“Amazing steak and cocktails but quite pricey”
Review of Cau

Cau
Reserve with OpenTable
Cau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 711 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We ate here on a bank holiday after hearing fantastic reviews from friends. When we first arrived at the restaurant we were seated but then were asked to move, which was a little irritating. The table we were moved to was under the stairs and extremely noisy as the seat at the back was enclosed on two sides by corrugated iron so the music playing in the restaurant echoed. We had to ask to move again as we just couldn’t hear each other. We then got given a table up stairs which was far nicer, quieter and more spacious. The décor was also fantastic and we could barely hear the music, which was great. We both had cocktails to start and then steak, which was incredible. The waitress was on her first day but was very friendly and eager to please – she admitted it was her first shift but we’d never have known otherwise. The cocktail menu was varied and it was fab being able to have amazing steak and delicious cocktails. I could have eaten anything on the dessert menu and my husband found it so hard to decide he asked the chef to make the decision for him and just bring him anything he fancied making. I’m quite fussy about my meat and like it to be british/free range/organic etc and did ask a waiter before ordering. He was very polite and well informed and seemed happy to answer all my questions. It was quite expensive and definitely not somewhere we could eat regularly. Possibly it was slightly overpriced as there are other places you can great steak but pay less.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

On my second visit to Cau, I took my girlfriend to mark a special occasion. I booked via a reservation website, leaving the note that it was our anniversary and on arrival they were friendly and congratulated us with complimentary champagne.

The food was exceptional. Steaks cooked beautifully, with the sides and sauces also hitting the mark well.

We hold Cau in high regard, and will return again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Excellent and attentive service from both receptionist and waiters. I had the rib eye and my partner the rump, both of which were utterly delicious. We chose the smaller portions and were very full by the end. We had wanted a booth when we came in, but one was not available. However half way through the meal, the lovely receptionist told us there had been a cancellation and if we wanted to, that we could move. We did and it was all done very smoothly. The waiter who was very knowledgable, gave us suggestions on how best the meat was to be cooked depending on what we chose, without it being intrusive, actually it felt very relaxed and natural. We loved the contemporary design that wasn't cold, actually the booths give you a really nice intimate feel which was great as we were on a date day out. A large party came in and was seated upstairs, so Cau can definitely accommodate large groups very well. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes steak. we are pretty picky, honestly the last time I had beef that good was at an Argentinian BBQ on top of mountain in Andorra - so not kidding when I say its good!

1  Thank Adelle007
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Had a great birthday meal at Cau in Cambridge. The food was amazing, a little pricey but delicious. The staff were very attentive and took photos for us and we got a free glass of bubbles for birthday. Have been back since for lunch and food and service was just as good. Atmosphere was good too.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went for lunch on a weekday and the steak I had was absolutely delicious. It's the best I've had in a long time in a restaurant. The service was excellent and I have been recommending this restaurant to all my family and friends.