“Lovely breakfast!”

Ranked #13 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely breakfast!”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We booked a room here for one night on the strength of tripadvisor reviews. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed, though a little cramped. The bed was divinely comfortable. The breakfast was the best we have ever had in a B and B - beautifully cooked hot food and delicious fruit salad, yoghurt etc, which really made it for me, as this is what I like most for breakfast! The coffee was delicious and I was offered another cafetiere when I had finished. I did think the room was just slightly on the pricey side, but this is Cambridge! We only used the room to sleep in as visiting friends. The couple who run it, as everyone says are delightful. The room had a drier, a good choice of tea and coffee etc, a good powerful shower (though it did suddenly go cold several times, leaving me shrieking!), good TV etc. I really enjoyed our brief stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing onto the road as the road is very busy
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank azure983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I accompanied my eldest daughter to study in Bellerbys college in Arbury, Cambridge in 2009. It was a short walking distance to the college. In 20I0 my second daughter came to Cambridge and study in a college near city center. I came back for Victoria B&B again even when the distance is a bit far.
We enjoy Emma & Duncan hospitality. In the first visit, We were greeted by Duncan and were assisted to the room. It was exactly the same with the picture we saw when we made the booking. I got a nicely decorated room, clean, comfortable bed, choices of hot chocolate, coffee, tea and biscuits, hairdryer, magazines, leaflets. I like their toileteries in their bathroom and not forgetting the free wifi.
The breakfast was cooked by the couple. Their English breakfast was excellent. You could choose vegetarian if you wanted to or you can just simply chose your cereal, muesli or oats and enjoy it with choices of yoghurt or coffee, tea or milk even juices or fruits. To complete our breakfast, we ordered hot chocolate drink. It were later served by lovely Emma who smile and said: "Hi, here you are...your Hug in a Mug..enjoy your breakfast, hope you like it"
It was unforgetable. I will certainly come back again should I come to Cambridge.
Miss u much....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lusmi l
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Surely among the top 3 b&b's in Cambridge!
Lovely rooms, perfectly clean; breakfasts you will miss; top landlords. I can't honestly think of anything more I may want in a b&b.
Only drawback is it's about 30mins on foot from the city center, but if you don't mind walking (and there are 2 lines of buses calling within 200m anyway) this is the place you're looking for.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank MaRu1973
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed here with our large family and the host couple were very hospitable and accomodating even with our young ones.Being it was the winter season,the hot water any time of day was good to have.The rooms are clean with comfortable beds.The best was the breakfast with a good variety of eateries..would stay here again.Oh,and not forgetting the free wifi internet!...would do it again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
westcliff on sea, essex
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a two night 'Christmas' shopping trip to Cambridge and we stayed in Room 8 @ £80 a night.

Email communication had been excellent on the run up to the visit and Emma & Duncan had been happy for us to turn up late morning rather than the mid afternoon times normally dictated by most other B&Bs. On arrival, Emma made us feel most welcome and sat us down with maps, info, papers, tea & mince pies whilst our room was being cleaned. Shortly after arrival we were allowed into our room. I must be honest and admit that we were rather disappointed at the size of the room and the ensuite. The online photo had, as often they do, made the room look rather more sizeable than it was. Instead of a wardrobe there was an open hanging space, which whilst not ideal, was the only option due to the size of the room. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were very insubstantial and mishaped but Emma was only too happy to provide a further two on request. The room appeared very clean, but I must point out there were cobwebs on the ceiling and a tired vase of imitation flowers in the fireplace. A hairdryer was located in one of the drawers and a very good choice of hot drinks were supplied. The TV had a great reception and the free WiFi was a bonus too. The ensuite was very cramped - nowhere to put toiletries, a towel rail squeezed in beside the loo and a shower cubicle, whose shower head had been repaired by adding a screw to prevent it dropping! It was however very clean. The room is on the ground floor and had secondary double glazing, with the exception of one window to allow it to open for ventilation. The road noise did not disturb sleep however. I would comment that the greasy cooking smells from the kitchen drifted into the room and were not too welcome first thing in the morning.

The breakfast was excellent, plentiful and with impeccable service.

The walk into Cambridge took around 20mins and saved the extortionate prices of parking in the centre. It was a very straight forward stroll and a good way to burn off the breakfast.

Both Emma and Duncan were really lovely hosts, making time for small talk and advice.

We did think that £80 for our room was on the pricey side, having stayed at many B&Bs in our time and perhaps not quite what we would expect from a 4 star accommodation. That said, Cambridge is an expensive area to stay and we had a super weekend overall.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie M
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We rented one of Emma & Duncan's apartments adjacent to the guest house & it was the perfect self-service get away. The apartment was spotlessly clean, beautifully appointed with all of the conveniences we needed & even stocked with a few basic groceries to get us by until we could get to the market. It was convenient to walk to the market, butcher & grocer. Emma & Duncan were helpful & friendly. We will definitely use this apartment should we find ourselves in Cambridge again. About a 20-30 minute easy, safe walk into the heart of the action near Cambridge University. No problem if you like to walk or ride a bike.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom apartment is perfect for those who want to make a home away from home. Wou...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Hi,

My name is Anu and I stayed at Victoria House about a week ago. This place is amazing. The owners Emma and Duncan are extremely cordial and friendly. The rooms are very neat and tidy and are furnished quite well. Above all, the rooms were very clean and cosy. Breakfast is an absolute delight. Delicious home made english breakfast with a choice of vegetarian and continental options as well. This certainly has been the best bed and breakfast place Ive ever been to. Not one bit like the usual ones that have cheap looking rooms and cheap stuff in them. I would surely recommend this place to anyone visiting Cambridge. Victoria House is about 10 mins by bus to the city centre.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo