“Perfect for vegans( and everyone else)!”
Review of 5 Chapel Street

5 Chapel Street
Ranked #15 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was one of those really annoying costumers, I asked for a large vegan breakfast, I asked how many stairs there were to our room (my mum have some mobility issues).
I answered half of her questions in our email correspondence, asked for a change of date, then changed back again and was in general very messy when communicating with her.
I would have been very annoyed by someone who behaved like I did, but she was super nice and very accommodating. Christine handled everything beautifully, even send a picture of the stairs :D

The food was excellent, Christine made me vegan breakfast and even a special batch of her home made cereals! There were home-made vegan cookies in the room. Her sense for details and dedication to my request for vegan food was perfect!

The room was just as nice the pictures on the website! This is very rare. The room and bathroom was redonkulously clean, not a single spot nor any dust anywhere. Perfect for me who is allergic to dust.
The location of the B&B is a bit off, but this turned out to be an advantage since the walk we took to the city turned out to be magical. Costs about 10£ for a cab I think..? Not sure.

Christine showed us a couple of ways how to get into town, and it was an experience walking along the river, or walking through the large park/pasture.
Christine was super friendly gave us lots of good ideas and recommendations for what to do in Cambridge.

The only bad thing I can say was that the beds were narrow, I am used to 110-beds at home, and these 70 or 80-isch wide made me uncomfortable.

NOTE: I cannot recommend this place enough. It's very luxurious for the prize I paid and Christine service was impeccable. So if you are in Cambridge, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Room number 1 was beautiful!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

How nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind words and also the nice photos! I hope to see you here again before too long.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Homeward bound after a fantastic stay in Cambridge, which was made even more special by our stay at No 5 Chapel Street. Christine is an amazing host, and I knew even from when I booked that it was going to be lovely. The house has been beautifully restored and feels very welcoming and homely, with touches such as homemade biscuits in your room. We stayed in Room 1, which was a large double with a huge en-suite including a roll top bath (a nice long soak on arrival after a long drive started our weekend off very well!!). Christine's breakfasts are worthy of a review all of their own - amongst which were homemade muesli, home baked rye bread, locally sourced bacon and sausages and, last but not least, the kedgeree - wow! - all served in the lovely dining room on beautiful china. Part of the reason we booked was its proximity to Midsummer House, as No 5 Chapel Street is only a 15 minute walk to the restaurant along the River Cam with views of the college boathouses en route, and 20 minutes walk to Jesus Green/town centre. I would definitely stay here again and thoroughly recommend it for anyone visiting Cambridge, over and above faceless chain hotels any day of the week!! Thanks again Christine :0)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm so glad that you both enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit again with friends as you said you might. Perhaps you will be luckier with the weather another time! However it is lovely that you made the most of things as they were!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Lovely hostess with an excellent B&B.
My wife greatly enjoyed our stay.
It is a lovely walk into Cambridge from here, and the oub around the corner has both excellent beer and food.
The breakfast was excellent
All in all my wife and I had a wonderful time

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RJZK

Thank you for your positive review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the problem we had with the shower while you were here. Thankfully that is now fixed! I hope to see you both again on another trip.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had a very comfortable stay in the double room with bathroom. Wide, comfortable mattress, proper down pillows and duvet. The only caveat I'd give on the bathroom is that the bath (over which is the shower) has tall sides and if you're a bit unsteady you might find it slightly tricky to get in. For us, though, it meant the opportunity of a lovely soak in lashings of hot water up to the neck. For breakfast we highly recommend the kedgeree.

The walk into Cambridge is virtually car-free as you walk down quiet streets, then by the river and across Midsummer Common. Saturday morning the river was full of eights and fours practising.

Lovely weekend. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed the kedgeree! I'm soon going to add to the range of cooked breakfast on offer and hope to see you again another time.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

5 Chapel Street is the most refined and serene B&B I have ever stayed in.
The attention for details makes it very remarkable while you also feel special while staying in this house.
The bedrooms are luxurious and simple, which makes the house very charming.
Thank you so much Christine !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

It was a great pleasure to meet you and I hope to meet more of your family when they visit you now that you are working in Cambridge! So glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for this very kind review.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

5 Chapel Street is a lovely B and B with a very welcoming owner. My room was clean and peaceful, with an excellent shower. The breakfasts are worth the stay alone, with delicious home-baked breads and jams, bacon and eggs, and kedgeree on offer. The walk into town by the river was delightful, a stroll of twenty minutes or so. I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Christine U, Owner at 5 Chapel Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

It was very nice to meet you too and I hope we will see you again on your next business trip to Cambridge. Thank you very much for your positive comments, much appreciated!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is an excellent B & B. Clean, quiet & comfortable & only a 20-minute stroll from the centre of town. Christine is not only a warm & considerate host but also an excellent cook (so breakfast means much more than the usual fare). Our only minor quibble was the size of our room which was less than large. We understand this was due to the local planning regulations when the building was converted, but it did make things a little cramped at times (and is the only reason we didn't give it the full 5 stars). But don't be put off by this comment because - having stayed in many B & Bs over many years - we are confident in giving this one a high rating.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank joanandia

Thank you for your comments, so glad you found the room comfortable, despite its size and delighted you enjoyed the food. I hope your onward travels have also been good and that we may see you again some time.