“Pleasantly Surprised!!”

The Emperor
Ranked #121 of 715 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I have to be honest, this pub has never really appealed to me before. It has always looked like a normal drinking pub with not a lot of atmosphere. I moved offices recently and my new work colleagues seem to use it for pub lunches, especially in the summer as there is a large outdoor seating area that catches the sun. There seems to be a pretty good selection of beers but I opted for a ice cold cider. I ordered a steak sandwich with salad and chips. I wasn't holding out much hope but when it arrived I couldn't believe it. The chips looked home-made and rustic looking, the steak was cut into strips and laid in a ciabatta style bap. The salad was fresh! It was really tasty too. I cant comment on evening meals and what it is like for drinking but as a lunchtime pub that does food.....it is highly recommended. Cant wait to go back and try something else.....a fish finger sandwich maybe???

1  Thank Chris B

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The pub is on Hills Road so not quite in the centre of town. There is a limited menu of what's described as freshly cooked, locally sourced food. We opted for sausage, chips and beans as comfort food on a cold day. The sausages didn't taste of cereal, which was a plus point. As we were driving, we didn't sample any of the beers but they had a couple of Cornish ones on tap and two from Buntingford. There's a beer garden behind the pub which seemed well used, despite the weather. The only drawback is that the pub is not particularly disabled friendly. There's no disabled toilet, the ladies' loo is tight when you're wielding crutches and there's a step down into the gents. Overall, we enjoyed our visit and the food and will go back to eat there again, especially as it's close to the Botanic Gardens.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

After a day of Christmas shopping I stopped here for a quick pint, nice beer good atmosphere worth a visit off for some refreshment

Reviewed August 29, 2013

a great little...well huge pub qith a beer garden and can i say amazing food from a pub with karaokes and live bands and service is amazing i will go bar evwry week... nice pub very english pub with gteat choices of ales and larger

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stopped off here for a drink after work and ended up staying longer than intended. The pub and its beer garden has got a pretty plain character to it but there is nothing much wrong with it - it's just very simple as is the food which is basically your standard pub grub.