“Unexpected surprise”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Visited with friends for dinner on Saturday night and chose this restaurant to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised at how it was. We were upstairs by the window and the service was welcoming and attentive with great food and good wines. Very good evening and will definitely come again.

1  Thank jostony

Reviewed May 30, 2014

My husband and I went to Restaurant 22 last night for our wedding anniversary. I wanted to go to a non-chain restaurant in Cambridge (hard to come by), which offered something a little different on the menu. I looked into several options, but found that 22's menu was by far the most exciting and far cheaper than the rest of the fine dining options I was considering. At £38.00 for the menu, a total bargain for the food offered, particularly when you consider that for the same number of courses you would be paying a similar price in a pub! We loved the wine list too: some really original choices: we drank the Torrontes-Riesling, which at £24.50, was reasonable. I liked the intimate feel of the place, the waiter was lovely. I could go into more detail about how delicious each course was, and describe flavours and textures, but for more information, check out the photos below, and visit the restaurant's website.My only slight criticism was that service was a little fast, but having read the other comments, I guess one can't please everyone! We would both warmly recommend it, and I'm truly amazed that there are anything but excellent reviews.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have wanted to go to this restaurant for years, so when my partner surprised me with a reservation, I was delighted...so maybe the subsequent disappointment had to do with the raised expectations, or maybe they have a new chef.

To start with, we tried to order cocktails only to be told that they don't really do cocktails, even though the ingredients were on the bar behind the waiter. Then we asked for two glasses of champagne, only to be told that they only do it by the half bottle. I personally have no issue with that, except this is a place that people are clearly going for a special occasion, so it seems like the management should anticipate and accommodate these types of requests...especially given the price they charge for that champagne.

We were brought little cups of soup to start, which was a nice touch, although the summer squash was overpowered by another strong spice and there seemed to be a layer of oil on top. The whole menu seemed a little limited, oddly paired and like it was trying to seem fancy, rather than tasty. Nothing really stood out as an obvious must try. Our mains were pretty good, though if you're going to serve plaice whole, the plaice should be big enough that you feel you didn't just pay for bones. My partner did like the fish wrapped in ham, though. The warm raspberry almond slice was very good, definitely the highlight, but the chocolate and lavender cake was dry and tasted like chocolate covered bath salts.

The atmosphere looks pretty and intimate when you first get there, but when it fills up, it is so noisy you can barely hear your companion, making it very difficult to have a romantic evening. Maybe it might be better if you have a bigger party?

All in all, a very mixed but overall disappointing experience; if you're a foodie and want a romantic night, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Sometimes you just want to sit in a restaurant and slowly take in the conversation and a bewildering array of food over many hours. I doubt there's anywhere better in Cambridge to do this than Restaurant 22. They are the pinnacle of good service in what feels like a family-run establishment. The restaurant is tastefully decorated and not too densely packed in despite the fact that this must have been a temptation when being set up.

The food is excellent - my wife and I have been a number of times and have never failed to be impressed. The lengthy monthly menus replete with amouse bouches and carefully thought out fish courses add that touch of elegance. The service is highly attentive and caring without being obtrusive. Expect to pay a little more than elsewhere, but unlike a number of 'high-end' restaurants, this place is actually worth it. Top marks for Restaurant 22!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We often have the pleasure of eating out in Cambridge and having heard the hype on this 'special' restaurant I booked a table for two for my husband's birthday. What a mistake! Instead of experiencing a perfect evening it turned out to be quite a stressful experience. The restaurant is tired and on the night we were there the ladies loo didn't flush. The first thing we noticed when shown to our table was that the wine glasses were not clean and were 'streaky'. After ordering our food we sat for what seemed like ages whispering as there was no atmosphere in the place. The food was very poor - hardly anything on the plates and quite tasteless. We had the extra fish course for my husband as a treat which was Scottish langoustines. This consisted of shells on a tiny plate with a miniscule of meat in them. An absolute joke. My husband also ordered the baked whole south coast plaice which was undercooked. It seemed as though it had been previously frozen as was swimming in water. He did mention this to the waiting staff but absolutely nothing was done about it. If you are happy to pay good money for good food don't go here.