“Cambridge's best?”

Ranked #6 of 732 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open for dinners , Tuesdays - Saturdays from 6.30pm . Independent Restaurant , which is Situated inside The Gonville Hotel , Gonville Place , Cambridge , CB11LY , Mid January 2017 . We source the best quality Meat, Fish , Vegetables and products. 5-7 Housemade breads daily changing. Minimum three courses menu . Traditional , handcrafted style , from Masterchef ( Kuchen meister ) Hans Schweitzer and his brigade. Desserts a speciality , Signature dish - 'The Chocolate Piano ' designed and created by Luciano Pavarotti .
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This may not be the poshest or most expensive restaurant in Cambridge (though it is not cheap!) but overall it may be the best. The service combines friendliness and efficiency, the surroundings are lively, busy and yet quite relaxed, and the food is unfailingly imaginative and well prepared under the control of a chef who has had much experience in Cambridge and more exotic locations. I wish I could afford to go here every week, but it is certainly my first choice for special occasions.

2  Thank Robert T

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My children booked a meal for us at Cottos as a present, having read very good reviews on this site. The meal was fantastic from start to finish. The lamb was the best I have tasted and my husbands only complaint was that he could have eaten twice as much turbot as it was so good. Particularly important for us was the way the staff responded to the request for gluten free food as my husband is coeliac. We have had very mixed responses from even top restaurants in the past but at Cottos they went out of their way to cater for my husbands diet. There was home made gluten free bread, a real rarity and very tasty All the courses were able to be made gluten free. The chef, Hans had made a biscuit to accompany the desert which broke, so he gave it to us to take home and came personally to the table to give it to us. We were also given specially made gluten free chocolates. Ruth and the rest of the staff were warm and friendly and happy to chat. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Kathryn E
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a brilliant evening, the staff made a real effort to make it special. The food was excellent, the wine great and the chocolate combination dessert to die for. It's not cheap but, I paid a lot more for meals nowhere near as good. Would recommend for any special occasion or treat.

2  Thank Debs4206
Reviewed January 24, 2013

WOW! 4 of us went to Cotto a short time ago and we had an exceptional meal! It might seem expensive at £50 per head for 3 courses, but not only was the food amazing the presentation of each plate served was a master-piece, it almost seemed a shame to tuck in! My barley/sea food risotto was delicious, my lamb was cooked to perfection and the chocolates were to die for! One wouldn't think that 6 chocolates would be enough for a pudding but I've never had chocolates that were so explosive in flavours - do eat them in the right order! The waiter we had was lovely and he was very knowledgeable on wine and port and gave us some excellent suggestions. We really had a wonderful evening and I will definitely go back again. I can't recommend Cotto highly enough!

1  Thank AKBHCambridge
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was searching for somewhere different to have a fancy pre-Xmas meal with my Husband and decided what could be better than the current #1 restaurant in Cambridge? Cotto doesn't disappoint.

The restaurant feels very exclusive, there are only a handful of tables in the upstairs dining room, meaning it never feels too busy. Service was a little slow on the Friday evening we visited, but the place was full and we didn't mind as we weren't in a hurry. However when one of the waitresses was with us, she took her time to explain the different items on the menu and answer questions, which was appreciated.

We had the 3 courses for £45 menu and finished off with a pot of tea. We were treated to a pre-starter and chocolates with our tea. Generally the food was a bit fancy for our tastes as we do not usually eat at places half as fancy as this, but we did appreciate the effort that went in to making each beautiful plate of food.