“Mine Hosts Departing”

Dining options: Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Mine Hosts Departing”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Bruce and Jane are sadly leaving this superb pub and eatery after just nine months at the helm. We will sadly miss them for providing what was (may be will still be?) one of the best pub dining experiances to be found in and around Cambridge. We enjoyed a farewell party night on Saurday with mine hosts and as usual a delicious meal. One can only hope that who ever takes over the place manages to recreate the hospitality and good food that was the signature of Bruce and Jane. I understand the chef is also leaving so they will have their work cut out to equal the output of those who have left. Watch this space!!

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great decor”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at finding this pub not far from home, it had obviously been refurbished to a high standard. The manager was very hospitable and we enjoyed a lovely evening meal. There is a lot of play equipment in the garden to attract families and as we were dining as a couple I was a little put of by a screaming baby on the table next door, but as a place to go to as a family with young children for a quality meal this would be excellent,

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Wouldn't recommend this place to my worst "enemy"”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were on a business/holiday trip from the USA,

We visited here on our first night in Cambridge after reading the reviews on trip advisor, we were looking for a typical English pub! - oh my goodness!! Never, EVER, again!

Looking at the general condition of the place - should have given us a clue - DON'T GO IN!!!

We ordered fillet steak for our daughter - my husband has been in the butchery business for over 20 years - and that was most definitely NOT fillet steak - and to have the cheek to charge us over £20 for it was unbelievable. I had ordered the supreme of chicken - and believe it or not - nearly choked on bones! How can you get chicken breast so wrong?!!

Suffice to say - I sent my meal back - we were charged over £60 for 3 main meals and drinks - which would have been fine if we had a reasonable quality of meal - which we most definitely did not. Please, please, please - do not enter this restaurant - it's really, really, not worth it!

I spoke to the person behind the bar who was very rude to us, I then asked to speak with the Manager or owner! Unbelievably, the person I spoke to was the owner/manager….
Well, if he keeps that sort of attitude up, the place will go bust in 6 months..

We went to the Three Horseshoes in Madingley the next evening, following a recommendation from another Hotel guest - we all had 3 courses and plenty of drinks and only paid £75 for that!! Far, far superior and just goes to show how inferior the Wheatsheaf is!

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank George P
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“STILL OUTSTANDING”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is my second review of this pub/restaurant although this is not my second visit to the place, I have been a few times since. On this occasion it was a group night for our bi-monthly get together of ex work colleagues. Once again the food was exquisite and was endorsed as such by all the empty plates. We have never had a bad meal here and it is now one of our most favourite places to eat in the South Cambs area. The quality of the meat is outstanding and the prices for the food and drink are not excessive compared to other eateries. We are so lucky that this is on our doorstep and if anyone is driving north from London on the M11 or indeed South then this little pub is well worth seeking out for that break and meal. Well done mine hosts.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank JTreborM
Shanghai, China
“Excellent main courses”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Good selection on the menu, very good presentation of the food and at a reasonable price.
A lot of the food is homemade. Plenty of outside seating and a bouncy castle for the kids as well
Service was very good, the staff spoke to check everything was alright more than once and asked if we wanted more drinks.
The only downside are the desserts which are average but not spectacular compared to the mains
Nevertheless, I would definitely return and have already recommended the pub to other members of my family

Visited July 2013