“A lovely stay”
Review of 5 Chapel Street

5 Chapel Street
Ranked #14 of 124 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a great stay here. The room was spotless and comfortable (no.3), the breakfast delicious and Christine super friendly and helpful. The walk into town, which only takes about 20 minutes, is gorgeous. It goes along the river where you can see the students rowing alongside swans and canal boats. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen E
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay, yes the walk into town along the river is really nice. We are fortunate to be just slightly out of the city centre as it is lovely and quiet here but just a short walk into the thick of things...
Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed in room 3 which, although very small, was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Our full English breakfast however was not enjoyable. The bacon and sausage was overcooked and very dry, and the fried eggs were browned underneath. No toast was provided (although there was a toaster on the sideboard, along with a few pieces of brown bread). We were though, given a small white roll of freshly baked bread (between two of us).
There were tea-making facilities in the room, but no milk. On both nights we had to go and ask for some milk. (Perhaps this was because it's preferable to provide fresh milk rather than long-life, but this was not explained to us.

1  Thank Chrissie252
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

I am so very sorry you were disappointed with your breakfast. I never make toast for guests as I know that I would prefer to make my own and assume that others are like me. The bread I provide is homemade, as is all the bread. You may remember that there was also some seeded soda bread to accompany the roll - this tends to be very popular.
Regarding the milk, you are absolutely right, I do not provide UHT so tend to put a jug of fresh milk into guests' rooms before I retire, or if they wish for some earlier on, they ask me for some. I do usually explain this to guests, sorry that I omitted to in your case.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We arrived later than expected and this seemed to set the tone for our stay as Christine seemed very abrupt when we arrived. However we were caught in a traffic jam and did try to ring but could only leave a message on her answering service. Directions into town that evening to find a restaurant were minimal and relied heavily on a map that Christine did provide and some guesswork. Breakfasts were very tasty, but the bread seemed rationed and ran out on the first morning. What bread that was provided was however home baked and tasty, just not enough of it for the three couples staying there. You felt like you had to ask for everything, rather than the host coming and checking if you needed anything. The room was very small, and priced the same as all the other rooms. It was clean and neat but did have a bit of a smell so we needed to keep the window open to air the room.
We had traveled through England for the previous 6 weeks, staying at a variety of B&Bs along the way, but on service and value for money this B&B did not make the grade, with the worst service and well over-priced for what it offered.

3  Thank garn01
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

I am so very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Regarding the bread in the mornings, we do run out from time to time but there is always more. I prefer to notice before my guests but this is not always easy when I am cooking several breakfasts in the kitchen next door. People are always welcome to ask for more.
The room that you stayed in is technically the smallest but it is more conveniently shaped than the very slightly larger one next door so it is priced at the same level. I also noticed a strange smell which I am happy to say, is there no longer. We do have a large double room at a higher price - this is probably our most popular room.
I am glad that you at least enjoyed the breakfasts which are made from local free-range ingredients and which also feature home baked bread.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We received a first-class, personal service from Christine from the very first enquiry email to checking out. She is a kind, thoughtful host and she made us feel very welcome in her beautiful home. The bedroom (no.2) was compact but adequate. The bed was comfortable, the homemade biscuits in the room were yummy and the breakfasts were really delicious. Christine's enthusiasm and energy were infectious. Thank you for your warm hospitality Christine.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

It was a great pleasure to meet you both and I hope you will stay here again on your next visit to Cambridge. Thank you for your kind words - as you say, Bedroom Two is small but adequate. Maybe next time you can spread out in the larger room!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was one of those really annoying costumers, I asked for a large vegan breakfast, I asked how many stairs there were to our room (my mum have some mobility issues).
I answered half of her questions in our email correspondence, asked for a change of date, then changed back again and was in general very messy when communicating with her.
I would have been very annoyed by someone who behaved like I did, but she was super nice and very accommodating. Christine handled everything beautifully, even send a picture of the stairs :D

The food was excellent, Christine made me vegan breakfast and even a special batch of her home made cereals! There were home-made vegan cookies in the room. Her sense for details and dedication to my request for vegan food was perfect!

The room was just as nice the pictures on the website! This is very rare. The room and bathroom was redonkulously clean, not a single spot nor any dust anywhere. Perfect for me who is allergic to dust.
The location of the B&B is a bit off, but this turned out to be an advantage since the walk we took to the city turned out to be magical. Costs about 10£ for a cab I think..? Not sure.

Christine showed us a couple of ways how to get into town, and it was an experience walking along the river, or walking through the large park/pasture.
Christine was super friendly gave us lots of good ideas and recommendations for what to do in Cambridge.

The only bad thing I can say was that the beds were narrow, I am used to 110-beds at home, and these 70 or 80-isch wide made me uncomfortable.

NOTE: I cannot recommend this place enough. It's very luxurious for the prize I paid and Christine service was impeccable. So if you are in Cambridge, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Room number 1 was beautiful!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

How nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind words and also the nice photos! I hope to see you here again before too long.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Homeward bound after a fantastic stay in Cambridge, which was made even more special by our stay at No 5 Chapel Street. Christine is an amazing host, and I knew even from when I booked that it was going to be lovely. The house has been beautifully restored and feels very welcoming and homely, with touches such as homemade biscuits in your room. We stayed in Room 1, which was a large double with a huge en-suite including a roll top bath (a nice long soak on arrival after a long drive started our weekend off very well!!). Christine's breakfasts are worthy of a review all of their own - amongst which were homemade muesli, home baked rye bread, locally sourced bacon and sausages and, last but not least, the kedgeree - wow! - all served in the lovely dining room on beautiful china. Part of the reason we booked was its proximity to Midsummer House, as No 5 Chapel Street is only a 15 minute walk to the restaurant along the River Cam with views of the college boathouses en route, and 20 minutes walk to Jesus Green/town centre. I would definitely stay here again and thoroughly recommend it for anyone visiting Cambridge, over and above faceless chain hotels any day of the week!! Thanks again Christine :0)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm so glad that you both enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit again with friends as you said you might. Perhaps you will be luckier with the weather another time! However it is lovely that you made the most of things as they were!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Lovely hostess with an excellent B&B.
My wife greatly enjoyed our stay.
It is a lovely walk into Cambridge from here, and the oub around the corner has both excellent beer and food.
The breakfast was excellent
All in all my wife and I had a wonderful time

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RJZK

Thank you for your positive review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the problem we had with the shower while you were here. Thankfully that is now fixed! I hope to see you both again on another trip.