Hotel du Vin Cambridge
  • Room Service
$156
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$147
$167
Hotel Felix(Cambridge)
$134
$126
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Breakfast included
$55
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscellar barcinema suitewolf blassvalet parkingroll top bathmonsoon showernespresso machinefitzwilliam museumsuperior roomunderfloor heatingmini barbirthday treatkings collegea lovely staywalk in showerreception staffstayed for one night
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My room - a standard double - was pretty spacious and reasonably quiet (facing towards the back, but right by reception), and the decor was in a reasonable state. Others in my group, though, were less complimentary about their rooms. Bed extremely comfortable and the room was generally conducive to a good night's sleep.

Staff on reception were great - friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile.

Breakfast offered an excellent array, without even touching the cooked menu.

Less excited about dinner in the bistro - it's a 'heavy' menu for a proper dinner, with no lighter options so go elsewhere if you're not after a hefty meal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our room was dark and dreary. The loo was badly stained and bathroom could do with a good clean. We did not like the Cigar Shack in the courtyard. Smoke wafting into bedrooms is not what we want. Then there was the noisy chattering of the late night smokers. We were pretty fed up. The saving grace was the good Bistro food and the lovely helpful staff. I'm sure they would like to see the hotel refurbished. They deserve better. Excellent central location but car parking is £18.00 per night.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Courtyard are situated next to the Cigar Shack, if you smoke that's ok.
1  Thank J A
Reviewed March 27, 2014

A very expensive hotel with internet speeds slower than dial up 15 years ago. Time for this hotel to lift its game. If it's going to charge top dollar it's about time it offered 21st century services.

If you are looking for a good hotel in Cambridge, skip this one and go to the double tree.

Damien.

2  Thank Dmlyons07
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked online for a two day treat with partner. The cost said £175 per night but on check out I was charged £195 plus £225 for Friday and Sat night. I didn't raise this at check out as it was a treat for my partner and didn't want to spoil the weekend. I emailed the hotel on the monday 17th March and I'm still waiting for a reply. So not happy. Room was an upgrade but very small with large bathroom area. Not worth the price especially the increased price.

1  Thank Jan4317
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I liked this hotel and would have given 3.5 stars if possible. It's friendly and with a nice 'designy' feel, bordering on luxury. It's wonderfully located in Cambridge (which is a small enough centre to begin with, and this hotel is as central within the centre as can be).

The front of house staff were as charming and helpful as could ever be asked for.

In advance of the stay I had some really helpful exchanges with the team there and Charlotte was great about arranging to give us a reserved area at the bar for a post-dinner party, and utterly helpful about parking and other requests.

Thus far, all very 5* review.

Upon arrival our room was spacious and well-appointed. Good room facilities, solid free wifi and nice toiletries, allied to a very comfortable bed and good soundproofing were all in keeping with the expectations - and also the price. This was not a cheap room (slightly above the Cambridge norm), but I wasn't regretting it.

The service from the rest of the team was, however, less spectacular.

When we arrived at the bar after our dinner with c20 guests the area had not been reserved for us and the staff knew nothing of my reservation. Some persuading later we had a space, but the service was terribly slow. Not horrible, nor rude - just slow and slightly inept.

Breakfast the next morning continued this 'theme of two halfs'. The breakfast itself was excellent and a real standard-setter. The buffet was generous, fresh and interesting, and included in the room rate. The cooked/menu breakfast was excellent and an utterly reasonable few pounds extra. However, the slow service went from comic to frustrating. Asking three times for hot milk to go with the coffee was bad enough, but on our second coffee the waiter somehow forgot that we had milk and the charade started again. Seeking basics like, er, butter took a long time and catching a waiter's eye was difficult - I think they'd had their peripheral vision removed, or were concentrating so hard on standing upright that there was no processing power left for observation...

The manager was great, but the staff looked as if they were slightly worried, bemused and all on their first day.

I've stayed in a number of the Hotel du Vin properties and I think that this is up to par with the others. Premium pricing, near-luxury rooms that are well designed and comfortable, managerial and front-desk staff who are friendly and helpful, and then overstretched staff elsewhere.

The price was not really "worth" it, but in the context of Cambridge (and expensive bubble with limited choice) it wasn't bad and were I to stay in Cambridge again I would look here first for availability.

Hence the 3* rating. It's not bad, it's good value for the city and location, and there are high points. It's just not awesome.

Room Tip: Street rooms are bright, and not too noisy - we were on the first floor in a studio (Marqueres) and found it airy and quiet.