“Disappointed”

Ranked #42 of 714 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Blue Lion in Hardwick provides a warm and friendly venue for a relaxing drink, a hearty business lunch or a sociable dinner with friends, family or colleagues.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was looking forward to a 'gastro' meal but was disappointed that my visit was decidedly average. I had the Sunday Roast Beef which was just OK and wasn't offered horseradish sauce, my husband had the burger but he's had better ones for half the price. We found the staff unfriendly and unhelpful too. We hadn't reserved a table so perhaps this makes a difference compared to other reviewers.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Part of "wanting to try something new" motto was driving to Hardwick. The place is quite big, they got tables on the front near the entrance. We were directed by a friendly staff to a table reserved when we got inside. After sitting, we were welcomed with an olive bread (only few gastro pub does this) with 2 kinds of spread to choose whichever that will tame a fussy taste bud. They have quite a few choices on the menu. We started the drinks with a half of noble and coke then we had red wine that was very nice. While waiting for our meal we had fun trying to catch a very wild fly. I had Pork T Bone that was good.

We enjoyed the meal which is quite dear but the experience was good.

1  Thank orientalcritique
Reviewed September 9, 2013

As someone on a GF diet it was the first time ever that I have been to a restaurant and they have bought me some GF bread to have before the meal. The fish was a very decent size and it had me feeling perfectly full. The staff were very friendly, smiley and helpful and in my view service with a smile always goes a long way. I would definitely come back and/or bring family to The Blue Lion to sample the experience.

1  Thank Joshua R
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Needing a venue where our family could gather from Suffolk, Herts and Bucks for a farewell gathering before we emigrate, we used tripadvisor to help us select somewhere in the Cambridge area. We were not disappointed. We started to trickle in at about noon one Saturday and after a spell relaxing in the sunshine outside, we made our way to a table laid for 12. Only one person was disappointed with their choice, but the rest thoroughly enjoyed their choices including the risotto, the sea bass on potato salad with chorizo, the calves liver and bacon,and the ham (particularly thick and tender) egg and chips. The service was excellent and friendly. We weren't rushed but nor were we left. Desserts were gobbled up and the espresso coffee was excellent too. The Blue Lion provided us with just the environment, food and relaxed service that we wanted. Family gatherings can be a mixed blessing, but we shall all fondly remember this time together.

2  Thank jrsmk1
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I went to this pub with my 7 yr old son, having read the reviews on Trip Advisor. He had fish and chips - whilst good they were apparently not up to the standard of "The Oyster Bar", at West Mersea. I chose a dish from the specials board - a pork, mustard and blue cheese pie. It was decidedly average. What's more the vegetables were appalling. Tasteless carrot, cooked in butter (but not long enough) - they were completely undercooked and flavourless. The green beans were cooked, but like the carrot, swimming in a huge amount of butter - I could not finish them.To top it off - for a bill totalling £23, the waitress had the cheek to ask me if I wanted any change from £30! Maybe my standards are too high, but if my husband had cooked this meal I would have been highly critical. Considering the high acclaim on Trip Advisor, very disappointing.