you will not judge us solely on one regrettable visit. Please allow us the chance to invite you back to see how good we can be.

You can email me, via the website.

Thanks again
Jason
Cambridge UK
“Unfussy little gem!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our recent meal at De Luca. The service was good and the food delicious! We will certainly be returning for more of the same!

London, England, United Kingdom
“Well presented and tasty food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I visited De Luca on a quiet cold winters day, the food was well presented, tasted great and I was glad to see that the menu was simple- always a good sign in my books. I couldn't give De Luca 5/5 for a few reasons.

Firstly, they didn't have the ravioli dish that I really wanted.

Secondly the service was a little too relaxed for me. As we did not arrive together, it was a shame that some people had to wait quite a while to be acknowledged and place a drinks order. Personally I think it's good practice to offer service as people sit down.

I don't want these things to overshadow a great meal, with some very enjoyable wine.

The menu is quite expensive, but you get what you pay for here.

The service was overall courteous and polite, it was a good experience.