“Not what I was expecting...”

Cambridge Corn Exchange
Ranked #52 of 167 things to do in Cambridge
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I visited the Cambridge Corn Exchange on 1st February 2014 to see 'London Grammar' in concert. This was our first visit to the Venue, although we are regular visitors to Cambridge.

First impressions were good, although we had to queue, (not unexpectedly) we moved along very quickly and were soon shown to our seats, which had a good view of the stage and were comfortable. The support act were good, and certainly tested the venues sound system, which was excellent. So, all things considered a good start, from here however it all went downhill....

We had noticed during the support act that there were a lot of people getting up from their seats, and then returning with drinks which they had obviously got from the venues bar. Whilst this was annoying we expected it to cease once the main act took to the stage, unfortunately it didn't, it simply got worse. Constantly having your view interrupted, and having to watch people 'fall' up the stairs in the darkness was particularly irritating. This process continued throughout the performance. Should we have been watching a play or a film rather than a live band then we would have felt compelled to leave and seek a full refund.

Upon our return home we emailed the venue to complain and seek their views, however some 5 weeks later, and having sent a further email, we have still received no response from the venue.

So to sum up, London Grammar 10/10, Venue 4/10, Venue Customer Service 0/10. Not a venue we will be visiting again I'm afraid, which is a pity as we actually liked the venue itself....

2  Thank NorthamptonRicho
There are newer reviews for Cambridge Corn Exchange

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Aussie Floyd is incredible. What a band!!

But I am not sure I would want to see them again at this Venue.

I am a self confessed Aussie Floyd fanatic, so I was prepared to go to the expense of paying for VIP (Gold/Platinum) seats to really enjoy the experience. NOT a good idea.

To start with, there are no seats in the area in front of the stage, standing room only. So if you want to sit down & want VIP tickets, you are forced into the upper balcony.

Having called the Box Office, I was unable to buy VIP tickets directly (Grrr!). So I searched the internet. The choice was only TicketMaster with a premium price (£75 each, service charge £15.00, Processing fee £2.30), and NO choice of where you could sit. (These 4 seats only available, no matter how often you refresh their webpage)

It wasn't worth it

As should be evident from the photos of the inside of the theatre above (and unlike practically every cinema & theatre in the country now), Cambridge Corn Exchange don't stagger/off-set the seating. Each seat is lined up directly behind the one in front no matter where you sit. And the pitch of the balcony only has you a few millimeters above the seat directly in front of you.

So, needless to say, I had the head of the guy in front squarely in my field of view, right in front of centre stage.

It was the same for everyone seated in the balcony, VIP or not (unless you were lucky enough to be seated in the front row)

It was a thoroughly MISERABLE experience having to constantly dodge from one side of his head to the other, depending upon whether this guy was leaning left to shout at his girlfriend, bouncing around with the music or leaning right to get a better view of the lead guitarist doing one of their superb solos.

Now please don't get me wrong. This band is amazing. The key player's (Steve Mac & Jason Sawford) attention to detail to be as loyal to the original Pink Floyd music is a true credit to the band. The vocals (esp Colin Wilson) are excellent, guitarist David Fowler's skill really is a joy to listen to. And the light show (what I could see of it) was incredible!

However the experience was ruined by the Management of this Venue

There are better places to see this band within driveable range (Southend, Ipswich, The O2, London, Oxford), and its worth travelling the extra miles just to get a decent seat with a DECENT view. Having standing room only in the stalls, and not having off-set seating in a low pitch balcony is pure greed on behalf of the Venue to maximise their revenue/profit per square foot. They would be better off charging a bit more per ticket, put seating in throughout the venue (like Southend), and inviting Aussie Floyd to play two nights in a row instead of just the one night.

This band it so good, they would undoubtly sell out both nights (as it was Feb 27th)

No doubt they will tell you there is some structural or "Health & Safety" reason why this is so. However if they were to remove one seat every other row and off-set the seating, the problem (in the balcony at least) would be solved.

Favorite part of the show? When the guy in front of me went to the gents and I could AT LAST see what I had paid so much to enjoy. It lasted for 5 minutes....

NOT happy

6  Thank Level390
Reviewed February 20, 2014

First time we have been the the Cambridge Corn Exchange and we were not disappointed. Tickets and seating views all very easy to complete online.
We had a lovely pre-theatre dinner at Jamie's Italian just over the road and walked straight into the corn exchange about 5 minutes before the show. Also the parking is very close to the venue, there is a charge for parking in the council multi-storey car park but this is reduced in the evening after 5pm. (Total £5.00)
Russell Kane's warm-up act was ok, but Russell Kane was amazing in his presentation and style.
We had loads of laughs throughout the show and have already booked to go back again in April for a mid-week show with Sarah Millican.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Went with my family to watch Steve Hackett in Nov 13. Always been a huge fan of Genesis and Hackett. I haven't been to the Corn Exchange before but was struck by the intimacy of the small venue. We were only 4 rows away from the front and my two kids managed to push through to the front to get a perfect view! They were entranced the whole way through. I would certainly book a concert or other show at the Corn Exchange again. Parking was easy nearby but we did struggle to get food at nearby restaurants as one or two (bizarrely) didn't serve Children.

1  Thank Chris D
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went to see harry hills sausage time! My god we werent dissapointed, he has a huge one. Venue great and made even better as I was there.

Recommended a visit, some top acts are playing there this year.