“This will be my last Sunday lunch visit!”
Review of The First and Last - CLOSED

The First and Last
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Previously The Cricketers
cambridge
“This will be my last Sunday lunch visit!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had been extremely impressed with Sunday lunch some months ago (we thought it was best in Cambridge at the time) so decided to visit with friend today. Having pre booked table for 1pm we were told that we would have to wait for roast dinner as the chef had arrived in late and the vegetables had not been prepared. When asked how long we would have to wait we were told not too long, vegetables were almost cooked! This did make me question how the pork and turkey had managed to be slow cooked? Some 45 mins later the food arrived, slopped on the plate. The turkey was of very poor quality, more fat than meat. The best part of the meal was the red cabbage! Service was not great either, staff did not seem at all bothered and seemed annoyed when we interrupted them eating their baguettes behind the bar when we arrived. The site of one of the kitchen staff walking through the bar with trousers halfway down his legs was enough to put anyone off their meal! If i ever visit again, it will not be for Sunday lunch!

• Visited November 2012

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Don't underestimate this place ...”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went here for a large family lunch, and couldn't have been happier with the service and the quality of the food, the variety of which was surprising. Everything was excellent value for money, beautifully cooked (the fish, in particular, was perfect) and delivered to our table with a smile. The staff were particularly accommodating of the small children with us, and couldn't have been more helpful. Service was fast and extremely accommodating. We will definitely be going back again soon.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank AlexCollis
Cambridge
“Thinks it is far better than it actually is.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I first went here quite some time ago and I remembered it as being a place worthy of a second visit, so a few months later my wife and I went along for an evening meal.

Although the decor was the same, everything else seemed to have gone downhill. After ordering at the bar and having finished our drinks, I would estimate that it took around an hour before we were served our meal. The food itself was ok, but it was that late 90's stacked up wanting to be upmarket, but actually just a large plate with very little on it. The waitress didn't apologise for the wait and considering the place was virtually empty - I was waiting to hear a plausible excuse...perhaps the chef...

All in all it was pretty disappointing, but due to the recent rave Sunday lunch reviews, I may give this place another go...I'll just have to convince my wife.

• Visited August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Superb Sunday lunch.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

So far in the lead in my quest for the best Sunday pub roast in Cambridge. Really well cooked grub, lovely flavours, good portion sizes. Services is pretty good too. The atmosphere is simple, gastro pub, nothing special, but its all about the food here.

• Visited September 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Started well”
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

When this place first opened it was fantastic. The food was brilliant, the atmosphere great and the staff were friendly and welcoming. Now it has gone a bit down hill. The food is still good but the beer is not up to scratch and the staff are just uninterested in customers. I won't go back.