“relaxed, luxurious and very english”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed April 8, 2013

if you want a relaxing stay in a well appointed hotel, with excellent service from knowledgable, friendly and very professional staff, this is a good place to start. it is a Victorian manor house on the outskirts of Cambridge, sympathecially enlarged and in quiet grounds. The beds were very comfortable and the hotel itself, very peaceful. The restaurant is known locally to be several notches above average, and it doesn't disappoint (though the afternoon tea is less impressive than other meals). Some things might niggle others which didn't bother me: the tv reception isn't great (though much better on the additional tv in my bathroom..) , the choice of veggie options for room service was limited (though they were very helpful about ordering in from another restaurant), and it isn't in walking distance for city centre attractions. However, if you want to forget the outside world for a couple of days, relax and be well taken care of, this is not a bad place to choose,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. Great to know that you had such a relaxing stay. We don't generally get negative feedback about the reception of our televisions, but I have asked our General Manager to raise the point that you have made with the external company which manages the hotel's communication systems. I have also mentioned your comment about vegetarian options on our Room Service Menu with Chef.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed April 5, 2013

stayed at the felix for 2 nights ,room very comfortable and clean ,dined in the restaurant on the first night ,food excellant, service could not be faulted.The only downside is that cambridge center is a little to far away to walk.Overall would recommend,hotel has a nice relaxed vibe.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank selkybaby

Thank you for choosing to Hotel Felix for your recent stay in Cambridge. I'm glad to know that you had such a lovely time and enjoyed the Felix hospitality. The hotel is a 30 minute walk from the centre of Cambridge, however a bus or taxi ride into town takes just 5 minutes.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nice hotel. This is not an english manor style place (only one side of the building looks that way, which is what most of the pictures show), it is a modern hotel. Nice walkable distance to the city. Good service. Food was fine but not mind blowing. Great City Escape offer - got an upgraded room, free bottle of wine, and voucher towards dinner. No complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jmax0000

Many thanks for your feedback. Hotel Felix is a beautiful Victorian villa, where the majority of the bedrooms are contained in two modern annexes. These were added to the main building when it was converted into a hotel just over ten years ago. Four bedrooms are situated in the older part of the hotel. I'm so sorry that you didn't appreciate the food that we serve in our award-winning restaurant and I am unsure as to why it wasn't up to its usual high standard. However, I am glad that you enjoyed your complimentary bottle of wine and voucher forwards dinner. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Fine hotel let down by the restaurant, Graffiti. Food was fine but the service was borderline-line inept with almost every interaction disappointing, and then finally, irritating, in some way. A hotel of Felix's aspirations should do way with the part-time students and hire some professionals.

1  Thank zimscotoz

Many thanks for your recent review. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your recent experience in Graffiti Restaurant. We generally receive very good feedback from our guests and more often than not, this realtes to the slick and friendly service which our restaurant staff, and in fact the entire hotel staff, offer to our guests. Indeed we have a couple of placement hospitality students working with us, both of whom are intelligent, charming and very willing to please. I have mentioned your comments to our Restaurant Manager, who will discuss this matter with his team.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Husband uses this hotel for business but this time the family stayed over (2 adults, 3 children under 8). Absolutely beautiful hotel, immaculately clean rooms and very helpful staff. The room was very spacious and the children were impressed with the TV in the bathroom! However, I feel this hotel is more suited to couples and business travellers, it was slightly lacking in charm for us. Breakfast was lovely but lacking in choice and there wasn't a children's menu. Also, our sleep was disturbed by a heating/air con system that kept turning on and off in the night. We didn't complain as we had the children with us. The hotel is about 2 miles outside the centre but very easy to get to.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with your husband and children. Hotel Felix does tend to have corporate travellers and couples amongst its main guests, however we are always delighted when we do have children to stay. It offers a safe haven and is situated away from the main road, five minutes' drive from the city centre. We do not offer a specific children's menu for breakfast since we can simply provide smaller portions of the different options that we offer to adults.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in February while on business.

I happened to get quite sick while here (food poisoning - clearly happened before I got to the hotel, so nothing to do with them) and I was fortunate that the room was so comfortable and the service so good.

The hotel is about 2 mi. north of the downtown area (to me, a pleasant walk) and it has grounds and therefore quiet. Service was very good and attentive and room service sustained me while I wasn't feeling well. The room furnishings were contemporary with a large screen TV and good range of viewing channels.

Once I felt better, I found food in the restaurant to be quite excellent. I'd recommend this heartily.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

I am so sorry that due to illness you were unable to fully enjoy the hospitality at Hotel Felix. However, I am glad that your stay with us was comfortable and that once you had recovered, you could enjoy the temptations of our mouthwatering menu!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in the Felix on numerous occasions and always enjoyed the experience. This recent visit was an overnight business trip and was marred by dreadful service in the restaurant. When we reserved a table, we were informed that it would have to be at 7·30, but sadly our order was not taken for almost an hour, and it took nearly the same length of time to be served. This was just not acceptable. I was dining with colleagues, one of whom was a vegetarian. He inquired as to whether or not Chef could prepare a simple vegetarian pasta dish for him and was told that he could. When it arrived, it was garnished with 3 large pieces of fish! As he had waited so long for his meal, he chose not to wait for another meal to be prepared. Apart from the dining experience, which was not up to the usual standard, my stay was pleasant enough. The bedrooms are spotless and beautifully presented, although some firmer pillows would be nice, a sentiment echoed by several of my colleagues. I won`t let this stop me from staying here again, but it had better be back on top
form next time.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Aveedee

Many thanks for feeding back following your recent stay at Hotel Felix. I am so sorry that the slow service in the restaurant marred what was apparently an enjoyable stay. I have checked with our Restaurant Manager and it seems that, unfortunately, the restaurant was very busy that evening. However, this is no excuse for the wait that you had to endure and the delivery of a vegetarian dish served with fish, for which I apologise.

With regard to pillows, we do stock a supply of firmer pillows which we are able to give to guests when they ask for them. I am sorry if this was not made clear to you.

I do hope that you will come and stay again and that you will once again experience our high levels of hospitality.