“Visited again, not as impressed”
Review of Jolly Brewers

Jolly Brewers
Ranked #302 of 691 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Jolly Brewers is a welcoming place where you can enjoy a drink or food in our comfortable bar or if you prefer you can eat in our separate restaurant. In the summertime you can enjoy our nice beer garden at the front of the pub or the smaller garden with a small play area at the back of the pub. There is a covered smoking area with patio heaters for your comfort. There is also a free off road car park but also ample parking in Fen Road.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Visited again, not as impressed”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

After my first review, where I was impressed by the place, I paid a couple more visits...

The second was again with a large group of friends and "pre-selected" food.
The dinner was great, the food delicious, the service good and fast.
Very nice desserts as well.

However, I paid a third visit at a random Sunday night, not having planned it beforehand.

I was not impressed at all and here are the reasons:
- no young people around (Saturday night) whatsoever
- food mediocre to not-that-good unfortunately
- service average ("- What ales do you have? - The ones that you see there.")

We had a couple of burgers which were just bun,burger, chips and nothing else. Fair taste, but not worth it, compared to other pubs.

Overall I would say that it is a good place to arrange a large group outing, they really offered a good dinner twice, but when on your own, it is not the place to go, there are much better and cheaper pubs out there.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank midiangr

Carterton, United Kingdom
“I only wish there was a six rating - Such a great place!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Friendly staff, proper pub where you can enjoy a chat with the locals, great ales, perfect hotel room which was immaculately clean, excellent food and the crumble was served with custard, brilliant breakfast chef served a perfect breakfast. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending The Jolly Brewers for all forms of hospitality. We look forward to coming back.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank P1BRX
Derby, United Kingdom
“So different”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have recently reviewed this and had a lovely meal in a welcoming setting. In the last two occasions I had a terrible meal served by a waitress that really couldn't be bothered. I am not sure if it was a new chef but the veg had been microwaved to death and the meal not nice. The final straw and the one that made us decide never to return. We were pleased to see it was a different waitress accompanied by man behind the bar it was unusually busy. Again we were pleased to see the lamb tarine on the menu. We waited to place our order. The man behind the bar stood pointing out to the young girl what needed doing but did not even help her get drinks.
Eventually she brought our meal and it was awful it had a bitter almost burnt taste not at all like the last one we had.
We sat with dirty plates for a while the man behind the bar looking over and then looking for the waitress who was rushed off her feet. When she returned to the bar he pointed to our table. She came over grabbed the plate asking if we want desert. As we waited for her to take our order guests arrived to book into the accomodation. They spoke to the man behind the bar. He called the waitress over have her the keys and she left to show them over. In her absence he stood behind the bar doing nothing. We decided not to stay any longer and for the first time we saw him work he took our payment. I have seen him there before. He told me to move my coat as it was in the way of the kitchen door as he carried meals out. On this occasion though he did nothing which was more frustrating than the poor girl running round. I felt I had to share this and retract my previous review. It is like they have lost interest in their customers and maybe the old chef had left. I will not return so can't advise others to.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Melanie H
MiltonInns, Management at Jolly Brewers, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We are disappointed that your recent visit was not a good experience for you. If you could provide us with the date and time of your visit we will be able to ascertain which waitress was on duty to address that issue.

We do get many excellent reviews with regards to both our food and our service. We do provide a customer comment card with every bill presented in order for customers to give us feedback on their experience, unfortunately we do not appear to have received one from you in this instance.

All of the meals we provide are cooked fresh daily, if you could also provide us with which meal you ordered we can address this issue with the chefs. The photograph of the potatoes and veg for 2 does not appear to be accurate as there is a portion of chips by the side.

As you may be aware the Jolly Brewers is a privately owned public house / restaurant, there are occasions when the owners will help out behind the bar when necessary due to busy periods and staff illnesses etc, unfortunately they do not work the restaurant floor, again if you can provide us with the date and time of your visit we will be able to ascertain whether your complaint with regards to the man behind the bar was 1 of those instances.

We hope you do visit us again when we can provide a more pleasurable experience for you as per your previous visit and review. There has not been a change in ownership or management or staff since we re-opened in 2012 and we still employ the same chefs. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
Nottingham England
“Enjoyed the food in this Restaurant”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here for two days B & B as we were watching the rowing regatta our son was in. Anyway on to the review. The food was extremely tasty and well presented. Also we thought reasonably priced. Lovely decor and clean. The staff very helpful we had Nicola serving us, she was so helpful and a cheerful waitress nothing to much trouble for her.
They do stop serving food at 9.00pm. Car park at the back along with the small B & B rooms which I will now write a review on. Give this pub a go I can only say we were not dissappointed with our meals for the two days. We had three courses which I never usually have.
The sticky toffee pudding is fantastic. Now on a diet!!

• Visited June 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I made a number of trips to this pub so was able to try many of the dishes. I have to complement the chef, the food is reasonably priced with ample servings, cooked to perfection. You have to try the lamb tagine truly amazing flavours!

Visited May 2013