“Not bad - would stay again”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a business trip down in Cambridge for a couple of night, so decided to book myself in at this place.

Rooms were a nice size, well lit and a decent bathroom. Biggest plus, was the nice massive car park, which meant you can park outside your room if you're on thre ground floor.

Staff not bad overall - I had one useful guy, very eager to help me find out information about the area, and then also an incompetent young lady working at the bar, who not only looked depressed but messed up my order! She kind of made it up, with lemonade on the house, but the food service was not good in all honestly

However, I would stay again as the place was nice and had good links back into the main city

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear ZADSP,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the rooms.

However, We’re sorry about the poor customer service you received from our bar staff which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is Ok if you are happy to drive or cab into the main part of Cambridge. Also there is no pool at the hotel, it is in a complex next door. The rooms are very clean. The breakfast was fine. Nothing to write home about but adequate for singles and couples. As a family of four we were squashed in. There is no room service or mini bar at this hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Shaz03_13,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a friends Hen weekend. This hotel seemed a good option as I could get 4 people in each room (I had 15 people to organise altogether!). In the end a couple of people couldnt make it so everyone ended up with a double bed each which were very comfy! All our rooms were next to each other and were clean and spacious, we were all very impressed! Initially I was concerned about how far out of the city centre it was but reception were incredibly helpful and efficient at booking taxis for us so this wasn't an issue at all over the weekend. It was only a 15 minute taxi ride into town so that cost shared between 12 of us was very small, much better than having to pay expensive parking charges in Cambridge city centre. Im not sure why there are so many negative comments on here about the breakfasts? They had the usual English fried breakfast, cereals, toast, pastries, fresh fruit, yoghurt and even pancakes! Not sure what else you would expect to be honest? We also had hot nibbles off the bar menu one evening too which were all really tasty, just the right amount of food before going on a night out! Overall, very impressed with this Holiday Inn, (usually on hen weekends the accomodation is really just somewhere to rest your head!!) but I can honestly say it was a pleasure to stay! Would return without question.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My last review of this hotel was less than complimentary being thoroughly ticked off at finding internet access was a very expensive option. Chain hotels in the UK seem to delight at extracting the last penny out of you for what the very vast majority of hotels elsewhere in Europe provide free as a service to their quests.

That was then, I was delighted to find on my most recent visit internet access throughout the hotel is now free. I am not suggesting it is a result of my previous rant, I don't know if this initiative is local or nation wide (the Holiday Inn Westfield London was still charging 2 weeks ago) but well done to whoever made this change of policy. Let us hope other chains wake up their ideas and follow suit.

On the second morning of my stay I reported a fault with my TV, true to their word it was fixed for my return that evening. A car was also reported that evening with an internal alarm sounding, 5 minutes later its owner was dealing with it saving a flat battery the next morning. Holiday Inn Express will never win awards for its catering, this one deserves an award or customer service; thank you for listening and responding.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stay at this hotel about once a month for business. It is extremely handy to the fulbourn area and the business parks and Cambridge airport.

It is a holiday inn express and I have found the standard to be what you would expect, clean tidy rooms and friendly staff.

This is not a hotel for a romantic night out and the food I have had leaves a lot to be desired but as place to sleep near where I need to be with a secure car park and now free wifi.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here two nights for a graduation when other hotels in the city were booked up. It is a long way from the city centre: a twenty minute taxi ride at best, considerably longer in the rush hour. The room was fine, just what I expect in budget hotels. Hanging space and open shelves but no draws. A shower rather than a bath, but I prefer that to the short baths you often get. I liked the blue light in the bath room, which enables night time visits to have light without disturbing others - although this is only necessary because of the strange opaque glass panel as one of the walls of the bathroom. The bathroom is clearly aimed at the visiting businessman as ther eis insufficient hanging room for two sets of towels. Food at the bar was surprisingly good, and the bar itself is wuite pleasant. Breakfast was good too, limited but covering all the bases. So would I stay here again? Yes, but not for a visit to the city centre.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear ddcjlane,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Check in was ok, the woman receptionist was very helpful, could do with more staff though as I had to wait 10 minutes to check in.
Room was ok, clean, comfortable and everything needed.
Couldnt get a signal on my phone, the free wifi was a bonus.
Breakfast was ok, not much choice but satisfactory.
As a member of the loyalty club I stay at a lot of Holiday Inns but I dont envisage returning here, it needs more atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear robborobson,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate your compliments on our rooms.

On the other hand, I am sorry to learn that we have failed to deliver an exemplary service on check in and regret that your stay didn't meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and dissatisfaction this has caused you.

Once again, thank you for your comments. As a club member, your patronage to our hotel is very important and rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you will still give us another chance to welcome you back and allow us to redeem your faith in the quality of our product.

Dhan M