“A wonderful stay”
Review of Warkworth House

Warkworth House
Ranked #12 of 123 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I chose Warkworth House for its perfect location, but ended up being suprised by its high quality of service. The house is old, but well-maintained. My room is clean and cozy, with good facilities and a very good window view. The staff is always friendly and helpful, making me at home. Breakfast is wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Warkworth House

Reviewed March 31, 2010

We recently spent a long weekend in Cambridge with 2 young children and spent the weekend in Warkworth House, we were thrilled with the experience we had while staying there. We had a beautiful, comfortable, clean room which was very spacious for 2 adults and 2 kids. We were made feel very welcome by Mrs. Collins who was very attentive and accommodating to our all needs, cot bed etc for baby. She made sure we had everything we needed during our stay there and we really felt at home there during our visit. Its situated in a fantastic location within easy reach of the city and has good parking and the owner provided us with a permit which was a great and unexpected bonus for us.

The breakfast was great, and the staff are very professional and friendly. Having not visited Cambridge before we would definitely pay a return visit as the City is a real gem and finding accommodation like this really made our trip, we would definitely recommend this B&B as its got everything you would look for in the perfect place to stay, perfect location, wonderful hostess, splendid accommodation we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I can honestly say I am really surprised at the previous review for this B&B, and would disagree in almost every respect!

First, the location was great (after all that's the main thing we care about, right?). The B&B is right next to a park, about 5 minutes walk from the city center and less than 5 minutes walk to a choice of pubs and restaurants (some great, some less so). Its on a really quiet side street (which is why the other review baffles me... WHAT noise from the road?!). Parking was free, and getting a space was never an issue for us. There was always an available spot, but it is on the road rather than in a parking lot. By way of comparison, we walked past a hotel on the park (a De Vere if my memory serves) and their parking cost £14 a night even for their own residents. Parking in Cambridge is obviously a real issue.

As for the facilities... Our room was huge and very bright and the power shower was brilliant! There are radiators in the room so you have control over your own room temperature. The bed was a bit squeaky but not enough to be annoying, and it was very comfortable with nice thick covers. The room had cable TV and a kettle with plenty of tea and coffee and real milk sticks rather than that fake stuff, plus biscuits. There was also a small table and 2 chairs plus a good size wardrobe. It's not Regency furniture, but its fine. The bathroom didn't have much shelving space but there was a huge fireplace with a mirror and shelves and plenty of space to put your make up and books and what have you. In terms of public space, there's a lounge room with papers, magazines and a pc with free internet. I saw some people with their own laptops so I guess there's wifi as well.

The full English breakfast (including veggie sausages) was cooked to order, as well as there being cereals, yogurts, fruit, toast, tea and coffee. We were so stuffed from breakfast that we didn't eat lunch once while we were there.

The best thing about the place was the service. The owner was friendly, seemingly always available, and really sensitive to her guests. We pretty much keep ourselves to ourselves and she totally respected that, but there were people there who she was chatting away to because obviously they wanted a different thing. One day I wasn't well and she even asked the workmen (the fire alarms were being changed) to keep the noise down for me so I could sleep.

As a comparison, last time I stayed in Cambridge we were at the Felix which is a good 20 minutes walk from the centre and costs more than double with no breakfast. All very swanky, but totally characterless and in an area with no restaurants etc. I'd choose Warkworth House every time over that.

I've just re-read my review and I know it sounds a but gushing, but I think its wrong when places get trashy reviews if they don't deserve it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astrophe
WarkworthCambridge, Owner at Warkworth House, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough review. I was devastated by the negative review we received at the start of March. I have owned and ran Warkworth House for over 30 years and take a great pride in my business and do try to make every Guest in my home very welcome and most people do appreciate the standard of accomodation that we provide. I appreciate the fact that you have pointed out that the horrible review we received was not warranted and I can honestly say you have restored my faith in the human race!

Reviewed March 6, 2010

I have just returned from a most delightful stay at Warkworth House. I was visiting my daughter who is in her first year at University and thankfully I have found somewhere which I will return to. Infact I have already booked up for my next trip as it is such a popular place. I stayed in a double room which was, large, comfortable and clean. The power form the shower was better than you would get in most hotels. The location was perfect as it only took 10 minutes to walk to the city centre. Breakfast was superb! Being health conscious, I was most impressed with the choices of fresh fruit salad and natural yoghurt and I couldn't resist the poached eggs on wholemeal toast. The staff were extremely friendly and Mrs Collins was so helpful to me and to my daughter who had some questions about facitilies in Cambridge. I do not usually like staying away from home but Warkworth House felt like a second home.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Stayed at Warkworth House in Feb this year, on the back of the great recommendations on here. However, I was so disappointed and would not stay here again. It is a cold, bare, echoey house, a rowdy group of people running it (seemingly in the absence of the owner?), it was really noisy, bathroom and floor of room were dirty as they hadn't been hoovered/washed, walls cracked, in need of repair. Breakfast was at best mediocre (eggs had no flavour, breakfast room was so full of thick, fatty smoke that we didn't want to sit there for long), no smoke alarms - just hanging wires where they were meant to be, tiny rooms, creaky old beds, single glazing which meant noise from front road was unbearable at night. Location was the best thing, except for no reliable parking - on road outside if lucky. Unfortunately was a bad experience, and we would not recommend. Would recommend going to Cambridge though as was gorgeous and will be looking for somewhere else to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank TRTravelReviews
WarkworthCambridge, Owner at Warkworth House, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2010

As you can see from all the other reviews, this is by no means a fair review or a reflection of the standard of service and accommodation provided by Warkworth House. I have been running Warkworth House for over 30 years and take the utmost care of any Guests staying in my home. I have emailed this Guest and asked for clarification on all the issues raised in this review and pointed out that many of them are simply untrue, unfortunately he has not bothered to respond. He also never mentioned any of these problems during his stay and didn't even mention them when he was checking out.
We are the most centrally located four star Guest House in Cambridge, we tell all Guests that we can provide a parking permit for parking in the street but it is dependent on there being spaces. Most guests appreciate this as all other establishments in such a central area either provide no parking or charge exhorbitant prices for it. All of our rooms are well above the required size, as dictated by the Visit Britain Guidelines and we are regularly told how comfortable the rooms are, by returning guests. All of the rooms are furnished with good quality furniture and we do not have any 'creaky old beds'. My staff members have been with me for over 20 years and take great pride in the breakfast they serve and are regularly praised for the quality and variety of the food served at breakfast time and couldn't believe that anyone would refer to their breakfast as mediocre, not to mention the 'thick fatty smoke'. Incidently the discription of the 'thick fatty smoke' would not actually have been possible as the fire alarm would have gone off and the building would have been evacuated! he standard of the cleaning of all areas of the house. This particular Guest obviously did not appreciate the fact that Warkworth House is a victorian building and we have endevoured to retain both the original features and character and I can only assume that the description of the 'cold, bare, echoey house' must have been a reference to the original floorboards in the hallway. We are in the process of upgrading our fire alarm system and as such there are some wires visible but certainly not to the level suggested in this review and there are most definitely smoke alarms all over the building. I do not believe the floors were dirty as the standard of cleaning in Warkworth House is very high. Also the description of a 'rowdy group of people running it' will be quite entertaining for anyone who has stayed with me as I have definitely never been described as rowdy!

To say I am disappointed by this review is an understatement, if the guest had made me aware of any of the problems he claims to have had, during his stay, I would have addressed them immediately and if he was still not happy I would have refunded his money so that he could try and find somewhere more modern that may satisfy his needs.

Reviewed January 27, 2010

Very comfortable, well-situated guest house for short-breaks in Cambridge, England. Mrs Collins, Proprietor, is extremely helpful and friendly. Her staff too are very courteous and did all they could to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The breakfast is delightful with plenty of variation - you will never go away hungry here! It is well worth a try and we would highly recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I've stayed at Warkworth several time over the last three years and never found anything to complain about. The rooms are clean and spacious (I've stayed in single, twin and family rooms), there is a wide choice of breakfasts, and the staff are so accommodating it's unbelieveable. They greeted me by name, remembered not just what I wanted for breakfast but also how I liked it cooked, and always have time for a chat. Warkworth is close to plenty of shops, pubs and restaurants (most importantly the Tram Depot - I'd return to Cambridge just for their chips!). I'd recommend Warkworth to anybody.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business