“Great pub grub”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is a fantastic old English country pub at its best. If you want something fancy eat at a restraunt. This has good wholesome pub grub with a good selection ales and a traditional country pub atmosphere.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I called to reserve a table for two and on the other line was a rather surprised voiced when hearing the word "reserve". He still acknowledged my request. When we arrived, we told him that we reserved a table. He replied "you can choose any where you want to sit". The pub had 3 tables occupied then but luckily there were some more customers who came in later. I would like to think that the guys who were talking with the "owner" were locals as they seem to know each other or maybe regulars. I would also like to think that the people who runs it want you to "feel at home" as they are friendly. I ordered fish and chips and as usual I swapped chips to salad. Meal and service was fairly good. I was impressed by the regular coke I had as it was only a pound!

Driving back is not really a good idea because of the limited choices on the menu but also understandable as it is located in a small village. It is good if you happen to be in the area and you wanted a place to dine in. We travelled 22 miles to be in the village.

Trip and meal was "charged to experience".

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Decided to take a 20 minute drive out of Cambridge to see what all the fuss was about with this place.

When I arrived the place looked quiet. All the doors were open and it was summer so it was full of flies. It was much smaller than I expected, only about 7 dining tables and a few other tables which were mainly for drinkers. The bar is situated right in the middle of the restaurant with drinkers chatting and drinking there, so the dining area is not separated from the bar at all.

We had booked a table, but when we arrived were told to sit where we wanted and nobody asked if we had made a reservation. Again, alarm bells began to ring when we given the menu and the choice was extremely limited, with all old fashioned pub grub and the only thing differing was a few steaks.

I had had enough stead recently so I opted for the home made steak and ale pie. Had a glass of the real ale too which was tasty

Service was pretty good, its a husband and wife establishment and the husband works at the bar and the wife serves the food.

Food arrived at a decent time and was fairly tasty. The main reasons this only gets 3 stars are that

1. Lots of flies in the place because the doors were all open and thus it felt like you were in a barn
2. Menu is really limited, just the usual fish and chips and chilli con carne, etc.
3. Very few tables and does feel like a restaurant or a gastro pub, feels like a pub with different tables.

This place is not really work venturing a long way for and certainly not with the 5 stars many people have given it. Another good point, the prices are reasonable, but as the food is not really special I guess its par for the course.

LordHumpo, Owner at The Poacher, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thanks for the review. We do not claim to be or have plans to become a gastropub, we are a small friendly local pub offering good value home cooked traditional pub food, which you noted in your review. As the pub is grade II listed we are unable to alter the layout so the dining area will always be part of the bar/drinking area. It is quite usual for us to be quiet early in the week when you dined hence we knew you were the only booking and felt offering you the choice of any seat was courteous. We do have the doors open in the summer so there may be a few insects around we are in the country after all, if you had mentioned this when asked if everything was OK we would have closed the doors for you and done our best to clear the flies. Thanks for the review and the chance to respond, as we don't advertise we would be interested to know "what all the fuss is about".
Regards Neil & Caroline.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Tasty food. lovely pub. highly recommend a visit. Family friendly and a delightful garden to sit in the sun.

1  Thank Rosepetal0606
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wonderful old village pub. Food is excellent, a really good pint.
Landlord and landlady are great fun as are the rest of the staff.
I am sure we will visit often.

Chris C