“Enjoyable Conference and Business stay”
Review of Sorrento Hotel

Sorrento Hotel
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I travelled to Cambridge for a two day conference, staying in the hotel for one night between the days.

I didn't get to see much of Cambridge unfortunately, however I enjoyed my brief time passing through.

My colleagues were pleased with the conferencing facilities. Nice big room with plenty of tea, coffee, snacks and staff on hand, who were very helpful with any of our requirements.
We were happily supplied a projector, board and had the room sectioned off for us all day.

As we were tired from the trip, work and needed to be up the next day to do it all again, we stayed and ate in the restaurant instead of going into town. Being an Italian hotel, we mostly opted for pasta dishes, which were generously portioned and tasty.

I'd reccomend the hotel, conferencing facilities and Cambridge itself, from what I saw of it. I shall have to return one day and visit in full.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gordon T

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have needed to stay in Cambridge on innumerable occasions during the past 4 years to attend Addenbrooke's hospital as an In -Patient and Out-Patient. Thankfully we found the Sorrento Hotel! This friendly hotel owned and run by a charming italian family, well supported by their long-serving helpful staff has made these otherwise difficult visits so much more pleasurable. Nothing has been too much trouble, from cooking me special food when I couldn't chew after surgery, to caring for my husband when I was in hospital.
The food is excellent. We can never understand why more guests do not stay in and enjoy the superb Italian dinners. For breakfast, there is ample choice and the eggs and bacon are of the highest quality and perfectly cooked.
The rooms, furnished in Italian style, are scrupulously clean as is everywhere in the hotel. The beds very comfortable with crisply laundered sheets.
The hotel is ideally situated on Addenbrooke's side of town, yet a bus stops almost outside to take you into the city. Good sized car park also always appreciated.
An excellent, good value hotel - the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast option is particularly good value.
Plus Addenbrooke's patients receive a discount!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JChelt
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I came to Cambridge for a short break to visit some family. I stayed at the Sorrento Hotel through family reccomendation, because it was very close to my relatives home and had easy links for us to the city centre.
Upon arrival, the staff were pleasant and welcoming. Having only paid for a single room, I was actually upgraded to a double when checked in.
I stayed in a nice, fresh room, which looked to be newly decorated and had all neccesary amenities.
Breakfast was good, I had a full english before heading into Cambridge city centre.
We did have dinner in the restaurant one night, myself and the family. Good meal, decently priced with nice atmosphere and service.

Another plus was the free wifi, which most hotels usually charge for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sSamsStar
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a special 100th birthday celebration at the Sorrento, and the staff couldn't have done enough for us!!

The buffet was really great with lots of savouries and cakes on offer, and the layout was exceptional with the table and dance floor.

The drinks were a little hit and miss; the bottles of coke were flat, the wine was sometimes of a poor taste, whilst the stella was great in proper glasses, and the Carlsberg was odd tasting.

The staff were fantstic, and we all had a great time!

Just sort the bar out and a defo 5 out of 5!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheDevonDevil
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my company and i had never stayed at the sorrento before. I was happy with my room having a kingsize double bed and a large bath with free internet. i was also happy with the free car park and the restaurant which i Must say served great italian food. I would be happy to stay at the sorrento again. Family run and Staff really nice and well presented.

Room Tip: Give the restaurant a try
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Pino G
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked this hotel in advance as I had a meeting in Cambridge. I went with with my wife to make a weekend of it. I am glad I did as both the Sorrento and Cambridge are fantastic. I don't agree with some of the reviews as I had a nice modern room, great Italian food served with a smile. The staff really seem to care and were very helpful. I would very much like to return to Cambridge and I will without question sta at the Sorrento again. Just one thing Cambridge is expensive so be prepared for expensive drinks especially in the city.

Room Tip: ask for a large room or the deluxe for a treat
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Giovanni g
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We visited this hotel for a meal on the £10 meal deal from the CEN. As soon as we walked in from the car park we noticed how scuffy the entrance looked. It looked like a dumping ground for things.The restaurant was chilly and it also seemed to be a dumping ground for things including a BBQ in the corner. The decoration was dated and the ceiling tiles stained. Half the blinds in the conservatory were pulled up and half pulled down!!
The food was poor, not very hot, and not much of it. But worse was too come. The man behind the bar who should have been doing our bill, didn't seem to be fully awake and had got all the bills muddled up. After waiting for about 10 minutes,and asking the waitress twice we went to the bar ourselves and helped him sort out ours!!! A dated overpriced(if you pay full price, we didn't thank goodness) hotel. Obviously seen better days and still run by the same family. They need some new staff in to bring a bit of life it to and somee fresh ideas.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple