“My 2nd Visit to Cau”
Review of Cau

Cau
Reserve with OpenTable
Cau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 706 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

On the occasion of my Birthday and 30th Wedding Anniversary myself, my wife and some family members visited Cau on May 23rd A little disappointed we did not get a table upstairs like I had asked for when I made the reservation. One of my party was an expectant mum, so no egg products allowed. She ordered a burger requesting just the burger in the bun, no Mayo (sauce) etc. but It had to go back, someone was taking notice of the request, but was quickly replaced!
Other than that the food was excellent!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Once you've got over the entertaining pun (waiters labelled cauboys) and industrial-space-diner decor, you can settle down to a jolly decent meal. A sufficient range of burgers and steaks: all good quality meat and well cooked. Staff were attentive and prices manageable. Benet Street is becoming increasingly foodie, and I suspect Cau will survive.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Met a very good old friend for an "alternative" Sunday lunch last weekend in Cambridge. She suggested Cau - she had not been before but had heard good things. We were welcomed at the door by a charming waiter who looked after us really well all afternoon. He offered advice on cocktails, wine choice and the extensive menu. All of which we took and had a great meal as a result. We opted for mouth watering rib eye steaks and shared a number of tasty sides including mac and cheese and triple cooked chunky chips. We were nearly tempted into a desert and will probably give in next time. Really great modern decor, friendly and professional service, extensive food and wine choices and some cracking cocktails - a super Sunday lunch!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This may contrast with other views, but our meal here was one of the worst we have had for some time.
I will be brief; loud music, tough steak, hard chips, the smallest serving of peppercorn sauce I have ever seen, and very overpriced for what we were served. Almost empty on a busy Sunday afternoon in central Cambridge and therefore little atmosphere.
The positives would be trendy decor, if a little sterile, and although tough, the meat did at least have some tatse to it.
I think they are maybe not catering for our demographic, in any case we will not be returning.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The steaks are very good and most of the other stuff on the menu was fine as well. And we were well looked after by waiter Fabio. CAU just let itself down with some of the details ... pretty tasteless crisp bread starters, steaks came to the table cold, OK they were ordered rare but that doesn't mean cold, the wine was fine but poured over generously. Plus we were upstairs so missed out on the bustle of the main restaurant and the furniture in the booths is a bit too overtly plastic. However it is good value but needs to just pay a little more attention to the details.