“Luxurious hotel convenient location shame about breakfast”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We chose this hotel for a quiet and relaxing weekend away without the kids to celebrate a 40th birthday and weren't disappointed by our choice. The room was excellently proportioned with all the little touches you would expect from a hotel of this class including bathrobes. It was also immaculately clean. The bed was large (superking?) and comfortable. We arrived early (midday) and therefore although the room wasn't ready, we were able to check in and leave our bags in reception which were duly taken to our room ready for our return.
The centre of Cambridge was easily accessible with a 5 min bus ride from a stop at the end of the road; the service is frequent and cheaper than taking a car and parking.
The only reason that this review didn't get the full five stars is the breakfast. The continental breakfast buffet consisted of cereal, fruit salad, fruit ,pain au chocolate and toast anything else including meats and cheeses were extra as was the full English. We did pay the extra for the FE and whilst well cooked was not very generous for the price. I have stayed at many hotels of a similar class or better and this was by far the stingiest breakfast choice of any. That said I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone and will stay again if the opportunity presents itself but I will not stay for breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Tiredmummies
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for your recent review and I hope that you enjoyed your special birthday. What more fitting a venue in which to celebrate! I very much appreciate your lovely comments about the hotel and these have been shared with the team here at Hotel Felix. I'm glad that you took advantage of the bus into town. It's so convenient isn't it and certainly saves on parking fees. I'm so sorry that you did not reward us with five stars due to the fact that you felt that our cooked breakfast did not represent value for money. I have passed your comments to Chef for consideration.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Living not far away in Suffolk, my wife and I decided to do something a little bit special for our wedding anniversary and her birthday this year. Although we know Cambridge itself, we had not visited the Felix before so made a three night booking on the strength of previous people's reviews. We were not disappointed. This hotel displays excellence in all departments. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the food is fabulous and there was very little to criticize. The afternoon tea is highly recommended. Without exception, all staff were friendly and helpful and we will definitely be returning. Prices are what one would expect from a hotel of this quality, but we were surprised at there being no in house spa facilities. If you just want an upmarket relaxing break however, the Felix is the place.
If I wished to "nik-pic" at all, the only thing we didn't expect or like, was a seemingly one off 45 minute wait for a dinner main course and a room that had a tree blocking the light out and requiring lights on in non-eco friendly fashion during the day as well as at night.
We will definitely be returning here, by far the best of the top Cambridge hotels.

Room Tip: Request a room away from trees outside. The first floor seems to be very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael A
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

How lovely that you chose to stay with us for your anniversary and your wife's birthday treat. We are very flattered indeed and delighted that we did not disappoint! I have shared your comments with the team here at Hotel Felix and they will be thrilled that their efforts have been recognised and much appreciated. They work so hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay and return home with similar impressions that you have of the hotel. I am sorry however that you had to wait longer than usual for your main meal and that your room was a little dark. There is a large and rather beautiful Holme Oak (forgive me if I am wrong) at the front entrance to the hotel and now is the time I think that it needs a little gentle surgery.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Enjoyed our 2 night stay at Hotel Felix. Very nice and clean - updated. Food was very good. For the most part the people at reception were extremely helpful and friendly, but did run into one who acted as if inconvenient to answer questions. Picture on their website is confusing as it is the back of the hotel, not front, so the only was I knew we were there was the sign. Does have free parking but is not convenient to walk to town.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Mozarteum42
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Many thanks for your review and kind comments. Our reception team have a great reputation for being efficient, helpful and friendly and I do apologise profusely if the receptionist which you mentioned failed to answer your questions. Perhaps it was busy at the time? I am also sorry to hear that you were confused by the image of the hotel. We do use the 'back' of the hotel since it looks so pretty, particularly in the Summer when it is covered in Wysteria. Having said that, the 'front' is looking stunning at the moment and is covered in a creeping vine whose leaves have turned a glorious red. With regard to the walk into town, some guests love the gentle half hour stroll into town along the leafy boulevard. Others prefer to leave the car in our free car park and take a five minute bus or taxi ride into the centre.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Although the bedroom was spacious and bed comfortable the room was very dark,and you needed lights on all during the daytime,it might be a good idea also for someone to trim back the tree directly outside the window so some light would come in.This would also help the Hotel's electricity bill!
The evening meal on the first night we enjoyed,but on another evening we decided to have a quick snack! In the Bar......so much for that,one sandwich took forty minutes to arrive,and cheese and biscuit portion had not arrived after fifty minutes!!so we cancelled the order. The service was very poor,and the staff seemed to be all over the place.
Very disappointing for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnrowe918
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had the opposite experience of the previous reviewer. No more tea or even hot water was offered! Our previous experiences of afternoon tea have always included offers of more tea, sandwiches and cakes. Not at Hotel Felix!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Janos_93
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your recent experience of afternoon tea. We feel that our afternoon tea offers an enticing choice and is excellent value for money at £15.95 per person. We do ask guests if they would like more tea or coffee, however we are not able to provide additional sandwiches and cakes unless they are paid for. These items can, however, be ordered at an individual modest charge.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night at the weekend whilst we explored Cambridge. We were really please with the hotel. Being only short distance from the heart of Cambridge it was easy to find. It was lovely and clean which i think for most people is one of the most important factors (to complain about a showerhead seems so minor?!) Our bathroom included a bath and a walk in shower which i think it a nice touch.

Had a great sleep thanks to the huge comfy bed! And the unique wallpaper is a nice touch.

The restaurants evening menu was a little out of our league but i'm sure others would love it. However, breakfast was lovely and we wasn't disappointed by the quality and choice.

My only complaint would be that when i booked, i chose a room in the original old building and we ended up in the new hotel building. For me this wasn't a big deal as the room we were given was lovely anyway, perhaps this needs to be noted on the booking confirmation?

Overall, i think this is a lovely hotel in Cambridge and i would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 164Bluebell94

How lovely to hear that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay. Cleanliness is something that we are fastidious about and our Housekeeper certainly sets high standards. It's interesting that you commented on the wallpaper in the rooms, which is hand-printed and some of our rooms have feature walls, each one which their own design. I am sorry that you did not stay in the room that you had requested. Normally when a guest requests a specific room type, this is booked into our system. It may have been that the receptionist who booked you in kindly gave you a complimentary room upgrade without realising. I do apologise.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel but service lets it down. Breakfast was hit and miss. Not great offer and my full English when it finally arrived was cold. The next morning we had breakfast in bed and got half the amount we got the morning before, maybe that was penance for being lazy !!
Dinner was lovely however and the reception staff were great. Very noisy room near the road considering I paid for a superior room at a very high cost and didn't even get free bottled water in the room which is like being back in the arc. Get some better breakfast staff and some complimentary water please!!

• Stayed: October 2013

I am sorry to read your review and to hear that the service that we provided during your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Customer service is something which receives more positive reviews than negative and I am surprised to read your comments. I apologise if your breakfast was cold. Did you mention this to your server in order to enable us to put things right? With regard to portion sizes, they should be exactly the same, irrespective of whether you eat in the restaurant or order room service. With regard to your room being next to a noisy road, the hotel is set back quite considerably from the main road into Cambridge and the level of noise at night is minimal bar taxis dropping off guests at the hotel.