“Great Experience”
Review of Virtual Aviation

Virtual Aviation
Ranked #6 of 18 Fun & Games in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Prices start from £290. The simulator is available 16 hrs a day, 7 days a week (advance booking required - please call before visiting). Experience a thrilling flight at the controls of Virtual Aviation's new Boeing 737 flight simulator at Cambridge Airport. This brand-new, multi-million pound flight simulator is the most advanced of its kind. It's normally used for training airline pilots, but it's also available to members of the public. Book a 'Flight Simulator Experience' and you'll get to experience the sheer thrill of flying a large passenger jet - with hands-on guidance from an experienced airline pilot.
England
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Although I was looking for a full motion simulator experience I have to say how pleased I was with this fixed sim at Cambridge airport. It was good value and the graphics are so good as to make you believe you are moving anyway! I arrived with my wife who had no intention of flying but after some gentle persuasion from our instructor/host Mark she became first officer whilst I took the left hand seat. After a very good briefing from Mark, himself a fully qualified pilot, we took to the sim which was all prepared and ready to go. First job was a take off from LHR and some low flying over the sights of London. Then for a bit of fun we aimed to fly under the QE2 bridge (very nearly made it but ended up in the Thames just short of the bridge!). After that we flew around the south coast before doing some landings at Hong Kong's Chep Lap Kok in the dawn sunrise (the beautiful "sunrise" outside against the glow of our flight deck instruments looked quite beautiful - so realistic!). We kept to the basics, I did most of the flying including takeoff/landing etc whilst my "no. 1" looked after flaps, gear, etc - though she also took control for a while. Mark was excellent - friendly and informative, basically he would have let us have a go at virtually any manoeuvre but in the time we had the basics were more than enough to keep us busy and thoroughly absorbed. If you have an interest in getting on the controls of a B737, whether for fun or otherwise (and who wouldn't?) we can highly recommend this. Total time we had was 90 mins, 30 mins briefing and 1 hour flying, which is great value compared with some others around the UK. We will definitely visit again.

3 Thank suitableforupgrade
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are thrilled that you enjoyed the experience and we look forward meeting with you again soon.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mind blowing!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

visited whilst staying in the area, this was first class. After years of watching top gun i now know what it feels to fly like Maverick!

It is pricy for an hours flight, but you wont get anything like this anywhere else, me and my colleagues found it awesome! Go for it!

1 Thank ongarmeson
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Really had no agenda on this simulator session other than to have fun and experience a top quality simulator. What I didn’t want to happen was for the hour to turn into real work trying to stay upright. So with that in mind I was able to secure a reservation and with easy directions to the facility, was greeted by Mark who immediately made you feel welcome. You didn’t get the feeling that you were any less welcome there just because you are not a professional pilot.
Simon, the instructor pilot, arrived shortly thereafter and started the briefing using a tablet with some really nice graphics of the cockpit and the aircraft systems. He asked if I had any requests or special interests that I wanted to look at but I deferred to his judgment and it turned out to be a good decision.
In the simulator, I choose the left seat and Simon helped me get settled in and gave ample warnings about the spinning trim tab wheels at knee level. We started out with a takeoff from Heathrow with some steep turns over the city and then landing back at Heathrow. Next we did some mountain flying including terrain avoidance maneuvers. And now for something completely different, Simon suggested the Runway 13 approach at the old Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (I had to look that up). The runway is no longer there but it was fun making that turn over the city.
In the end it turned out to be a lot of work, and that made it a fantastic experience. Realistically, Simon was effortlessly doing all the background work which allowed me to concentrate on flying. He really made the difference in providing a professional and fun experience. Highly recommended.

3 Thank Gray492
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are so pleased you enjoyed the experience during your visit to Cambridge, thank you for your review. We look forward to flying with you again soon.
Boddington, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Don't fly with me!!!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is an experience that you do not forget at the controls of a civil aviation jet in virtually real conditions with all the pressure that a real pilot would operate under.
It is worth every penny and lasts for between 1 and 1.5 hours, but feels like either weeks or seconds depending on how well you get on.
I would recommend this to any budding pilot or anyone who thinks a pilots job is a doddle or they do not earn their money. It is great fun, but not for the faint hearted as you feel ever bump and shudder and the pressure is enormous.
Despite being a nervous wreck on finishing I would do it again in a flash. You really do have to go and experience this as one of those things before you die.

Visited November 2012
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are thrilled you enjoyed the experience, thank you for your kind words. See you again soon!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun & Exciting”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This turned out to be the perfect birthday gift. Friendly, efficient staff and the instructor (an airline pilot) was informative and explained the procedures very well. Thoroughly recommend this experience, it's not cheap but we thought it gave excellent value. We went for the one hour experience (you actually get approximately 1.5 hours with the instructor, one hour in the simulator). This was fine as only one person in our group was actually 'flying' the simulator, if everyone in the party wanted to have a go you would probably want longer.

Visited April 2013
Virtual A, Manager at Virtual Aviation, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback , it was great to meet you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.