“Bathroom like an aircraft toilet”

Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is a clean and functional place. Definitely no frills. The bathroom is like a huge moulded plastic thing that must be mass produced. This hotel is newly built and whilst we had a no issue stay, I can see this hotel becoming very run down, very quickly. It just has that air about it. Type get what you pay for. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. I can't complain about what we got for the price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night and had a fairly typical Travelodge experience. This is a new hotel in a convenient location. Although our room was very clean and in good condition, there are already signs of wear and tear in common areas. The car park (free) is small. If you turn up at midday, there's a good chance that someone will be checking out so you can grab a space. You don't need to check in early - just let reception know you've parked up and they'll give you a ticket to put in the window. The bar and café areas are light, bright and impersonal and bar prices comparable to expensive pubs. We had breakfast both mornings and both experiences were dire! No orange juice, just apple or water. Rubbery scrambled eggs. Really poor quality bread for toast. No croissants on the second morning. It's quite poor value for money and you would be better off going outside the hotel for breakfast. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful if a little ineffective. For instance, on the first morning, we discovered on going down to breakfast that someone had vomited just outside the lifts. We let reception know but I don't think anything was done until the normal cleaning schedule as there was a residual mark on the carpet. My husband wanted to rest after a fairly tiring tramp around Cambridge and so returned to our room at 15:30 to find it hadn't been made up. Even after mentioning this to both reception and housekeeping staff, the room wasn't made up until well after 16:00. Our room was at the back of the hotel on the second floor which cut down the noise from traffic although we could still hear sirens etc. However the worst noise problem came from inside the hotel. Unidentified thuds and door slams continued until quite late at night. We probably will stay here again just because of the location but when the Premier Inn is completed I think the competition may be too much for the Travelodge.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a night as close to city centre for night out. Stayed many times with travelodge so know what to expect room cleanish, common areas fairly good but has only been open a few months. Check in slow but a guy called sabi( hope spelling is correct) was very nice. Now onto breakfast well where do I start! Went to bar paid for full buffet 7.95 approached hot food area nothing a few scraps of scrambled egg went back to guy and queried it said more would come yep some 30mins later! No yoghurts, muffins nor bread to toast, no clean cups, no ketchup and tables stacked with used dishes and it wasn't really that busy. Never again!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I did not really know what to expect, judging by some other reviews.
In reality, I had no complaints whatsoever about this hotel.

My fourth floor room was spotlessly clean.
The room was located at the front, adjacent to Newmarket Road and traffic noise during a rush hour period was barely heard.
Only the odd noise of doors closing in the corridor was heard and this was not distracting.

My visit was a very short one and I had no time to try out the eating facilities offered.

Room Tip: Minimal traffic noise on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Good value for money hotel; room, food, breakfast, bar.
Unfortunately the hotel underground car park is too small. There are insufficient parking spaces for the number of rooms. Arrive late on a busy day and you risk not being able to park. Cambridge suffers from a lack of places to park and the area around the hotel is no exception.
We arrived at 2100hrs on a Friday night and we were obliged to park in a disabled bay. The following night at the same time had to park on the roadside 10 minutes from the hotel. The hotel is not located in an upmarket area.
Unusually there is also a charge for the WiFi.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend stop over meeting up with friends and for the price it ticked all the boxes, it's brand spanking new (although it doesn't look it from the outside in some places). The staff were friendly and helpful, providing me with a map to find my meeting place. Room was comfy enough and I didn't hear any traffic noise even though I was on the 1st floor at the front. You have to be careful when the curtains are open as it is easy to see in from the road, so may prefer a room on the 2nd or 3rd floors. Ok the fittings and furniture are on the budget side, but it is a budget hotel and to be honest I only needed somewhere to get my head down and have a shower and it provided that in a clean and comfortable enough environment

Room Tip: I would go for 3rd floor given the choice, giving more privacy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel was initially okay when they built it, but is now falling to the usual poor standards.
Last night I stayed here with a colleague. We both had no hot water and asked them to fix it when we checked in. Nothing was done, and we had to have cold showers this morning. They seemed uninterested to refund or do anything about it. We weren't the only ones - lots of other people complaining about the same thing.

It's a place that's also subject to people coming back loudly from the pub at night and keeping you awake. Again, don't expect the staff to do anything about it.

My advice, is to pay a little extra and go somewhere that cares, and gives you shower gel in the room. Also, the breakfasts are awful. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business