“Excellent Location, Hearty Breakfast, Affordable Room Rate”

Victoria Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Location: Once you orient yourself to the Cambridge city layout, you quickly discover that Victoria is a mere 2 mile walk to the city center, where all the colleges and shops are located. Alternatively, several bus routes stop at Arbury/Milton and at the bottom of Union Lane (#2), and both of these stops are within 10 minutes' walk to and from the B&B. This is important because I was able to travel to and from, and around Cambridge and beyond without ever seeing the inside of a taxi cab. Even with luggage and backpack, it was convenient to take the bus from the rail station and connect through the bus depot to the 2nd bus that stops at Arbury/Milton bus stop. Same for returning to the rail station on my departure for London. The centrality of their location and the vast network of buses that service Cambridge makes a taxi ride almost unnecessary for everyone.

Arbury Road: It is a busy, 2-lane/2-way, primarily residential street, filled with semi-detached and row houses. Traffic primarily consists of hell-bent bicyclists and nimble sub-compact cars...basically this is all the volume that Arbury Road can handle without bringing traffic to a stand-still. Still, I've always felt safe walking up and down the street as there is ample room on either side for pedestrians and the neighborhood itself simply struck me as safe, even when during my late night arrivals from the city center. Within .5 mile going either direction of Arbury Road are small grocery stores: Bugens and Co-Op, where I enjoyed "playing local" to shop for sundry items.

The Inn: It was very easy to spot, even on my arrival. Homey, quiet, and warm (temperature-wise), it provided a welcome ambiance.

The Room: Mine was on the ground floor #7. I booked for a double bed, which was what I got. The room was barely big enough to contain the bed, so walking/moving space was tight. So yes, the room is COMPACT. Amenities-wise, it had the standard coffee/tea/sugar/cups and saucer, plus cookies (!) which were replenished if you eat them. It was the perfect late-evening snack while watching TV, which is mounted into the wall (so as not to occupy addtl space). Just opposite the door is a short bar to hang clothes from, excluding heavy outer jackets, which would occupy nearly the entire space. The radiator heater provided soft, warmth but without the drying effect of a forced-air furnace (that we use in the U.S.). There is a small table beside the bed which I used to hold my 22" luggage and loose items. My window overlooks the side yard and part of the garden beyond, so it was really wonderful that I was able to see greenery and flora anytime I was in my room. Diaphanous curtains for daytime lent soft ambient lighting and blackout curtains for nighttime pitch-black darkness. The old-fashioned, "ancient" key to my bedroom door took skill to master: to get it into the "cavernous" hole then turn the key to unlock at exactly the correct position. I like this nod to earlier times; it tells me that people in earlier times clearly were not as time-strapped as today's traveler who requires instant lock/unlock response from either manual or electronic key (gasp!).

The Bathroom: Even more compact than the bedroom. It struck me as a clothes closet that has been repurposed to serve the function of an en-suite toilet and shower. Actually, its dimensions fit that of a closet exactly. But being a petite person, it wasn't so much of a deal-breaker for me....I just needed to get accustomed to it the first night, having just arrived from Los Angeles. They provided shampoo, lotion, and hand washing gel in regular sizes (not those 1 oz sample sizes). Using regular size toiletries gave more of a feeling that I was at home :=) Bring your own face towel (flannel), as they do not provide this.

The Dining Room: There were ample number of tables in various seating arrangements for everyone, and they were well spaced, so that we were not walking on top of one another during breakfast.

The Breakfast: ENORMOUS. Thick bacon slices, huge sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, 4 slices of toast.....this is full English breakfast at its best! This on top of the cereals, fruits, and yogurt available from the buffet sideboard. For drinks: juices and your choice of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. HANDS DOWN, Victoria B&B's breakfasts were the BEST that I've eaten, during my visit to the UK, staying at various B&B's. Two thumbs up!!!

The Innkeeper: Emma is simply THE BEST. Always giving me recommendations....I got to visit Ely on her suggestion :=) Emma is very knowledgeable about the local scene, and enthusiastically shared these with me. Everyday, we got together and shared tidbits....that was always a joy.

Room Tip: Room facing the garden. Emma keeps a beautiful home garden, complete with a greenhouse.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LGBATMAZ

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This B&B was wonderful. clean, well designed, great food, the landlady was so welcoming.. we went for our 20th wedding anniversary and they were charming and gave us a huge box of thorntons chocs. The room was large with a beautiful brass victorian bed, an ensuite with a hot shower, lots of fluffy towels and lovely teas. 20 mins walk into central cambridge or much less if you hire a bike - which we reccomend..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Victoria B&B. The room was ok, quiet, with all facilities but without being really charming. However, the location enabled us to walk to the center of Cambridge in 30 minutes and the breakfasts were good. To conclude, this B&B is a good trade-off if you want to stay in Cambridge but you must not expect something outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank carrierpigeon31
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were a group of twelve ladies, staying in Victoia B&B for four nights - Cykling around Cambridge and nearby towns.
It was just great! The breakfast was splendid, the rooms were clean, bathrooms very nice and the hosts were so friendly and service-minded! We'll recommend it to everyone we know!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kjersti N
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We booked a room here for one night on the strength of tripadvisor reviews. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed, though a little cramped. The bed was divinely comfortable. The breakfast was the best we have ever had in a B and B - beautifully cooked hot food and delicious fruit salad, yoghurt etc, which really made it for me, as this is what I like most for breakfast! The coffee was delicious and I was offered another cafetiere when I had finished. I did think the room was just slightly on the pricey side, but this is Cambridge! We only used the room to sleep in as visiting friends. The couple who run it, as everyone says are delightful. The room had a drier, a good choice of tea and coffee etc, a good powerful shower (though it did suddenly go cold several times, leaving me shrieking!), good TV etc. I really enjoyed our brief stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing onto the road as the road is very busy
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank azure983
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I accompanied my eldest daughter to study in Bellerbys college in Arbury, Cambridge in 2009. It was a short walking distance to the college. In 20I0 my second daughter came to Cambridge and study in a college near city center. I came back for Victoria B&B again even when the distance is a bit far.
We enjoy Emma & Duncan hospitality. In the first visit, We were greeted by Duncan and were assisted to the room. It was exactly the same with the picture we saw when we made the booking. I got a nicely decorated room, clean, comfortable bed, choices of hot chocolate, coffee, tea and biscuits, hairdryer, magazines, leaflets. I like their toileteries in their bathroom and not forgetting the free wifi.
The breakfast was cooked by the couple. Their English breakfast was excellent. You could choose vegetarian if you wanted to or you can just simply chose your cereal, muesli or oats and enjoy it with choices of yoghurt or coffee, tea or milk even juices or fruits. To complete our breakfast, we ordered hot chocolate drink. It were later served by lovely Emma who smile and said: "Hi, here you are...your Hug in a Mug..enjoy your breakfast, hope you like it"
It was unforgetable. I will certainly come back again should I come to Cambridge.
Miss u much....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lusmi l
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Surely among the top 3 b&b's in Cambridge!
Lovely rooms, perfectly clean; breakfasts you will miss; top landlords. I can't honestly think of anything more I may want in a b&b.
Only drawback is it's about 30mins on foot from the city center, but if you don't mind walking (and there are 2 lines of buses calling within 200m anyway) this is the place you're looking for.

• Stayed: December 2011