“Disappointing Buffet”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went there with friends using a Groupon voucher but although there were plenty of Chinese people eating in the restaurant, none were using the Buffet. It wasn't a busy night and maybe it would have been better if it was, but the small amounts of food on offer sat there the whole time we were in the restaurant. There didn't seem to be anything fresh coming along. The Duck had run out and when eventually some more came, there were no pancakes to go with it. The food was OK, but it just didn't look attractive, as if the Buffet was there as a favour rather than a feature. Very restricted choice compared to others and when it came to the sweet section, all that was available was 2 dried out profiteroles, a few grapes, some chunks of melon and some slices of orange. The ice cream machine wasn't working but rather than arrange for a tub of ice cream to be available, they simply hung a sign on it. No-one asked if things were ok for us and although the décor was better than most, we left feeling we hadn't had a good evening out. It's a great location and could be a real treat for a night out, but it needs a whole new attitude from the proprietors.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were treated to a meal for 2 as part of the Groupon deals for Christmas. We arrived with mixed feelings which reflected previous reviews some good some not so.

Sadly we have to be among the not so good. It was disappointing to see such lovely ingredients sitting on a hotplate dried out so hardly edible. Lovely big prawns were like stones and the mussels were shriveled up. The shredded duck was nearly as dry as sawdust. What a pity all it would have took is a little stirring of the dishes and topping up sauces to keep everything moist But during the hour we were there no one waitress did that.

On the plus side the ingredients were good quality so when you found a dish not dried up it was lovely to eat. There was a really succulent beef dish and this was delicious.

I think my advice would be go for the menu dishes not the buffet as that food looked wonderful and much preferable to what we ate. It is really unfortunate about the buffet because what wasn't dried out was very nice indeed. A little more care of the hotplate would resolve some of the issues and also chucking out food that has just got too dried out and replacing it with fresh would definitely help. Sadly with the comments they are getting about the food they will end up losing money anyway because people will not return - we won't anyway.

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Visited on Sunday 26th and it was ok.I would come again tho.food was looking bit dry and I love pancakes but little bit of duck and was hard and dry as nails...waited and waited for more but never came....so left it....it just needs a big big referb and better food...compared to wok and grill it's miles behind sorry but I wouldn't go again

Reviewed January 26, 2014

It was my second trip to China City, this time with the groupon deal for a buffet meal which made me to write this review to warn others.
A year ago I visited the place with friends and had a delicious supper from the menu. I thought I would give a try to the buffet.
Had I known what a mistake I was going to do!

The food was not at all as described.
The soups were cold, stored in a large container for who knows how long, next to some dirty sauce containers with hand written contents.
In the middle of the room, where the large selection of Chinese and Japanese food supposed to be: the main buffet table with half empty or empty dishes. Scrapings and burnt or cold left overs in all of them. It was everything but an appetizing set up.

On the deal it specifically said different type of sushi is served. I specifically looked forward to that.
There were 2 sushi rolls left, both are broken in half. The tray was not refilled, the rice in it was tasteless. (both were made with those fake crab meat sticks)
I desperately had to try to find something edible as I was hungry. The only good dish was the fried noodle and some prawns, so I had some of these.

Some of the other food I tried I had to spit out. They were cold, chewy and just disgusting.

In the dessert section:
dried out mini muffins (12 for a pound in poundland), a victoria cake sliced up, grapes, oranges, melon and a very noise icecream machine. That's it.
I didn't think ice cream could be this bad. It was icy, absolutely tasteless and liquid. But hey, you can squirt shop bought chocolate or strawberry sauce on it, which is a bonus.
You can also try the half frozen profiteroles. Good luck on not getting salmonella from it!
I am not that brave.

This is the worst buffet I had ever experienced. So bad, for a long-long while I'm put off from Chinese food. My stomach still turns when I think about this experience.

I don't really care how a restaurant look if the food is good. This one is particularly bland on both areas. The temperature in the room was very low. My friend and I had to keep our coat on.

My only advice: do not eat a buffet here! Choose from the menu.

I read the other reviews and someone said there that all the negative reviews are from jealous restaurant owners.
I do not own a restaurant, not even a business, I'm just a normal person, who wanted to eat out with a good deal but regretted very much.
I leave China City to the people who wrote the positive reviews. Enjoy!

1  Thank moira v
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Went here with a Groupon voucher, not very good at all. Had the buffet, it had been sitting there a while and had to wait for new dishes to come out. As for the toilets, they were a disgrace...

1  Thank ROBERT H