“Warm and friendly”

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are lovely and the atmosphere created by the staff is warm. If you are coming to Cambridge by car it's a good bet as its almost impossible to park in the town. The film/food deal is good for the evening and the beds are comfy. The Hotel us generally quiet at night so you can get a decent night's sleep. Good value for Cambridge.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Anne B
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and thank you for your lovely comments. I couldn't agree more with you regarding parking. Hotel Felix is a five minute drive from the city centre. We offer our guests free parking, so it's much easier to catch a bus or taxi into town . As you say, often difficult to park and expensive too.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in August. Whilst we were pleasantly surprised with the overall quality of the room, we can't help but feel slightly let down by the standard of the amenities and service.

The room was a decent size, clean and modern. However, we were less than satisfied with the location of the room itself, as we were situated by a busy driveway that taxis and delivery vans use on a regular basis. There was no wifi and poor cellular signal, and even after asking a member of staff for assistance, the problem was not resolved during our stay. The bathroom was decent, but lacked hot water for the bath during all times of the day. There were also very few towel rails or hooks.

We both had a cooked breakfast on our first morning, and whilst the quality of the ingredients were good, they were certainly not plentiful. Another guest ordered the same and had noticeably more on their plate, which didn't seem fair. We found the service to be attentive and polite. Our food arrived in a timely manner too.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, but the hotel is let down by a lack of consistency across the rooms and guests.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, but I am so sorry to hear that you feel let down by the standard of our amenities and service. We offer WiFi to all of our guests and provide a login code to access it upon check-in. Were you given this I wonder? Unfortunately, there is nothing that the hotel could have done to improve your mobile signal. This is the responsibility of your service provider.

I am sorry to hear that you had no hotel water at all for two days. I have checked with our Head Housekeeper and she has received no complaints from any guests who have not had hot water. I fail to understand the issue that you have about the lack of towel rails and hooks in the bathrooms. On the back of each bathroom door are hooks on which our bathrobes hang. All of the towels in each bathroom are neatly placed on a heated multi-rail hanger.

With regard to your cooked breakfast, I am sorry to hear that the portions served to you were smaller than the other guests eating in the restaurant. This certainly should not have been the case.

I am concerned by the issues that you have raised and wonder if you reported any of them to the Duty Manager during your stay? If you were to have done, we could have rectified each one immediately, thus ensuring that you had an enjoyable stay. This is something that we strongly recommend to all of our guests.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

very nice room but NO AIR CONDITIONING!!! This resulted in a very uncomfortable night. There was a fan in the room but for a four star? Really?? Also service was VERY slow in restaurant although food was good. Reservation for eight o clock and starter did not appear until nine. I also requested extra jus for main course twice and it never arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for one with air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am so sorry that you did not have air conditioning in your room and apologise for the fact that you had an uncomfortable night. At the beginning of this year, we installed air conditioning in our function rooms and in the bedrooms within the older part of the hotel. It is our intention to install air conditioning in the remainder of our bedrooms at the beginning of 2014. I also apologise profusely for the service in Graffiti Restaurant and for the fact that extra jus was not served to you. This does not reflect the usual levels to which we operate. I do hope that you raised both issues whilst you were at the hotel, providing us with the opportunity to put things right?
Waltham Abbey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Pleased with the accommodation. The evening food was pricey for what it was. Breakfast ok but nothing special. We had a travel zoo deal so it was not bad value but I wouldn't pay the full price for this accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor and I note that you have also posted a review on our Graffiti Restaurant profile. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the boutique four star Hotel Felix, but I am sorry to hear that you do not feel that we offer good value. Our customers are usually discerning and appreciate the high quality accommodation and food that we offer and are not shy of paying the prices that reflect this.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Popped into Hotel Felix this weekend for a coffee with my family. We were ushered into the Orangery where all the tables still had remnants of dirty breakfast plates and coffee cups, we actually had to clear a table to sit down. The male member of staff who served us was less than interested in us or helping with options for my children. We ordered brownies and biscuits with coffee which did not arrive until we had all finished drinks and then were charged £12 for them!! I spend a lot of time in hotels all over the world where service is exemplary, staff are attentive and made to feel welcome. Iam really disappointed that my closest luxury hotel doesnt offer the same standards or value. Wont be going back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I was very sorry indeed to read your recent review on Tripadvisor. Last weekend, the hotel was full and the majority of our guests came down to breakfast at the same time. Some of them chose to eat in the Orangery, as opposed to Graffiti Restaurant, which would normally have been clean and tidy at this time since it would not have been used. I do apologise that you had to wait for your brownies and biscuits and for the attitude of your server. I can honestly say that many, many of our guests have commented on the exemplary, professional, friendly, courteous and attentive service that we offer to our guests. Sadly, on this occasion, we failed to deliver and I apologise profusely.
Bath
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Better than a B&B and much nicer than a Travelodge/HolidayInn. Room a good size, bathroom likewise. Nice touches included fresh coffee and fresh milk in the room (points for that one), but no biscuits to go with the tea/coffee after 4 hr drive was a bit disappointing, especially when much cheaper accommodation has this 'basic' as standard these days. Bedlinen was lovely cotton, duvet felt like feathers and the bed itself was really comfortable. Breakfast was a good spread but service wasn't amazing, friendly enough, but we were put into a side room which felt a bit forgotten as they were overwhelmed by the volume of guests eating at the same time. Rooms felt clean, but you can see that parts of the decor are a bit tired. Wall art in the common areas was surprisingly original and interesting. Bar area had one really healthy plant and one very dead plant...almost next to each other...surely the dead one should have been removed before it got that bad? Hotel is a mix of an old and beautiful building and new modern boxy bits bolted on. It was satisfactory but a bit soulless. Parking was ample, people friendly and it's very much on the outskirts of Cambridge so not a 'stroll' into town. Overall it was pleasant but not amazing. A safe bet for a stop-over but felt overpriced...feels like it's trying to be a bit 'boutiquey' but falling short...

Room Tip: Rooms along the driveway are noisy with cars/taxis heading to reception.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you appreciated the fresh coffee and milk in your room, but I am very sorry that on this occasion, our hand-made biscuits were not included. This was very remiss on our part and I do apologise. It is interesting to note the number of guests who have commented recently on our art collection. We are particularly enamoured with the new additions by Chris Wood and Mary-Clare Cornwallis which hang in the Reception area and the Gallery. This is an aspect of the hotel which distinguishes Hotel Felix as a privately-owned hotel. With regard to the dying Passion Flower plant in The Orangery, it was actually recovering following some recent TLC, but sadly lost its battle to live and has gone to plant heaven. What a shame, since the flowers are beautiful and delicately scented. Whilst I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sorry that you feel that we are not amazing. We do try very hard to please our customers.
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here when visiting the university open day. I had pre-booked a twin room for my daughter and I and then, at the last minute, our plans changed and we needed a third bed for a friend to join us. The hotel were very accommodating and although they didn't have a spare bed available they were happy for us to use our own aerobed, with a small charge for bedding.
The room was tastefully decorated and the bathroom was modern with a good shower. The public areas are modern and there is some super art work around.
We arrived late morning and parked the car prior to getting a taxi into the city. It is feasible to walk into the city but it is a considerable distance, more so to the railway station which is on the opposite side of town.
We opted to have dinner in the hotel at 8.30pm. There appeared to be a serious lack of staff. Three in total; to run the bar and busy restaurant. The menu is excellent but limited and we were disappointed that two of our initial choices weren't available. Owing to the lack of staff, although we went into the bar at 8pm and made our menu selections, it was 9.30pm before we were seated in the restaurant, too late for us in all honesty. However, the food was excellent, if not a little pricey.
Breakfast was good quality but again, rather short staffed.
I would stay here again and recommend it but would advise the management to increase the staff/guest ratio!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Hotel Felix following your recent visit to Cambridge. I am glad that we were able to assist you with your requirements. It's lovely to hear that you appreciated our collection of contemporary art. We have some very interesting works don't we? With regard to the number of staff on duty, this is usually adequate at that time of the evening. However, from time to time, guests come down for dinner, who despite being asked by our receptionists, have chosen not to pre-book a table. Graffiti is an award-winning, fine dining AA two rosette restaurant and the prices that we charge reflect this. The food that we serve is freshly cooked to order, using the very best ingredients, by a highly experienced chef and I am delighted that you thought it excellent. Thank you so much.